Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished Clare MacIntosh ‘I Let You Go’ earlier. A physical book that’s been on my shelf for years, I can’t even remember how I acquired it. It might be one my aunt gave me when she was having a clear out.

I devoured most of the book in the past 24hrs. Really gripped although very heavy reading. 5 stars from me and actually can’t believe it was her debut novel. I’d definitely like to read more of her books.

I’m a bit stumped what to read next though, I’m a mood reader but I don’t know what I’m in the mood for! I might try the first Virgin River book as it’s free on prime borrowing and I just cancelled my membership so it won’t be free for long. I’ve also got Great Circle (daunted by length though) and The Great Alone I’m also tempted with 🤔

Reactions: 13
@Tofino i love Clare Mackintosh books! Pretty much any of hers are good. She’s started writing a series, it’s 2 books so far. It’s alright but not as good as her standalones imo. I think it’ll pick up though.

Reactions: 6
@Tofino i love Clare Mackintosh books! Pretty much any of hers are good. She’s started writing a series, it’s 2 books so far. It’s alright but not as good as her standalones imo. I think it’ll pick up though.
ahh that’s good to know! I’ve seen Hostage is on 99p kindle offer at the mo.

Reactions: 1
ahh that’s good to know! I’ve seen Hostage is on 99p kindle offer at the mo.
I gave Hostage 5 stars so I must have liked it! 🤩 I remember it being quite clever and gripping. Definitely worth a go for 99p I reckon.

Reactions: 2
Hello and Happy New Year my lovely book buddies ❤

I've been unwell, still not feeling the best tbh but managed to finish The Good Samaritan by John Marrs last night. Good read although some parts were way beyond the realms of reality.

Despite my best efforts, I've already bought some kindle books for 99p 🤦‍♀️ I've also downloaded the 2 free Prime books that were available this month. I've made a new folder for 2024 books and will try to keep it small because the ebooks from 2020/2021 definitely need to be read this year.

edited for spelling

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m reading fool me once by Harlan coben as my boyfriend wants to watch it on Netflix but I refuse to watch tv adaptations before I’ve read the book 😂 I’m loving it so far! I’ve binged 40% of it in two days

Reactions: 11
does anyone else use the kindle app on their phone? mines has been glitching and ending the app for two days 😠

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I’m reading fool me once by Harlan coben as my boyfriend wants to watch it on Netflix but I refuse to watch tv adaptations before I’ve read the book 😂 I’m loving it so far! I’ve binged 40% of it in two days
I love Harlan Coben books and have most of them in my collection. Need to double check if I have read it yet as I am the same and need to read before watching movies etc based on books.

Reactions: 5
I have just finished An Unexpected Voyage by Clarissa Matthews and honestly I have mixed thoughts on this as some parts of the book I really enjoyed whilst other parts of the book I really hated.
1704409706270.png

Parts I liked
1. I liked the main character Olive as she was easy to connect with and I liked how she was willing to accept all the tasks that were given to her by the reality film crew despite her reservations about them.
2. I liked how the story resolved around the cruise ship the White Orbit as it made me imagine what it would be like on the cruise ship travelling around the world seeing as I have never been on one before.
3. I liked at the end of each chapter Olive would write an email to her husband Mike to tell him what she did each day which I thought was a nice touch as it made me wonder what he was thinking when he received these emails and if he wished he could have joined her on the cruise.
Parts I didn't Like
1. Too many characters which meant at times I struggled to remember who was who.
2. Some of the locations where the ship travelled to weren't even mentioned as they were completely bypassed or if they weren't bypassed they had a brief mention of what happened on the day.
3. I didn't like how the reality film crew were with them 24/7 and I felt uncomfortable for Olive as I wanted her to have a break to herself and chill out on the cruise, yet she still did everything that the reality film crew told her and I was willing for her to put her foot down as say no I don't want to do this but she didn't and it left me feeling annoyed with Olive.
4. I didn't like the ending as I felt that several things were still unresolved
Why did the crew just kick them off the ship without letting them explain themselves and why did the Captain kick them off so long into the journey without knowing about anything the reality film crew were filming? Honestly it made zero sense to me and I would have liked an epilogue to explain what happened to Olive after she returned home as the last paragraph had me stretching my head.

Here is the last paragraph of the book: Olive left them at the check-in without a goodbye. As travellers do. Don't be seen with people like this. Going through customs in a place like this. She needed a ticket to New York. First Class. It sounded a great apartment.

I binged the whole tv series in a day whilst I was “WFH” 😂

• Haha
I finished Clare MacIntosh ‘I Let You Go’ earlier. A physical book that’s been on my shelf for years, I can’t even remember how I acquired it. It might be one my aunt gave me when she was having a clear out.

I devoured most of the book in the past 24hrs. Really gripped although very heavy reading. 5 stars from me and actually can’t believe it was her debut novel. I’d definitely like to read more of her books.

I’m a bit stumped what to read next though, I’m a mood reader but I don’t know what I’m in the mood for! I might try the first Virgin River book as it’s free on prime borrowing and I just cancelled my membership so it won’t be free for long. I’ve also got Great Circle (daunted by length though) and The Great Alone I’m also tempted with 🤔
I loved The Great Alone!

Reactions: 3
Can I ask what fortmat you use?

1. A Book, by An Author ****rating, number of pages (dates read)
Few lines about the book

2. Next book....

Do you buy a specific kind of journal? I am very much of the pen and paper sort. Plus like you said interesting to look back on once in a while.
I'm afraid I'm very "Old School", my journal is one of those old compositions books, with the black and white marbled cardboard covers.
It's only divided by month and year.
I then list book title and author.
I generally don't rate books as I like most everything, if I'm really disappointed with a book, I will add "meh" to that line. If I really love a book, I will add a star.
As I said, I like most everything, but, as a rule, I don't read nonfiction as we are all surrounded by reality 24/7.
I only note the page numbers if I've read a novella (just to keep my yearly count honest).
Hope this helps (or inspires)!

Reactions: 4
I love Harlan Coben books and have most of them in my collection. Need to double check if I have read it yet as I am the same and need to read before watching movies etc based on books.
I love Harlan Coben books too! But I also need to double check whether I've read this one because I'm terrible for mixing up titles. I need more authors and filmmakers to include very specific details on the title so that I can remember which one is which 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Hello and Happy New Year my lovely book buddies ❤

I've been unwell, still not feeling the best tbh but managed to finish The Good Samaritan by John Marrs last night. Good read although some parts were way beyond the realms of reality.

Despite my best efforts, I've already bought some kindle books for 99p 🤦‍♀️ I've also downloaded the 2 free Prime books that were available this month. I've made a new folder for 2024 books and will try to keep it small because the ebooks from 2020/2021 definitely need to be read this year.

edited for spelling
I want to love John Marrs books. I love the ideas he has, and very black mirror esque and sound right up my street, but then I always end up disappointed when I read them. I think they don't feel believeable enough for me, just something about them.

Reactions: 7
I’ve always rated John Marrs fairly highly, usually giving his books 4 or 5 stars. Coincidentally, I’ve just started Keep it in the Family this morning. I have some reading groups pop up on FB and I’ve seen it mentioned twice in a couple of days. It was already in my TBR and also a KU book which I need to get through by March, so win win.

I’ve rated all John Marrs books either 4 or 5 (bar The Minders that I gave a 3). My favourites are The Passengers, What Lies Between Us and The Good Samaritan. He’s one of my must read authors - I love the dystopian feel but do think he could potentially push further into it. I’m really looking forward to his upcoming release.

I tried What Lies Between us on Audiobook, got half way and cancelled my subscription may have to have a look on Spotify see if it's included within their audiobook library!

Reactions: 2
I’ve rated all John Marrs books either 4 or 5 (bar The Minders that I gave a 3). My favourites are The Passengers, What Lies Between Us and The Good Samaritan. He’s one of my must read authors - I love the dystopian feel but do think he could potentially push further into it. I’m really looking forward to his upcoming release.
The Passengers has been in my top 3 favourite books since I read it in 2019. It’s one I would always recommend to people.

Reactions: 4
First read of 2024 completed! Icebreaker by Hannah Grace, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest of the Maple Hills series.
I'm now listening to ACOTAR on Libby to see if I enjoy it before commiting to purchasing the physical books, really enjoying it so far (only on chapter 5) but my first delve into fantasy!

Eta- forgot its actually now 2024! 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.