Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AllieBee

VIP Member
Woo, The Christmas Appeal by Janice Hallett has become available for me on Libby 🥳

I finished a Christmas thriller last night and started The Shite Before Christmas, so I’ll read this one after. Doing well with the Christmas reads so far!
I quite liked the Shite Before Christmas would be a 3.8/5 stars for me. I found the language a bit repetitive though. I kept thinking I'm gonna scream if I read the the words ride or boke one more time!

• Haha
Reactions: 2

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I’m currently reading Mat Osman’s The Ghost Theatre and really enjoying it.
Oooh I'm intrigued by that, I saw it on the shelf the other week but decided my TBR pile is too high. I might have to go back for it now.
---
I keep going to pick up ink black heart and then put it back on my shelf due to the size 😂 I think I'm going to save it for the in between Christmas and NY days when I have nothing else to do but read and eat chocolate.

I've just finished Death Comes to Marlow, the second Marlow Murder Club, and think I potentially prefer them to Thursday Murder Club?
Oooh I am also intrigued by the Marlow Murder Club, having read the Thursday ones.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I have this on my tbr and honestly I don't think I can do it, I find terminal illness too hard to read about. All the reviews I've seen have made it seem a brilliant book, though.

I just finished Part of Your World by Abby Jimenez and loved it. Got me out of my slump, all of the characters were well done, it was just so readable.
i thought part of your world was very sweet! (however the second abby jimenez i read was NOT) - it had one of the most likeable male leads i’ve read in a romance this year, he was lovely. i have forgotten his name but he was 🔥

• Heart

nbt

VIP Member
Ours is 30p for reserving physical books. I’ve only been successful getting one so far and have then cancelled others as they’ve been available quicker in other formats.

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I lost this thread and was wondering where you all were.
Ive been so busy lately which I shouldn’t complain about but it’s totally messed up my reading time! I’ve got the new Adele Parks - Just Between Us - from the library and have to finish it by next week 😬 Has anyone read it?

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I’m pleased it’s not just me! It definitely feels like anything I read and finish now wouldn’t count.

Also Remarkably Bright Creatures is going to be my official first audiobook of 2024 too for that very same reason!
I noticed Tess Bailey books reduced to a pound in the bookshop. I put it back after reading Tattlers reviews.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
My December list:
1. The Last House Guest - Megan Miranda 8/10
2. Murder on the Christmas Express - Alexandra Benedict 8.5/10
3. The House of Eve - Sadeqa Johnson 9/10
4. Yellowface - R.F. Kuang 7.5/10

Still reading:
5. Ein Bild von Dir - Jojo Moyes
6. Traummann an Bord - Sylvia Filz & S.K
7. The House in the Pines - Ana Reyes

With this cold weather I am taking all the the free time for reading.
In morning 1h, directly after work 30min and in the evening 1h.
And I absolutely love it!
I take it you'll be sunbathing this weekend, now it's warming up? You can still read and sunbathe. 😉
The House of Eve book title sounds interesting. What kind of book is it?
ETA That's if you're in the UK re the weather.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Has she read all the novellas?
Unclear. She keeps telling me about how she has requested them from the library but "they can only get them in large print or from the prison" and she seems to think if they come from the prison they'll have... I dunno, drugs in them or something? 🤷‍♀️

The Chronicle of St Mary's books might be worth a look.
Thanks, that sounds up her street. The first GoodReads review is certainly scathing XD

• Haha

Tofino

VIP Member
Thanks for the replies on giving books as gifts. I remembered on Amazon you can go to your order history and ‘share gift receipt’ so I will buy a physical copy and then do that if she’s already read it.

It’s Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead. My friend likes WW2 era fiction. Quite fancy it myself tbh but I have enough to read at the mo!

strawb

VIP Member
Yes that’s the one. It came up on my tiktok fyp yesterday and I had to get it. Apparently it’s really dark 😱 I’ve never read fanfic so I’m jumping straight in at the deep end
the reviews are really good!

• Heart
Hello all, come to join in from the swiftie thread 👋🏻

managed 31 books so far this year and think my fave has been Notes on an Execution.

Currently rereading The Virgin Suicides which was my fave book as a teen, I want to read Penance by Eliza Clark next as I’ve heard really good things and love Boy Parts.
I loved boy parts too. But penance didn't hit the mark for me and was a slog to finish by the last third. Didn't feel like there was any pay off 😕

AllieBee

VIP Member
Just finished Friends Like These by Sarah Alderson, quite good I gave it 4 stars. Just about to start The Shite Before Christmas, bit wary as it's billed as a laugh out loud comedy, and often I am so disappointed by the comedic writing style if the author, it often feels a bit try hard if you know what I mean. But it has 4.6 amazon stars so I'm hopeful!

CommentBelow

Oooh I’ve not really got any festive reads, maybe I should look into some, I find a lot are romance though which is not a genre I am into 😬
What about crime? I feel like I’ve seen a lot of festive crime around this year.
These were on an email from Penguin (I think!) https://www.deadgoodbooks.co.uk/cos...xQWL3nBmlw_n_TpkqLnNlLMxS94BvqHiFaWhIr2kfuifU
---
Has anyone else been fawning over the Harper Collins painted classics editions? They are so beautiful, I ordered some on TikTok as HC had a really good sale and the Little Women edition arrived today and it’s just gorgeous!

I also collect pretty editions of wuthering heights and have asked for the chiltern classics one for Xmas so my bookshelf is gonna look 😍😍😍
OMG yes! I’ve got Secret Garden in my basket and trying to resist..

…and welcome btw!

• Heart

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I finished the two I was reading so I’m at 85 books, happy with that number for the year 😄

the first was bright young women by jessica knoll which I really liked! I gave it 4.5 stars, I do think I missed some details due to listening on audio and zoning out at times (this is the biggest downside of audiobooks for me because it could’ve been a 5 star read) but I really loved the way it was done. As someone who used to love true crime, I’ve recently become interested in the ethics of it, and this book really nails the issues with the widespread obsession with true crime imo. highly recommend!
I've just finished it too, I really enjoyed it.

I had no idea it was based on Ted Bundy and thought it was really clever to have the 2 timelines, one based on fiction and one based on a real life victim

CommentBelow

A year off work sounds good, just need to win the lottery!

a study in drowing
The book that wouldn’t burn
The serpent and the wings of night
If only!!

I have the first two but haven’t read them yet..very me 🫣 have read and liked serpent!