Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didnt get through all my festive books. Guess theyre going back on my list for next year because I really dont feel like reading them now.

Ive got 2 to finish and then I will be moving on to my January reads :) I really fancy Penance now because of all the good reviews.

Reactions: 18
I haven't read even half of the Christmas books on my kindle. To get fair though I did manage to read some longer/older Christmas books and a few paperbacks so I don't feel too bad. Might head to bed early tonight and read for a while.

I'm hoping to be more mindful of the books I buy in the new year and avoid 99p deals as much as possible.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I've deleted about 10 books tonight that we're Kindle freebies downloaded about 10 years ago.

Feels good reducing the number slightly but still sitting with 144 on there without adding more. Going to be strict next year and only buy 99p deals I really want and DNF'ing books i don't enjoy.

Reactions: 15
I didnt get through all my festive books. Guess theyre going back on my list for next year because I really dont feel like reading them now.

Ive got 2 to finish and then I will be moving on to my January reads :) I really fancy Penance now because of all the good reviews.
Me too! I thought I’d get it if it came on up on 99p deal but have seen a few more reviews recently that influenced me to include it in my Waterstones sale order.

Reactions: 3
Me too! I thought I’d get it if it came on up on 99p deal but have seen a few more reviews recently that influenced me to include it in my Waterstones sale order.
Yes I bought it on a 99p offer but think it may be better in physical book format. So I think you may have won there. :D

Its on offer for £2.99 on audible but not sure how well it would work.

Reactions: 4
We’ll gloss over the fact I bought 4 books I didn’t need today 🫢
This needs to be my plan for next year too!
I say this but I know I won't be able to help myself.

I think going through 2023 hiding my book purchase transactions from my bank is a sign that it's out of control 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I just bought some books with Amazon vouchers :ROFLMAO: My TBR pile is too much, I must control myself:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Ooh I’ve found my new home. Only got back into reading this year but still have a few books to go in my 2023 challenge so it’s going to be a busy few days with all my books I’ve checked out the library (returned to using the library to make good use of the service and save money).

Just finished Rumaan Alam’s Leave the world behind after starting to watch on Netflix. Was disappointed with it and not sure I want to watch the rest of the movie. (Once I realised it was based on a book I had to read it first before watching anymore)

Moving onto a Cecilia Ahern book I was given as a freebie.

Reactions: 13
My main issue with borrow box is having to request books so far in advance and then when I finally get it I dont fancy it at that point.

Just had Kristin Hannah - Another Life crop up and I dont know if I want it now. Annoying.

Reactions: 8
Free books available now for stuff your kindle day.

This is the link for romance but it’s split into sun category’s for fantasy, sci-fi, women’s fiction etc

I'm going to download a few different genres to try branch out my reading more! Quite excited about it!

• Heart
My main issue with borrow box is having to request books so far in advance and then when I finally get it I dont fancy it at that point.

Just had Kristin Hannah - Another Life crop up and I dont know if I want it now. Annoying.
Yeah I have this problem too. I use the reading list option, I try and add things that are rarely requested so that, if I'm on a load of waiting lists/a book becomes available I'm not in the mood for, I can return it and check my reading list for something available now. I also sometimes will return a book and then re-request it, putting myself to the back of the queue in case I will want it when it next becomes available.

It has been frustrating me recently, because I've been reading a lot more. So I've started using the actual library itself for physical copies. When I request a paper book I seem to get it much quicker (was on the waiting list for the Mick Herron on BorrowBox for a year, and current waiting list for it goes up to 2027. However there are loads of paper copies of various books of his and I've read 4 in the last month).

Yeah I have this problem too. I use the reading list option, I try and add things that are rarely requested so that, if I'm on a load of waiting lists/a book becomes available I'm not in the mood for, I can return it and check my reading list for something available now. I also sometimes will return a book and then re-request it, putting myself to the back of the queue in case I will want it when it next becomes available.

It has been frustrating me recently, because I've been reading a lot more. So I've started using the actual library itself for physical copies. When I request a paper book I seem to get it much quicker (was on the waiting list for the Mick Herron on BorrowBox for a year, and current waiting list for it goes up to 2027. However there are loads of paper copies of various books of his and I've read 4 in the last month).
I've had Slow Horses on my list since, April - gone from 42nd to 17th place. My library are moving from Libby to Borrowbox in Feb and no holds or lists will migrate, so I don't think I'll ever get it! I bought it from Amazon for 99p recently but still kept my hold 🤫

Reactions: 5
I’ve just been to Waterstones and bought three new books 🫣

I have a TBR cupboard and two drawers full!
2024 needs to be a quiet one to get me through all of these books 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve just been to Waterstones and bought three new books 🫣

I have a TBR cupboard and two drawers full!
2024 needs to be a quiet one to get me through all of these books 😅
I’m similar. I need to either take a year off buying books or a year off work!
What did you get?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Ooh I’ve found my new home. Only got back into reading this year but still have a few books to go in my 2023 challenge so it’s going to be a busy few days with all my books I’ve checked out the library (returned to using the library to make good use of the service and save money).

Just finished Rumaan Alam’s Leave the world behind after starting to watch on Netflix. Was disappointed with it and not sure I want to watch the rest of the movie. (Once I realised it was based on a book I had to read it first before watching anymore)

Moving onto a Cecilia Ahern book I was given as a freebie.
I enjoyed leave the world behind after finding it in my library 2 years ago- it was short although the ending was annoying! I haven’t watched the Netflix adaptation yet but assumed if they kept the same ending people would be frustrated
---
I’ve struggled to read anywhere near as much as I usually do this year but got back into it in the tail end of the year with rereading ACOTAR. Now I’m downloading loads of free fantasy smut from Amazon for my kindle😈

Reactions: 4
I’m similar. I need to either take a year off buying books or a year off work!
What did you get?
A year off work sounds good, just need to win the lottery!

a study in drowing
The book that wouldn’t burn
The serpent and the wings of night

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.