Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've had Slow Horses on my list since, April - gone from 42nd to 17th place. My library are moving from Libby to Borrowbox in Feb and no holds or lists will migrate, so I don't think I'll ever get it! I bought it from Amazon for 99p recently but still kept my hold 🤫
That does mean, if you treat it like trying to get Glastonbury tickets, you could be the first person to reserve it on Borrowbox 😉 I managed to listen to Slow Horses and Dead Lions on Spotify before they brought in their official audiobooks and purged all the bootlegs (but all the novellas can still be found on there for free 🤫). With the really popular books with such long waitlists it does surprise me that the libraries don't get more electronic copies!

Reactions: 1
I got both the Throne of Glass series and also the whole of ACOTAR for Christmas but I’ve got no idea which to start first!

I’m also really enjoying the Christmas break I’ve read 3 books so far.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
That does mean, if you treat it like trying to get Glastonbury tickets, you could be the first person to reserve it on Borrowbox 😉 I managed to listen to Slow Horses and Dead Lions on Spotify before they brought in their official audiobooks and purged all the bootlegs (but all the novellas can still be found on there for free 🤫). With the really popular books with such long waitlists it does surprise me that the libraries don't get more electronic copies!
My suspicion is it's down to expensive subscription fees and the chronic under funding of public libraries by local authorities. I haven't worked in a public library system but my (brief) time in HE libraries a looonnng time ago involved a lot of conversations with students about access to e-resources. Fun times!

Reactions: 6
A year off work sounds good, just need to win the lottery!

a study in drowing
The book that wouldn’t burn
The serpent and the wings of night
If only!!

I have the first two but haven’t read them yet..very me 🫣 have read and liked serpent!

Reactions: 2
I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns this afternoon. Absolutely made me cry! I haven't had a book do that for a while. It has now left me struggling to pick a new book from my pile as I don't feel I can give my full attention just yet. Does anybody else get this? This is new territory for me.

Reactions: 8
I got both the Throne of Glass series and also the whole of ACOTAR for Christmas but I’ve got no idea which to start first!

I’m also really enjoying the Christmas break I’ve read 3 books so far.
I would start with ACOTAR, it’s an easier introduction to the mass universe as Throne of Glass has a lot world building that can be intimidating. Hope that helps 🥰

Reactions: 7
Thank you all 😊 I’ll start with ACOTAR then. I’ve just got a few library loans that are due then I’m going to have a start on these!

Reactions: 3
Is ACOTAR a good introduction to fantasy reading? I realllly want to give them a go as so many people rave about them but I've never read any fantasy

Is ACOTAR a good introduction to fantasy reading? I realllly want to give them a go as so many people rave about them but I've never read any fantasy
I would say an absolute yes. I've read them, & loved them, & I don't typically read fantasy.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
It got me back into fantasy, I stopped reading for a while and Colleen Hoover got me back into reading after being that basic b and finding it via booktok 😂 but ACOTAR got me back into fantasy, I also love anything by Leigh Bardugo if you want to get into fantasy I also recommend her books

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Right, no book buying in 2024 here I come!

In prep I'm going to go through my bookcase and pick out 20 (that's my goal for 2024) books I definitely want to try and read. I'm also going to be tracking them in my diary.

Currently reading The 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and loving it!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I wish Libby worked on Kindle as I would read more of their ebooks. They have a good selection but reading on the iPad hurts my eyes. It makes no sense as I can use it for web browsing, emails etc. with no issue but as soon as I try to read a book my eyes get sore after a while.
I wish Borrowbox worked on Kindle.. i cannot squint at my tiny crappy phone

Reactions: 4
I’m still trying to finish Iron Flame

I gave up 😬 (oh wait edited to add I mean Fourth Wing not Iron Flame!)

--

My partner bought me Antarctica by Claire Keegan I'm very excited to read it! I have a few book goals this year -

- aim to read 52 books in the year
- read all of Claire Keegan's books, and read some Toni Morrison (not aiming for all in this year as I'm not sure how many she has!) and also try some classics, I might start with Austen or the Brontes, and read Anne of Green Gables
- join a book club and go to every months meeting. I found one and our January read is Yellowface

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Ooh I’ve found my new home. Only got back into reading this year but still have a few books to go in my 2023 challenge so it’s going to be a busy few days with all my books I’ve checked out the library (returned to using the library to make good use of the service and save money).

Just finished Rumaan Alam’s Leave the world behind after starting to watch on Netflix. Was disappointed with it and not sure I want to watch the rest of the movie. (Once I realised it was based on a book I had to read it first before watching anymore)

Moving onto a Cecilia Ahern book I was given as a freebie.
I read it and can't imagine what its like on film. if it has the same ending i am not surprised people are moaning about the films ending
---
With the really popular books with such long waitlists it does surprise me that the libraries don't get more electronic copies!
Apparently according to staff at my local library they are SO DEAR. compared tpo print booksOurs only stocks a tiny amount on Borrowbox and not usually any titles I'd ever fancy reading
---
Listening to this atm and LOVING it.
She’s amazing and tells her story so well
I have that and her second one.on Kindle. absolutely sped through them. Love how I can imagine her voice reading it..

I've just finished book no. 105 of 2023. 🎉 going to stay with some friends for the next few nights so unlikely to squeeze anymore in.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, the books i've read throughout the year have mainly been recommendations from here.

I love the little reading community we have here ❤ Happy new year to you all, and hopefully we'll have many more threads in 2024! 🎉🥂

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.