Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
@Chocolategoggler I think you misread my comment I said county not country. I'm in the UK too. The county is Lancashire and members can borrow or return books to any library in Lancashire which I think is a very good service. They also have different groups who use the library such as knit and natter and childrens' groups etc. last winter it was also designated a warm hub for people needing to keep warm during the energy crisis.
Sounds like mine without the charges. Maybe that's next for us. 🤔😬😔

Reactions: 1

Tofino

VIP Member
My favourite book is memoirs of a geisha - has anyone else read it? Awful film, stunning book. Not often a book makes me cry!
I watched the film many, many years ago and I’m sure i enjoyed it so maybe I will add the book to my reading list. I don’t usually like reading a book after I’ve seen the film as the film ruins my own imagination, I just picture scenes from the film, but I think it was that long ago I watched it I can barely remember the film itself.

I find many films don’t live up to the books but I think that’s the power of our imagination!

Hannahebee

VIP Member
I think a Christmas themed thriller might hit the spot, has anyone read The Night Before Christmas - Alex Pine? Or recommend something similar?
I read his previous book The Winter Killer and whilst it was an enjoyable read I thought it was a bit predictable in places.

LydiaDeetzHat

VIP Member
I was talking to my OH about getting one and also a stand so I can just lay in bed, like a mummy.

He said to me 'could you get any lazier?'

No, no I could not. 😁
to be fair i saw a stand on someones YT and thought that would be a good idea if I had anywhere to stand it as my arms often get tired holding my Kindle

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
Finished GGGTM last night. Wasn't overly satisfied with the ending tbh.

It felt quite random for Elliot to have killed Sal as 'he thought Andi would be found dead anyway' - like why not just wait? And to kidnap a random other girl and keep her secret for 6 years? Odd. Also didn't really like that Becca was the murderer, definitely thought if it was family it'd be Andi's Dad.

Mamacita

VIP Member
I've hit my reading goal for the year so December is going to be the month of FAT BOOKS that I am otherwise concerned will ruin my momentum.

Love Songs of WEB Du Bois
Priory of the Orange Tree
The Count of Monte Cristo

I might even try and trudge through my non-fiction book on the Romanovs.
That sounds interesting, what's the book on the Romanovs?

twilightgarden

VIP Member
It’s silly but they’re obviously relaxed and informal on the podcast and the book will be more formal. Sometimes it sounds weird and I don’t like it 😂

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Omg I read them in the summer I just have hopeless to read, I looooved them such a guilty pleasure 🤭
---
I just ran here to say I just saw Waterstones triple/double points but obvs I’m too slow 🤣 happy buying guys!
I am really loving them. Im only at Cade and Willa's book just about finished it. I loveeee Cade. So much. Grumpy Daddy is my vibe 😂😂

JLXRD

VIP Member
I read Alison Weir’s The Six Wives of Henry VIII earlier this year and would recommend @JLXRD. It definitely focuses more on Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn than the other 4 but as the name suggests she covers all of their stories.
Thank you, I will add this to my list 😊

lilamay

VIP Member
Abliophobia... I can relate 😅
---

Very over-hyped and shouldn't have even been marketed as a book for adults. Preachy. Loads of errors in my edition. Feel like the editors were lazy with it as they knew the author would sell well whatever and they'd pump funds into a huge marketing boost. Good concept though 😅.
*abibliophobia, even.. not a word I've ever written before!

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Favourite non fiction book of the year?

Counting the cost - used to be a big duggar fan back in the day before the scandals so is amazing to see someone grow so much and figure out who they are and what they believe. Nice to see someone setting positive boundarys and realise they grew up in a cult essentially and how it is not normal.
Have you watched Shiny Happy People? Jill is so brave.

I’m still reading the new Terry Hayes and it has really taken an unexpected turn 75% into the novel it’s turned into World War Z. It’s like reading two completely different books and/or genres 🤯

Icbaaaa

VIP Member
1000035532.png

I'm fairly new to Goodreads but clueless on how to use it. Does anyone know how i update the % read? Ive been marking them off as i go and 13 marked read but the tracker isnt updating?