Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good Reads award winners released.

I must be honest, I am again extremely shocked at best mystery and thriller book being a Freida McFadden book. They are popular I get that but she steals ideas its almost verbatim of another book.

Not shocked to see Emily Henry winning best romance again. I did enjoy Happy Place though. I know others didnt.

Reactions: 13
Good Reads award winners released.

I must be honest, I am again extremely shocked at best mystery and thriller book being a Freida McFadden book. They are popular I get that but she steals ideas its almost verbatim of another book.

Not shocked to see Emily Henry winning best romance again. I did enjoy Happy Place though. I know others didnt.
Interesting, just had a look. Has anyone read the one that won in historical fiction - Weyward?

I haven't read happy place but really hated book lovers by her so nor rushing in to read her other ones 😅

Reactions: 4
Interesting, just had a look. Has anyone read the one that won in historical fiction - Weyward?
yep! and i found it really mediocre (though with a beautiful cover) - very pedestrian writing and a plot that didn’t really know what it wanted to be. there was so much other great historical fiction this year that i’m surprised by its win.

Reactions: 7

I haven't read happy place but really hated book lovers by her so nor rushing in to read her other ones 😅
I really enjoyed it. I like historical novels that have multiple pov and timelines. Might not be for everyone though

I hated book lovers too!! Was such a slog.

Reactions: 2
I actually liked book lovers 🤪
But not enough to rush out and read any of her other books just yet!

Reactions: 6
Thanks for the replies on giving books as gifts. I remembered on Amazon you can go to your order history and ‘share gift receipt’ so I will buy a physical copy and then do that if she’s already read it.

It’s Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. My friend likes WW2 era fiction. Quite fancy it myself tbh but I have enough to read at the mo!

Reactions: 2
Reading The Girls by Emma Cline atm, about 100 pages in and liking it so far but i took it on holiday and on the plane back my water bottle leaked and now the pages are all crinkly 😫

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Most of the Goodreads categories were quite predictable tbh, the same authors win whenever they release a book. Emily Henry is a dead lock for romance. As soon as they announced the Romantasy category i said 'Fourth Wing will win that'. Would have been interesting to see it go up against a Sarah J Maas who is the usual winner of Fantasy.

I enjoyed reading my way through the nominees I owned. None of my votes won 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 10
i know many on here don't like freida mcfadden but this year i got through all of her books it just really worked for me! i sent her a congratulations on instagram and she said thanks 😂 i feel starstruck 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

Weyward is one of my favourite books this year. Loved everything about it

Reactions: 5
Has anyone read any Ruth Heald books, just finished one which I really enjoyed but looking at her others they all seem to be in a similar vein, so nit sure if I want to read any more or not?

Reactions: 1
i know many on here don't like freida mcfadden but this year i got through all of her books it just really worked for me! i sent her a congratulations on instagram and she said thanks 😂 i feel starstruck 😂
I usually listen to her books on audible and I like them for something easy. They’re not the best books out there but I like them.

• Heart
yep! and i found it really mediocre (though with a beautiful cover) - very pedestrian writing and a plot that didn’t really know what it wanted to be. there was so much other great historical fiction this year that i’m surprised by its win.
I thought similarly, I think my expectations may have been a bit high but I felt like there was something missing. Disappointing as I love multiple POV and/or timelines.

I've got The Housemaid and so excited to read it after all the raves on Booktok!!

• Heart
I think I may be a bit naive to how the Goodreads Choice works.. but I don’t understand how the Ali Hazelwood book that’s only been out a month got so many votes! I know she’s popular but I’m sure the first round of voting was a few weeks ago now 🤔

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.