Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How did you find The Santa Killer by Ross Greenwood as I am planning on reading this book in January but have heard mixed reviews on it.
I just found it a bit boring in the end. Some parts were fine but it just became a bit of a chore, unfortunately.

Reactions: 2
I just found it a bit boring in the end. Some parts were fine but it just became a bit of a chore, unfortunately.
Yeah, that's what I found with his first book The Snow Killer although what disappointed me massively with that book is that from the very start you knew who the killer was which meant that there was no element of mystery to it.

Has anyone read Godkiller by Hannah Kaner?
I was tempted by the hardback recently but just seen it’s out in paperback this week - is it worth a read?
it’ll be my first intro into fantasy so want to know if it’s a good starter before I purchase

Reactions: 1
Not me reading 2 cookbooks so I can hit 100... 🤣
---
View attachment 2659650
managed 5 books in December, I feel like my reading has been so bad this month that I’m shocked I even made 5. Currently listening to The Dead Romantics by Ashley Poston and reading Take it Back by Kia Abdullah but I won’t finish either today!
how was the Xmas express? i have a few hrs to pick it up pn Kindle for 99p .. have been considering it

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I was tempted by the hardback recently but just seen it’s out in paperback this week - is it worth a read?
it’ll be my first intro into fantasy so want to know if it’s a good starter before I purchase
This is on my tbr/to be brought as well!

I have, it was Ok. It was quite slow for a short book but I did like the characters and will read the next one.

A couple of us suggested some good intro to fantasy books on the last thread but I’m having a blank trying to remember 🫣

Probably ACOTAR / Crescent City / Leigh Bardugo / Fourth Wing

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Happy New Year book friends ❤

Im settled in for the night now with a gin and my kindle. Hope however youre celebrating you have a nice time.

Thanks for another wonderful book year 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’m about half way through! I loved The Seven Year Slip and I’m not liking this one as much but I am enjoying it and getting through it quite quickly. I’m quite surprised about the author in general tbh because I usually wouldn’t be interested in magical realism but for some reason it’s working for me, and I like the way she incorporates grief into her books. What made you dislike it?
i found it unbelievably dull (in a way i wasn’t expecting from a book where the lead character can literally see ghosts) - i don’t think the very basic writing style helped build any kind of tension really, but i did feel bad because it was very obvious to me that the author was trying really hard. i thought it was an okay first draft with the potential to be a much better book sadly.

I have, it was Ok. It was quite slow for a short book but I did like the characters and will read the next one.

A couple of us suggested some good intro to fantasy books on the last thread but I’m having a blank trying to remember 🫣

Probably ACOTAR / Crescent City / Leigh Bardugo / Fourth Wing
leigh bardugo would always be my rec for good intros into fantasy! six of crows and ninth house are both 👌🏻🔥
---
Happy New Year book friends ❤

Im settled in for the night now with a gin and my kindle. Hope however youre celebrating you have a nice time.

Thanks for another wonderful book year 🥰
happy new year CF (and everyone) 🥳🥳

thanks for another year of book recs and book discussions: this is the loveliest book group i have ever been in x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Here’s my December reads. An Island Christmas was probably my least favourite. I couldn’t warm to some of the characters I was meant to.

Picking a favourite is hard as Flawless, The Christmas Book Club and Dead Mountain were all five star reads for me, for different reasons. Christmas book club is probably the one I’d most likely read again though, just hit the spot for cosy festive read with likeable characters.

8286D0BF-EBBE-4D5D-B868-529F96C9A1EC.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Happy new year all! Thank you for introducing me to some of my favourite books of all time, not judging the DNF, Beartown and 143 books on my Libby wishlist.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I only managed about 17 books for the full year but got me back into reading! Hoping to reach 35-40 in 2024 (very low compared to everyone else but hoping it works for me!) 📚

• Heart
Reactions: 17
how was the Xmas express? i have a few hrs to pick it up pn Kindle for 99p .. have been considering it
Meh it was okay. Nothing to write home about but I didn’t hate it. It was our book club pick on here this month so there’s a bit more discussion on that thread! A lot of average reviews
---
Happy new year when it comes book friends! This is my favourite thread on here and always my go to for book chat (more so than my real life options 🤣) can’t wait for another year of recommendations and chats 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Happy New Year Everybody ! Good health and good fortune (and great books) in 2024 ! Any good resolutions book-wise?

I think I'll aimed for pages instead of books in 2024: 12000+ pages, so 1000+ pages per month, seems alright. Hopefully, it will helps with reading longer books.

Some of my favourite books in 2023 were from your recommandations here (Normal People, The Robber Bride, Foster, Small Things Like These), so thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I want to read more physical books this year, starting with these! (Although ignore the Strike book, I need to read the others first!)

I want to delve into fantasy so I’m also hoping to start the ACOTAR series, my first Stephen King book (I know!) and just broaden what I usually read in general.

IMG_9202.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Happy New Year everyone! Another amazing year on this thread - my favourite place on the internet! I totally credit you lot for getting me back into reading over the last 3 years or so. In 2021 I read 66 books (having done about 10 the year before without this thread), 2022 was somewhere in the 90s (Goodreads has stopped working for me right now so I can’t get the exact figure) but this year is currently 124 but could be 125 if I finish my current book before midnight (only got 40 pages to go so I should do!). Now that’s a long sentence, apologies!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
i’ve just sat and made a list that i’m calling my 24 for 24, in another (probably futile) attempt to make a dent in my kindle library. if any of these are still sat unread going into 2025 i’ll be very disappointed in myself 😅

1. remarkably bright creatures - shelby van pelt
  2. pretty girls - karin slaughter
  3. penance - eliza clark
  4. the first day of spring - nancy tucker
  5. when i was ten - fiona cummings
  6. my absolute darling - gabriel tallent
  7. beartown - fredrik backman
  8. three hours - rosamund lupton
  9. notes on an execution - danya kukafka
  10. the things we do to our friends - heather darwent
  11. the way i used to be - amber smith
  12. strange sally diamond - liz nugent
  13. the end of the world is a cul de sac - louise kennedy
  14. duck feet - ely percy
  15. the last housewife - ashley winstead
  16. all the sinners bleed - sa cosby
  17. my darkest prayer - sa cosby
  18. the truth must dazzle gradually - helen cullen
  19. those people next door - kia abdullah
  20. none of this is true - lisa jewell
  21. small things like these - claire keegan
  22. all the lonely people - mike gayle
  23. next of kin - kia abdullah
  24. the one - john marrs

• Heart
Reactions: 19
i’ve just sat and made a list that i’m calling my 24 for 24, in another (probably futile) attempt to make a dent in my kindle library. if any of these are still sat unread going into 2025 i’ll be very disappointed in myself 😅

1. remarkably bright creatures - shelby van pelt
  2. pretty girls - karin slaughter
  3. penance - eliza clark
  4. the first day of spring - nancy tucker
  5. when i was ten - fiona cummings
  6. my absolute darling - gabriel tallent
  7. beartown - fredrik backman
  8. three hours - rosamund lupton
  9. notes on an execution - danya kukafka
  10. the things we do to our friends - heather darwent
  11. the way i used to be - amber smith
  12. strange sally diamond - liz nugent
  13. the end of the world is a cul de sac - louise kennedy
  14. duck feet - ely percy
  15. the last housewife - ashley winstead
  16. all the sinners bleed - sa cosby
  17. my darkest prayer - sa cosby
  18. the truth must dazzle gradually - helen cullen
  19. those people next door - kia abdullah
  20. none of this is true - lisa jewell
  21. small things like these - claire keegan
  22. all the lonely people - mike gayle
  23. next of kin - kia abdullah
  24. the one - john marrs
Highly recommend numbers 3,9, 20 & 24!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.