Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
it’s perfectly pleasant company right now , love the short chapters, and I am certainly enjoying it more than the Booker winners I abandoned. But I reckon my expectations were just impossibly high. Entirely your fault tbh
I enjoyed reading it, easy to pick up etc but I think it was after I finished it that I felt more ‘what a good book!!’

Reactions: 4
I've kept a physical reading journal for the past eighteen years. It's interesting to look back every now and then.
Can I ask what fortmat you use?

1. A Book, by An Author ****rating, number of pages (dates read)
Few lines about the book

2. Next book....

Do you buy a specific kind of journal? I am very much of the pen and paper sort. Plus like you said interesting to look back on once in a while.

Hi everyone!

I would love some suggestions to read in the fantasy genre. I would normally read thriller/murder mystery but looking to try something different.

I have just finished The Last Letter by Rebecca Yarros and have never cried so much in my life whilst reading a book 😩

Reactions: 2
Feeling very tired this morning because I could not put The Last Mrs Parrish down last night.

I already knew there was a twist and have seen it compared to The Housemaid so probably know more or less what’s coming, but that’s fine

I’m just over half way through and could easily finish it in one sitting if I had the time!

Who’s had 10 days of no school run but decided last night was the night to stay up to 1am to finish her book 🙋🏻‍♀️
Who’s child decided that today would be a good day to get up 4.30am 🙋🏻‍♀️ 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Coho is not for me but I will defend her until my last breath if shes got you back into reading.

My only disclaimer is I believe her books should be for a mature audience only as her portrayal of toxic relationships as romantic or something to aim for is concerning and I dont like the thought of 15 / 16 / 17 year olds romanticising that bullshit.
This is exactly how I feel - I can't stand CoHo but if it gets people into reading I'm all for it - it's just the content is so triggering and the idea of young girls (particularly) thinking toxic relationships are admirable worries me. Collectively there is a lot of work on social media to try and highlight this kind of toxicity and steer young people away from romanticising love bombing etc, and then you get CoHo :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 7
I still haven't picked up a book this year 😅 work has been so busy and by the time I get home I have a headache and I just want to completely shut my brain off.
Hoping to have a chill one this weekend and power through at least one!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Has anyone read the recent Tom Hanks book? The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece?

I requested it on audio from borrow box at least 9 months ago and its finally come through 3 months early but Im just not sure I fancy it now.

If its good then I'll give it a go.

Reactions: 1
Hi everyone!

I would love some suggestions to read in the fantasy genre. I would normally read thriller/murder mystery but looking to try something different.

I have just finished The Last Letter by Rebecca Yarros and have never cried so much in my life whilst reading a book 😩
Anything by Sarah J Maas, her world building is great and I get so invested in the relationships. I tried Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo but couldn’t get into it although lots of people love it. Her other books are supposed to be good too but haven’t tried them yet!

Has anyone read the recent Tom Hanks book? The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece?

I requested it on audio from borrow box at least 9 months ago and its finally come through 3 months early but Im just not sure I fancy it now.

If its good then I'll give it a go.
I’ve just reserved this on audio too, I love him 🫶🏻 Mind you, I’ve still not read Uncommon Type, although it is my U choice this year.

It’s funny because I’m listening to Demon Copperhead as I type this and it’s just mentioned Woody from Toy Story 😂

Reactions: 1
I saw something about a review boycott of Ruthless Vows but feels like it punishes the author more than the publisher. I saw a few people telling others off for posting about the book on X, like you said - feels a bit like an opportunity to belittle others rather than make any real difference.
What’s wrong with this book now? I used to love bookstagram but left it because it got toxic with people having a go if you read certain books or authors. What’s wrong with just reading what you want to read!

Reactions: 5
What’s wrong with this book now? I used to love bookstagram but left it because it got toxic with people having a go if you read certain books or authors. What’s wrong with just reading what you want to read!
I’m not entirely sure tbh - I think an employee of the publisher said something?! but unsure what that something was.
One of things that concerns me is people don’t seem to be seeking their own info or using their own judgment, someone comments and says ‘omg there’s a review boycott’ and the poster responds saying ‘ahh I’ll remove/edit my post’. The publisher has many books.. for the author the book release is obviously a big deal and that’s being tainted for them through no fault of their own. I’m sure books like Ruthless Vows will still sell well but maybe not for smaller releases.

Apols - that got a bit ranty!

Reactions: 5
Speaking of CoHo getting people into reading, she apparently has 4 books in the Top 20 bestsellers of 2023 so it looks like a lottttt of people are reading her! Also 4 for Richard Osman as well (hence him sharing this I guess!). I know people have differing views on the work of both these authors but totally agree that people should read whatever they enjoy.

PS - I did try and look at the whole Top 50 on The Bookseller website but you need to log in and I don’t have an account. Would be intrigued to see what else made the list if anyone can access it?

Attachments

Hi everyone!

Rebecca Yarros also wrote Fourth Wing & Iron Flame which are the first two book in The Empyrean series (Academia & dragons & romance)
Sarah J Mass, I'd start with the ACOAR Series (Magic, Courts, Politics, Romance lol)
Leigh Bardugo - Shadow & Bone / Six of Crows Duology (Magic/Found Family/Heists)
Rebecca Ross - Divine Rivals & Ruthless Vows (historical fiction romance fantasy)
Stephanie Garber - Caraval Trilogy (magic travelling circus with gods/fates)
Rachel Gillig - One Dark Window & Two Twisted Crowns (Shepard King Duology) (Historical & magic system in this is so good / unique, each card has different magic power)

• Heart
I’m not entirely sure tbh - I think an employee of the publisher said something?! but unsure what that something was.
One of things that concerns me is people don’t seem to be seeking their own info or using their own judgment, someone comments and says ‘omg there’s a review boycott’ and the poster responds saying ‘ahh I’ll remove/edit my post’. The publisher has many books.. for the author the book release is obviously a big deal and that’s being tainted for them through no fault of their own. I’m sure books like Ruthless Vows will still sell well but maybe not for smaller releases.

I was watching a TikTok the other day and someone was reviewing a book…. I can’t even remember what and they basically were slating it, some comments saying it was great, others saying it was trash. Someone commented “oh no I’ve bought this and now I don’t know what to do, should I read it? What should I do?” Honestly babes it’s a book, it’s not that deep. Do you want to read it? if so read it! If it’s rubbish DNF it and stick it in the charity shop 🙄
I mean I’ve read books about mystery solving goats 😂 not every book has to be Shakespeare 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I was watching a TikTok the other day and someone was reviewing a book…. I can’t even remember what and they basically were slating it, some comments saying it was great, others saying it was trash. Someone commented “oh no I’ve bought this and now I don’t know what to do, should I read it? What should I do?” Honestly babes it’s a book, it’s not that deep. Do you want to read it? if so read it! If it’s rubbish DNF it and stick it in the charity shop 🙄
I mean I’ve read books about mystery solving goats 😂 not every book has to be Shakespeare 😂😂
I'd like to read this mystery solving goat lol , it's like that video about the viva pinata video game, he spoke about it that much it made you want to play it hahah

• Haha
Reactions: 3

Don’t apologise! It just winds me up that people do things like this! And like you say, the author has nothing to do with it and they are being punished!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'd like to read this mystery solving goat lol , it's like that video about the viva pinata video game, he spoke about it that much it made you want to play it hahah
Jodi Allen Bryce The Harland Creek Mystery Quilters 😂😂😂😂
Now they are no Virginia Wolfe, the editing is shocking and the spelling questionable but they are quick and cute and wholesome, no swearing, no spice and they drink lemonade when they find a dead body 😂
And there’s a goat 🐐

• Haha
Totally! I laugh but the lack of independent thought is concerning.

If they bought the book they must have wanted to read it.. books are subjective, just because someone on TikTok doesn’t like it doesn’t mean it couldn’t be the book of the year for someone else 🤷🏻‍♀️ Unless the book was I’m a Fan in which case they should really give it a miss 😂
I’m sure a couple of others on the thread have said it before but one of the things I like about books is how they’re interpreted/land differently with others.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.