Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For anyone like me who hasn’t read this yet, Claire Keegan’s Small Things Like These is a 99p Kindle offer today. Seen so many people leaving about ti on these threads so looking forward to finally getting to it. Added bonus of being a very short one for anyone trying to hit a target before the end of the year!
Thank you! I’ve been waiting for (and probably missing this deal 🙈) for ages!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
For anyone like me who hasn’t read this yet, Claire Keegan’s Small Things Like These is a 99p Kindle offer today. Seen so many people leaving about ti on these threads so looking forward to finally getting to it. Added bonus of being a very short one for anyone trying to hit a target before the end of the year!
Thanks for this! I’ve never read any of her books but they’ve been recommended a few times.

Reactions: 1
Went to pick up my ordered books from the library today and why do I do this to myself 🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷 The Barbra Streisand book is an absolute tome!!!!

Reactions: 2
Do you buy books as gifts for people? I’ve seen one I’m sure my friend would enjoy but wondering what the chances are she has read it! She doesn’t have Goodreads so I can’t check her history which is a bloody pain in the backside 😅

Can you return books with Amazon? Or get a gift receipt with Waterstones? I don’t know whether retailers accept book returns/exchanges given there is a chance someone could have had a sneaky read if they don’t bend the spine.

Reactions: 5
Do you buy books as gifts for people? I’ve seen one I’m sure my friend would enjoy but wondering what the chances are she has read it! She doesn’t have Goodreads so I can’t check her history which is a bloody pain in the backside 😅

Can you return books with Amazon? Or get a gift receipt with Waterstones? I don’t know whether retailers accept book returns/exchanges given there is a chance someone could have had a sneaky read if they don’t bend the spine.
If you send direct from amazon as a gift the recipient can exchange.

Do you buy books as gifts for people?
Every Christmas I always buy the People's Friend and My Weekly Annuals for my mum as she loves reading the short stories that they have in them and as she also loves reading War Romance books I often get her one's that I think she will enjoy.

• Heart
I'm really enjoying the Shirley Williams autobiography. What an interesting and intriguing life she has led. I keep having to Google things. Still questioning if Peter Parker was the British Rail bloke or some other person. 🤔 (She had an 18 month relationship with him).
Then she's on about Robert Runcie (didn't he marry Charles and Di? Anyway, he had been an officer in the Scots Guards and won the Military Cross!!!
I'm only on page 105. She reminds me of a Swallows and Amazons character, fearlessly roaming the globe as a school age child. Sometimes completely alone as in World War 2.

Finished Foster and Walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan. 5 stars. Her talent to say so much with so little words is mindblowing.

I've been in a dark mood the last month, and her books strike the right spot between making me feel hopeless by mankind's shittiness and rekindling my hope in the humankind. Again, thanks to the people here for recommending Keegan, as I'd have never heard about her otherwise ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Waterstones accepts returns if it's in "pristine" condition and I've given my dad a gift receipt from there before and he returned with no issues

I usually try and sneakily probe if someone's got or read a book by dropping it into the conversation but obviously it risks the person being interested and buying it themselves 😅

Any Lisa Jewell fans? I just finished None of This is True on audible and it was excellent but very confusing at the end!

Reactions: 10
Any Lisa Jewell fans? I just finished None of This is True on audible and it was excellent but very confusing at the end!
I had to listen to the ending 3 times and I'm still not sure I get it 🤣

I had to listen to the ending 3 times and I'm still not sure I get it 🤣
me too, I think that might be the point? The narrators were fab, especially Josie as she sounds so weird 😂 I’m really not sure what happened at the end 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ran to request Exile. Sounds like a bit of me.

Really enjoying Green Dot by Madeleine Gray. Thank you to those who mentioned it here!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I know the whole premise of the book was that it constantly made you rethink your assumptions about the characters, and the ending was just another way of doing that, but I kind of wish there had been a nice neat ending to it. I’m a bit over the whole “you make your own decisions” endings. I don’t want to do that much work as a reader! Having said all that it was still one of my fave books of this year.
me too, I think that might be the point? The narrators were fab, especially Josie as she sounds so weird 😂 I’m really not sure what happened at the end 🤷🏻‍♀️

I do! Just with a gift receipt so people can return for a different book if they've read it. This is often the case with my Dad but I repeatedly give him a book anyway! 😅

@SaintLeo completely agree, I like a nice tie up ending especially when it’s something like that but it was definitely an excellent book nonetheless! 😄

Got "None of this is true" as an audiobook and am now hoovering up all her novels, really compelling!

I think the ending was just making the point that the truth is somewhere in the middle of everyone's stories.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.