Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finished The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Jenny Bayliss really enjoyed this was a great festive read, it moved at a good pace was chocked full of Christmas throughout unlike some festive books. Also great as a book that can be picked up and put down as each chapter is a 'date'. Now moving on to The Christmas Bookshop by Jenny Colgan.

Reactions: 5
Hi everyone, I didn’t realise there was a books thread!

I have been trying to finish my Goodreads challenge before Christmas, I need 3 more books before new year which is do-able! I just finished “A short stay in hell”. Which I really enjoyed but was left having a bit of an existential crisis haha.

So if anyone has any recommendations of novellas I would highly appreciate it!

• Heart
Have we all seen this? :(
That is disappointing. I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to give credit.

I finished We All Want Beautiful Things. I loved it. It was a quick and easy read, in spite of the subject matter. Thought it was a really accurate depiction of death from a terminal illness too. I teared up reading it on my phone in a waiting room, but I don't think anyone noticed 😂 Definitely not a book I would have been aware of without this thread. So thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I finished We All Want Beautiful Things. I loved it. It was a quick and easy read, in spite of the subject matter. Thought it was a really accurate depiction of death from a terminal illness too. I teared up reading it on my phone in a waiting room, but I don't think anyone noticed 😂 Definitely not a book I would have been aware of without this thread. So thank you!
it’s such a beautiful book - glad you enjoyed it 💙 i’ve thought about it a lot since i finished it, and think it’s going to stay with me for a while. fully agree about how accurate it was, and how it didn’t sentimentalise the whole final days. so well done.

finished happy place literally moments ago and, while i love my girl emily henry, i get why so many people weren’t into this one. i couldn’t shake the feeling that the central couple weren’t well matched, and it all got very rushed at the end, i am unsure of how many stars to give it 🤣

edit; went to read some of the goodreads reviews and this probably summed up my thoughts:

IMG_4477.jpeg

2.5 stars from me. sorry emily, i still love you 😭😭

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Hi everyone, I didn’t realise there was a books thread!

I have been trying to finish my Goodreads challenge before Christmas, I need 3 more books before new year which is do-able! I just finished “A short stay in hell”. Which I really enjoyed but was left having a bit of an existential crisis haha.

So if anyone has any recommendations of novellas I would highly appreciate it!
I’d always recommend The Skylight by Louise Candlish as it’s the one that’s stuck with me

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Okay so I tried a merry little meet cute, got 20% in… nope 👎 looked at the GR reviews and they’re 2/3 stars, why am I picking duff reads 😫😫

Reactions: 2
I reeeeallly want to read Penance but I’ve picked up a vile cold and all I can do is lie and watch tv 🫠

Re Emily Henry… I’ve not read any of her books, I’m not normally a romance girly. Are they more .. contemporary or are they very cutesy? I’d like to give them a try but I’m just not sure.

For reference i read The Flat Share and that’s too cutesy for me, is it that kind of vibe or more TJR type of fiction where it’s a good story with romance in there?

Reactions: 2
I reeeeallly want to read Penance but I’ve picked up a vile cold and all I can do is lie and watch tv 🫠

Re Emily Henry… I’ve not read any of her books, I’m not normally a romance girly. Are they more .. contemporary or are they very cutesy? I’d like to give them a try but I’m just not sure.

For reference i read The Flat Share and that’s too cutesy for me, is it that kind of vibe or more TJR type of fiction where it’s a good story with romance in there?
More contemporary imo but Ive only read 2.

Reactions: 1
I only learned about StoryGraph on here and uploaded all my books last night. I think I love the ‘up next’ feature, think it might make it easier to plan out what I want to prioritise reading. Especially books I’ve had on my shelves for years that I don’t want to give up on but seem to never get round to reading which will be even harder now I’m loving my kindle so much.

I’m currently on The Plight Before Christmas which I think @Caffeine Fiend recommended.

These are my next ones. The last 3 are paperbacks I’ve had for years and probably started reading at least one every Xmas but never finished (my slump rather than the book) so I’m determined to read them this Christmas and get them off my shelves for good!

4EC30F46-B059-4E23-B2C2-632C26E4427E.jpeg
05478A09-68E4-4A50-A7A7-06C44990DA71.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Have we all seen this? :(
Oh wow. I read the book recently, and searched for the games after to see if they were based on anything IRL or had inspired any games to be made and hadn't come across this. As @Albrouze said, it wouldn't be hard to give credit. And it must have been a deliberate omission, that she would eventually acknowledge that she used Brenda Romero's game when prompted. I don't know if anyone has seen, or seen the discussion of, Hbomberguy's YouTube plagiarism video this week, but I do think the wholesale lifting and repackaging of other people's work for your own profit/gain/artistic endeavours is rife nowadays (see also, AI for art/writing - I think a well established SF zine had to close doors to new writer submissions because they were being flooded by AI-generated work. Or Caroline Calloway, whose writing output is a patchwork quilt of phrases and sentences lifted from published authors).

Oh no this is my next pick! :( Ive got the sequel too.
Oh no, sorry! 🙈 I think it’s because I’m a mood reader, I’ve started two twisted crowns instead and on 25% and really engrossed in this one. I wanted to be in my festive reads era but I’m still on my dark academia era 😂

Oh no, sorry! 🙈 I think it’s because I’m a mood reader, I’ve started two twisted crowns instead and on 25% and really engrossed in this one. I wanted to be in my festive reads era but I’m still on my dark academia era 😂
TTC is amazing, I finished it in two sittings 😅 I really want to reread both of those books, such a good duology!

Reactions: 3
I’m about 35% into Iron Flame and I’m enjoying it enough but after loving Fourth Wing I’m feeling slightly… meh. Hoping it picks up!

Before that I read Unholy Saints (DCI Kett) by Alex Smith. I always rave about that series on there but it’s so justified, I enjoy it so much 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m about 35% into Iron Flame and I’m enjoying it enough but after loving Fourth Wing I’m feeling slightly… meh. Hoping it picks up!

Before that I read Unholy Saints (DCI Kett) by Alex Smith. I always rave about that series on there but it’s so justified, I enjoy it so much 😅
I've only read Paper Girls so far in the DCI Kett series but enjoyed it very much!

• Heart
I've only read Paper Girls so far in the DCI Kett series but enjoyed it very much!
Love this. I reckon I’ll reread them all at some point, they’ve become comfort reads for me now because I like the characters so much 🙂

• Heart

Iron Flame was definitely a little slower than Fourth Wing but still really good, I’m excited for the next book, I hope we don’t have to wait too long..

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.