Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wish Borrowbox worked on Kindle.. i cannot squint at my tiny crappy phone
Agreed. Ive stopped requesting e books on borrow box. I hate reading on my phone too. I will do it in a bind if Im caught short and dont have my kindle but Id never choose to read on it. I can use my ipad but I find it cumbersome and heavy. Also it hurts my eyes if reading for long periods of time.

I only request audio books but I know thats not for everyone.

Reactions: 8
I just finished An Island Christmas by Jenny Colgan which feels like an achievement as it was a paperpack copy I bought probably 3 or 4 years ago.

I’ve now read 3 festive books in a row and think I’m done. I did have two more I wanted to read in December but they will have to wait until next year now!

My next read is Dead Mountain, the untold true story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident which was on my Amazon wishlist for years but I saw it on kindle store the other day for £1.57. Feels good to finally get round to reading this!

There is definitely an extra layer of satisfaction finishing books that have been on the TBR for ages.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I finished the two I was reading so I’m at 85 books, happy with that number for the year 😄

the first was bright young women by jessica knoll which I really liked! I gave it 4.5 stars, I do think I missed some details due to listening on audio and zoning out at times (this is the biggest downside of audiobooks for me because it could’ve been a 5 star read) but I really loved the way it was done. As someone who used to love true crime, I’ve recently become interested in the ethics of it, and this book really nails the issues with the widespread obsession with true crime imo. highly recommend!

the second was murder on the christmas express by alexandra benedict which was just an average thriller. gave it three stars, didn’t dislike it but wouldn’t recommend it

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Managed to get ACOTAR on Libby so going to give it a go! Excited!!! :m

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My suspicion is it's down to expensive subscription fees and the chronic under funding of public libraries by local authorities. I haven't worked in a public library system but my (brief) time in HE libraries a looonnng time ago involved a lot of conversations with students about access to e-resources. Fun times!
Yeah, it's terribly expensive. Some here might find this interesting

Reactions: 6
Yeah, it's terribly expensive. Some here might find this interesting
I think the fact that Overdrive was bought by a private equity firm (KKR oversaw the end of Toys R Us) means Libby's days are numbered. I use it a lot, so I would definitely miss it, but I need to make sure I check physical books out of my library.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I finished the two I was reading so I’m at 85 books, happy with that number for the year 😄

the first was bright young women by jessica knoll which I really liked! I gave it 4.5 stars, I do think I missed some details due to listening on audio and zoning out at times (this is the biggest downside of audiobooks for me because it could’ve been a 5 star read) but I really loved the way it was done. As someone who used to love true crime, I’ve recently become interested in the ethics of it, and this book really nails the issues with the widespread obsession with true crime imo. highly recommend!
I've just finished it too, I really enjoyed it.

I had no idea it was based on Ted Bundy and thought it was really clever to have the 2 timelines, one based on fiction and one based on a real life victim

Reactions: 2
I'm still reading the George Alagiah book but it's not what I thought.
Here's me thinking it was his autobiography, and it started off like that but no it's about multiculturalism, terrorism and lots of other isms.
It's made me desperate to pin down my Asian friends for a discussion about it. But they have busy lives, so it's unlikely and if I try to remember what it's about when I can get them altogether I'll probably fail.
But it's been an eye opener. I can understand why the people that originally migrated to the UK feel resentful of the new migrants, and how this might come across as racism. Even George himself a model of politeness was reduced to swearing in Bradford when he realised the migrant he was talking to hadn't bothered to integrate, as he could live in his own enclave in the UK.
I'm getting the impression that the Labour Party have pandered to this which has caused a culture of not mixing and resentment.
Not what I was expecting to be an easy read over Christmas.

Reactions: 3
Is ACOTAR a good introduction to fantasy reading? I realllly want to give them a go as so many people rave about them but I've never read any fantasy
Yes it’s what got me into it and it’s definitely my favourite series! First one is a bit of a slower burn but the 2nd book is fantastic. I really wish the world was real!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just finished wreck the halls by Tessa Bailey. Not sure if I like tessas writing. I didn't mind it happened one summer but this was pretty bad. Maybe I'm just not a romance smut reader 😂

Reactions: 3
I've just finished it too, I really enjoyed it.

I had no idea it was based on Ted Bundy and thought it was really clever to have the 2 timelines, one based on fiction and one based on a real life victim
Neither did I until I googled it! I like how it was based on that but not too obvious that it took over the book, although I did laugh when it mentioned that there was another film about him coming out, this time played by Zac Efron

Reactions: 1
Has anyone read through the snow globe by Annie rains? Think that's the name. It's a time loop book heard nothing but good things about it

I just finished wreck the halls by Tessa Bailey. Not sure if I like tessas writing. I didn't mind it happened one summer but this was pretty bad. Maybe I'm just not a romance smut reader 😂
i find her hit or miss tbh! i liked hook line and sinker but literally just read sincerely yours and really wasn’t into it. and her dirty talk makes me a bit awkward 🤣 (i do have ridiculously high standards for romances though)

I have this and I’ve seen so many negative reviews I think I might give it a miss 😂

Ive just finished The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell - tbh I had to drag myself to finish it which has taken me like 2 weeks. Didnt really enjoy it but another to add to the list!

Reactions: 7
I just finished Murder on the Christmas Express- it was a good read but I was expecting more of an Agatha Christie vibe rather than the topical focus it seemed to take

I dont read many thrillers but came across this and it sounds interesting. The book is Speak of the Devil. I know the links dont work for some

Deal: Speak of the Devil: The most addictive feminist thriller of the year https://amzn.eu/d/exgsdbc

Reactions: 4
Ive just finished The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell - tbh I had to drag myself to finish it which has taken me like 2 weeks. Didnt really enjoy it but another to add to the list!
I finished that recently and didn’t fly through it like I thought I would

I finished that recently and didn’t fly through it like I thought I would
I thought it would have been so good and I'd fly through it too, but just really didnt enjoy it at all. I dont really like storys that jump back to present and past time!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.