Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im also on cannot be fucked mode and also only have weekends and public holidays off.

I'll deal with it in the new year is v much my thought process at work atm.
I think that’s my thought process too because my projects aren’t due to start till January but I’ve got to do all the prep work now so everything is ready for launch but I just can’t do it. I had a massive error when I scheduled the project launches for my first day back after two weeks of leave. What was I thinking?!

Reactions: 4
I am in can’t be fucked mode but just been given a new project that needs full scoping before NY and is high profile so will be noticed if I leave it and I literally just want to curl up with my books and read with the Christmas lights on but I can’t 🥲

Going to spend the weekend reading though and finish The Girls and move onto Penance.

Also got back from holiday today and had six days of my little book decoration calendar to open and got so many cute classics!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Curtis Sittenfeld - I've just finished Romantic Comedy and loved it, are any of her others worth a read? I tried Eligible, and liked the premise of it but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.

In other news - my library has just emailed saying they are going to move from Libby to Borrowbox in the new year. All holds, borrowed lists and wishlists will be lost. 😭 I have had a hold on one book since April, am now in 17th place - what are the chances that I'll never get it after waiting all this time?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Curtis Sittenfeld - I've just finished Romantic Comedy and loved it, are any of her others worth a read? I tried Eligible, and liked the premise of it but I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters.
american wife will always be her best book imo, so i would rec that highly! i really like prep and rodham too (though the latter isn’t without issues 🤣) - i struggled with eligible too, but i think it was more her writing style just doesn’t have the warmth needed for that type of story.

Reactions: 7
Has she read all the novellas?
Unclear. She keeps telling me about how she has requested them from the library but "they can only get them in large print or from the prison" and she seems to think if they come from the prison they'll have... I dunno, drugs in them or something? 🤷‍♀️

The Chronicle of St Mary's books might be worth a look.
Thanks, that sounds up her street. The first GoodReads review is certainly scathing XD

• Haha
Reactions: 2
american wife will always be her best book imo, so i would rec that highly! i really like prep and rodham too (though the latter isn’t without issues 🤣) - i struggled with eligible too, but i think it was more her writing style just doesn’t have the warmth needed for that type of story.
Agreed - American Wife is a great read!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Going to spend the weekend reading though and finish The Girls and move onto Penance.
I finished this on audio yesterday and thought it was a really interesting listen.

Although, and I’m not sure I should be admitting this, I was about 80% through before I realised it was fictional 🫣 I wondered why my search results were producing nothing at all. I’m an idiot.

Reactions: 3
I finished this on audio yesterday and thought it was a really interesting listen.

Although, and I’m not sure I should be admitting this, I was about 80% through before I realised it was fictional 🫣 I wondered why my search results were producing nothing at all. I’m an idiot.
Oooo the fact you thought it was real though makes me even more interested!

I’ve got Z left to read from my a-z challenge then I’m done! Reading verity first, it’s been on my kindle for a while. I’m finding it a bit meh.

Reactions: 6
Ive decided I think I may have a cull with my TBR. Feel like if it was on my list this time last year and I havent even considered reading it then it should go? Argh I cant decide.

I’ve got Z left to read from my a-z challenge then I’m done! Reading verity first, it’s been on my kindle for a while. I’m finding it a bit meh.
I loved Verity, it felt a bit slow at first then it picked right up and I couldn't put it down!!!

Ive decided I think I may have a cull with my TBR. Feel like if it was on my list this time last year and I havent even considered reading it then it should go? Argh I cant decide.
I don't think you should do this. The only reason he's still there is because you've probably bought more books 😂 12 months isn't really long enough to think you'll never read it.

I cleared mine out but books I bought in 2012. If it's 10+ years, then they have to go.

I've decided in 2024 I am not buying ANY MORE books.

So naturally I bought two more in preparation today.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
In other news - my library has just emailed saying they are going to move from Libby to Borrowbox in the new year. All holds, borrowed lists and wishlists will be lost. 😭 I have had a hold on one book since April, am now in 17th place - what are the chances that I'll never get it after waiting all this time?
oh no! Have you checked on Vinted? Lots of books on there for £1, might be better to just cut your losses and then sell it again afterwards!
---
I've decided in 2024 I am not buying ANY MORE books.

So naturally I bought two more in preparation today.
This is so relatable 😆 I feel the same, not buying any more. Except the special editions I already have on order. And the pre-orders. And anything else that looks really, extra special …!!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’ve thought about this too. Always talk myself out of it incase I end up with nothing to read, as if that’s ever going to happen 😅

• Haha
Noooo!

Why don’t you make some kind of challenge to get through some? Either read one old book each month, along with whatever else you fancy. Or try another A-Z, going through the older books first?

Reactions: 7
Give them another year! You may feel them in the next year instead!
when you can’t decide what to read close your eyes and pick from them or put them into a randomiser to help you pick them

I’ve thought about this too. Always talk myself out of it incase I end up with nothing to read, as if that’s ever going to happen 😅
Abliophobia... I can relate 😅
---
I’m just over halfway through The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and honestly I’m so bored.. what’s everyone’s thoughts on it?
Very over-hyped and shouldn't have even been marketed as a book for adults. Preachy. Loads of errors in my edition. Feel like the editors were lazy with it as they knew the author would sell well whatever and they'd pump funds into a huge marketing boost. Good concept though 😅.

Last edited:
Abliophobia... I can relate 😅
---

Very over-hyped and shouldn't have even been marketed as a book for adults. Preachy. Loads of errors in my edition. Feel like the editors were lazy with it as they knew the author would sell well whatever and they'd pump funds into a huge marketing boost. Good concept though 😅.
*abibliophobia, even.. not a word I've ever written before!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.