Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, I’m new to this thread 👋🏼
Currently reading The Cruel Prince and liking it so far. I love fantasy & historical fiction, although I’ll read pretty much anything. Booktok has a lot to answer for over the past year! I’m obsessed with special editions too 🤩

Reactions: 9
Oh thank you, some of these look more up my street so I’ll take a look!

Distinctly remember last year on Christmas Eve reading The Final Girl Support group so not very festive of me 😂
Last Christmas I saved Midnight in Everwood as a festive read and it was a struuuugggle to get through, so I read Good Girl Bad Blood instead!

Reactions: 1
Also new here 👋🏻
I've read the Virgin Suicides, Penance and Notes on an Execution this year- the latter two being brilliant! I really enjoyed Boy Parts too, I wish I could have seen the play! Penance is very different to BP!
I saw the play. It was good but the actress was pregnant which didn't fit with my picture of drug taking, drinking, disorderd eating Irina! (She was good though, but you know, the images did match)

Reactions: 2
Hi, my name is WeepingCassandra and I am addicted to buying books and never reading them. I often forget that I own books and have bought a couple several times (Hamnet for some reason seems to be a particular problem for me - I have bought it in two charity shops, returned one copy and then rebought it yet still have it on my TBR). I complain that I'm too tired/busy to read but realistically I just don't prioritise it any more and that makes me very sad. Growing up I was a ferocious reader, as a teen I'd easily read three to five books a week of varying calibre, from trashy teen fiction to serious classics. I've read four books this whole year :(

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Hi, my name is WeepingCassandra and I am addicted to buying books and never reading them. I often forget that I own books and have bought a couple several times (Hamnet for some reason seems to be a particular problem for me - I have bought it in two charity shops, returned one copy and then rebought it yet still have it on my TBR). I complain that I'm too tired/busy to read but realistically I just don't prioritise it any more and that makes me very sad. Growing up I was a ferocious reader, as a teen I'd easily read three to five books a week of varying calibre, from trashy teen fiction to serious classics. I've read four books this whole year :(
It's so easy to not read, I find. There are so many distractions and I'm permanently tired. I really have to make a concerted effort. I haven't been reading much lately and once you're in a slump it's hard to get out of it!

Following book accounts on Instagram really motivates me as I see how it's possible to read a lot and also learn of new and interesting books and authors. And the passion is contagious. The same with this thread! It's so nice to be part of a book loving community.

Accidentally buying books I already own happens too much to me also. Especially with Elena Ferrant books for some reason. I haven't even read any of them yet!

Welcome to our club! The best thread on Tattle!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Hello, I’m new to this thread 👋🏼
Currently reading The Cruel Prince and liking it so far. I love fantasy & historical fiction, although I’ll read pretty much anything. Booktok has a lot to answer for over the past year! I’m obsessed with special editions too 🤩
I didn't expect to enjoy Cruel Prince as much as I did, wound up going through the series speedily earlier this year. Loved Jude and her sisters (and Cardan!).

Reactions: 4
Hi, I’ve been exactly the same. I’ve only started reading regularly again since September. Booktok can get a lot of criticism (not on here) but honestly it made me excited to read again when I found it. Maybe it was FOMO! then i found this thread which has also helped immensely.

I think smartphones is the number 1 reason I stopped reading as much over the last 10-15 years. 2015 was the year I first started using Goodreads and I read 8 books. It was downhill after that and 2017 I had my child which made the reading slump even worse!! 1-3 a year. But I’m back and have read 15 in 3 months. Some of them short but still far more than ever.

I found atomic habits useful to develop a reading habit. Just tell yourself you will spend two minutes each day reading. Two minutes. And if you do that you will be reading every day and it helps bring back that identity of being a book reader. And often once you start reading, it’s easy to carry on.

With that said I’ve spent the time since my son went to sleep on my phone instead of reading. I just picked up Flawless by Elsie Silver which is a TikTok bestseller! Something to do with small town cowboys 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hello all, come to join in from the swiftie thread 👋🏻

managed 31 books so far this year and think my fave has been Notes on an Execution.

Currently rereading The Virgin Suicides which was my fave book as a teen, I want to read Penance by Eliza Clark next as I’ve heard really good things and love Boy Parts.
I loved boy parts too. But penance didn't hit the mark for me and was a slog to finish by the last third. Didn't feel like there was any pay off 😕

I didn't expect to enjoy Cruel Prince as much as I did, wound up going through the series speedily earlier this year. Loved Jude and her sisters (and Cardan!).
I’m at the point where Cardan is just so mean that I just can’t see how the enemies to lovers is going to develop and I love that! I have the rest of the series ready to devour over Christmas 😄
---
I finished Britney today.

Het parents 🤬 that poor girl.
I felt so sorry for her after finishing that book. She has been completely exploited.

Reactions: 3
I felt so sorry for her after finishing that book. She has been completely exploited.
Absolutely! It's effectively modern slavery, but legal as the Courts approved it.

So sad she was let down by so many people in her life.

• Sad
I’ve been making to do lists for the last few days and even included reading/listening on there. So reading the next 10% of my book for example. Even if you only have a little time to do it, I just shorten the amount. I find it works as I hate not completing my lists!

Reactions: 7
The main thing that helps me read more is my kindle streak, I always make an effort to read even if it’s for 5/10 minutes a day otherwise I’ll lose my streak

Reactions: 8
I am just finishing "The Last Goodbye" by Tim Weaver which I have really enjoyed. I think I've read all his books which feature investigator David Raker who investigates missing person cases and I've liked them all. The previous book I read was "The Drift" by CJ Tudor and whilst I thought it was a good book I found it a bit gory.

I am just finishing "The Last Goodbye" by Tim Weaver which I have really enjoyed. I think I've read all his books which feature investigator David Raker who investigates missing person cases and I've liked them all. The previous book I read was "The Drift" by CJ Tudor and whilst I thought it was a good book I found it a bit gory.
I've just finished The Drift. I enjoyed it, I didn't know it was going to go down that genre route before going in but really liked the setting.

For anyone who’s been wanting to give Demon Copperhead a read it’s a Kindle Daily Deal today. £1.19 rather than 99p but still a bargain! 😂

I’ve just finished The Cat who Caught a Killer and it was a strange one 😂 I don’t mind magical realism in Japanese fiction but this being set in the UK threw me 😂 so I had to imagine Conrad the cat as a human detective in the end as a talking cat felt weird in this setting. Was overall a nice easy read though

I also saw the film first (at like 12 yrs old - my mum rented it for me as she thought it looked like a teen film I might like. lol definitely was not suitable but we move) and I don’t know if I love the film so much it made me like the book, but I think I agree it’s better but I also just think it perfectly captures the atmosphere described in the book.

The Lisbon girls were quite literally my teen obsession though so idk if it’s just nostalgia that makes me love it still.
the absolute chokehold that the virgin suicides had on me as a teenager!!!

"You're not even old enough to know how bad life gets!"
"Obviously, doctor, you've never been a thirteen year old girl."

• Heart
Reactions: 6
For anyone who’s been wanting to give Demon Copperhead a read it’s a Kindle Daily Deal today. £1.19 rather than 99p but still a bargain! 😂
I'm tempted by this but not sure if I should buy this or wait to my next Audible credit and listen to it.

ETA: It's 21 hours long. I can't cope with that so book it is!

Also tempted by Demon Copperhead but it looks a bit intimidating and overwhelming 😮💨

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.