Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

CommentBelow

I've hit my reading goal for the year so December is going to be the month of FAT BOOKS that I am otherwise concerned will ruin my momentum.

Love Songs of WEB Du Bois
Priory of the Orange Tree
The Count of Monte Cristo

I might even try and trudge through my non-fiction book on the Romanovs.
I’ve got a couple of books to finish then I’ve hit my new goal and was thinking of going for one of the chunky books on my pile too.. I also have love songs and count on my shortlist - along with the goldfinch and empire of the vampire!

Reactions: 2

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Ok guys winter time was meant to be me in my fanatasy and epic reads era and now I have gone into full smut mode! 🤣

Give me all the red flag taboo reads recommendations please 🙏🏽
What tropes do you prefer? Do you want plot or just smut? What books have you liked?

I can maybe help.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

strawb

VIP Member
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
i am so sorry for your loss, sending you lots of hugs 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Thatgirl22

VIP Member
I really enjoyed one dark window, the magic system was so unique! I have two twisted crowns on my TBR after my festive reads and I finally want to commit to Throne of Glass 😅
I just finished TTC, it was sooo good, I love the magic system, it works really well! Also love TOG, hope you enjoy it! I want to reread that but it is a big commitment 😅

Tofino

VIP Member
@Caffeine Fiend Thanks! I’ll check them out. Should have mentioned I mostly like crime, thriller type books but open to other genres. I’ll laugh if anyone recommends the account i unfollowed. Maybe i was secretly jealous of her library like reading room and the fact she could read all day and have nothing else to do. 🤭
whatmichaelareads is a thriller account. I found her on TikTok but she does Instagram too

• Heart

CommentBelow

My mum loves reading as much as I do. She loves pretty much any fiction book but recently has been rather taken in by the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaranovitch. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything similar I could look at for Christmas?
Has she read all the novellas?

Elelel

I still can't believe I've been in a slump since the end of summer :cry::cry: I'm still reading Iron Flame which I'm struggling with a lot (even though Fourth Wing is the best book I've read this year). Decided to listen to Thursday Murder Club so I can get through a book whilst doing other things and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I also went to the library and picked up an Agatha Christie to get into the winter mood haha. Hopefully December will be a better reading month for me 🥰 I have the days between Christmas and New Years off with no plans so I hope to spend those days reading
I'm feeling the same about iron flame. I'm half way through it and it's taken me a while, not sure why!

JLXRD

VIP Member
I'm obsessed - personally I've never loved historical fiction about her as it often leans into the negative spin on her character (especially the Phillipa Gregory books!) I've not read the Alison Weir of her story, but Alison is sympathetic to Catherine and Jane in their respective books so it might be what you're after.

Nonfiction wise I devoured the Starkey and Antonia Fraser biographies of the Six Wives and also the Eric Ives bio of just Anne.
Thank you, I will take a look at these, I think I’d like the nonfiction too.

Im most interested in Anne and Katherine Howard so the one about the six would be good for me.

SaintLeo

VIP Member
My favourite book is memoirs of a geisha - has anyone else read it? Awful film, stunning book. Not often a book makes me cry!
Yes I love Memoirs of a Geisha. It’s one that I love enough to reread every few years. And I actually don’t mind the film either. There are much worse film versions of some of my other favourite books! (Looking at you Eric Bana and Rachel McAdam in The Time Travellers Wife!)

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Maybe that's why I'm manically reading all the books I've wanted to buy for years.
I've just got The French Gardener from the library and I'm hooked I tell you! Mysterious and magical is how I would describe it so far. Can feel myself staying up till the early hours to finish it. 😬🙄🙄
I'm never going to get anything done for Christmas at this rate! 🤭

JLXRD

VIP Member
Welcome, glad you came over ❤ I bought Penance yesterday! 😁 Im in my festive reads now so wont start it this year I dont think unless after Christmas.
Oooh I’ve not really got any festive reads, maybe I should look into some, I find a lot are romance though which is not a genre I am into 😬

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
@Carapop lots of love, from a fellow hospital inmate.

My children are too big for stories now. They read to themselves, but I can still recite The Snail and the Whale.

I am reading some Mo Hayder, the Jack Caffrey series. They are detective thriller with a good dose of horror thrown in.
Yes my eldest doesnt read at all now much to my sadness. Secondary school and too much going on in the phone 😤

My youngest is starting to branch out into chapter books they can read themselves and I read the trickier ones to them at night. I will miss it when they dont want me to do it anymore.
---
I don’t know. If I read The Smartest Giant in Town 382 times then do I log it once or 382 times?
Haha I remember those days. Monkey Puzzle is my favourite JD book 😍

Mooordgirl

VIP Member
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
So sorry for your loss, look after yourself ❤

• Heart

AllieBee

VIP Member
Anyone who has read Dolly Alderton books (I haven't read any of hers yet), can you recommend someone who writes similar books to hers? I need to get a Christmas present for someone who loves DA books but has read them all already?