Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Starting The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah tonight. Been meaning to read this for a long time.
I didn't expect to like this book as it was so hyped but I really loved it

Reactions: 2
I've finished Skin by Liam Brown which I downloaded for 99p. I would give this 3.5/5. Interesting story, very realistic and easy to imagine. I kept forgetting this was based in the UK. My imagination kept slipping to this being an american home etc until I saw "mum" or Centre". I didn't like a couple of the characters in the book and I felt the ending wasn't particularly satisfying and easy to guess.
I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out and a bit underwhelming. I didn’t like that the son was the whole key to the ending because I’d hated him all the way through. I wanted to know if the virus was still there, how/if they came out of quarantine etc - perhaps because those questions are so pertinent to our lives right now.

Reactions: 1
I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out and a bit underwhelming. I didn’t like that the son was the whole key to the ending because I’d hated him all the way through. I wanted to know if the virus was still there, how/if they came out of quarantine etc - perhaps because those questions are so pertinent to our lives right now.
I agree!!!! It didn't satisfy any of the questions about the virus, why was she not infected, why would Charlie hack and reveal those things? I didn't think it was satisfying at all. Very disappointing because it was good until the husband tried to VR rape her and it turns out her son is a psycho. Also being pregnant Seemed so easy to predict once I realised she had sex. It became the expectation that was who she was talking to. But it was an enjoyable read and I'm glad it was 99p.

Liam Brown's other book Broadcast looks good. I think I need a break from dystopian for a little bit as my last 3 books in the last week have been the same genre. I AM STILL THINKING ABOUT THE LAST ONE AT THE PARTY 😂 😂

I was thinking earlier on because my husband upset me by turning on the TV whilst I was reading - I would love to know how you all read.

For example I like it to be quiet or have complete silence and I prefer reading whilst laying on my bed. In normal world I would sometimes on the bus in the morning when it was quieter and less busy but never coming home as it was too noisy. I would sometimes read in the kitchen at work but I'd have white noise on my earphones to drain out the noise of others.

Last edited:
I agree!!!! It didn't satisfy any of the questions about the virus, why was she not infected, why would Charlie hack and reveal those things? I didn't think it was satisfying at all. Very disappointing because it was good until the husband tried to VR rape her and it turns out her son is a psycho. Also being pregnant Seemed so easy to predict once I realised she had sex. It became the expectation that was who she was talking to. But it was an enjoyable read and I'm glad it was 99p.

I was thinking earlier on because my husband upset me by turning on the TV - I would love to know how you all read.

For example I like it to be quiet or have complete silence and I prefer reading whilst laying on my bed.
I need silence too - no background music or tv at all. Can’t read if people are talking around me either like in a waiting room or something. The only thing I like to have in the background is like ‘ambience sounds’ - like rain or fireplace sounds on YouTube to just cut out everything else around me and feel cosy.

• Heart

Liam Brown's other book Broadcast looks good. I think I need a break from dystopian for a little bit as my last 3 books in the last week have been the same genre. I AM STILL THINKING ABOUT THE LAST ONE AT THE PARTY 😂 😂

I was thinking earlier on because my husband upset me by turning on the TV whilst I was reading - I would love to know how you all read.

For example I like it to be quiet or have complete silence and I prefer reading whilst laying on my bed. In normal world I would sometimes on the bus in the morning when it was quieter and less busy but never coming home as it was too noisy. I would sometimes read in the kitchen at work but I'd have white noise on my earphones to drain out the noise of others.
Shall have to check those two out.

Well I’m currently reading on my phone in dark mode on the floor of my sons room as he’s not well and cries every time I get up to go. To be honest it’s perfect conditions (despite the poorly child) - it’s dark, it’s quiet, I’m relatively comfy though my legs are getting a bit pins and needley now and I’m dreading having to stand up quietly to make my escape.
I’m generally a read in a quiet spot kind of reader but I can just about manage if the afore mentioned child is pottering about or has Cocomelon/Bounce Patrol on that reading helps to drown out.
I do also like reading in bed with or without headphones playing some kind of soundscape too. I’ve read every night in bed since September last year and I’m really quite proud of myself given I read for years and years regularly and then all of a sudden stopped. It’s great to be back in the swing of it.

Reactions: 4
I can read anywhere regardless of noise or comfort level. However I can also sleep in the same.

Mt favourite place to read though is in bed 😊

Reactions: 3
I can and do read anywhere, in any level of noise or distraction, I literally lose myself in my book 😊
My favourite place to read is by the patio doors in our dining room in my comfy chair with my legs propped up on the corner of the table. Bliss.

You’ve intrigued me so I’m going to read this next.

Finally finished People Like Her about 2 weeks after the rest of you 😂 - not had much opportunity to read lately. Enjoyed it, easy to read. Makes you think it’s all lies, which I reckon a lot of the more cynical of us Tattlers have believed all along! Just waiting for the house of cards to fall...

I’ve started The Arrangement, promising so far, and I received my prime first reads email but I haven’t chosen anything yet. I usually go for the thriller type selection, but nothing is jumping out at me this month. I see a few of you have plumped for The Aftermath, which would usually be my go to, or perhaps The Next Wife? I don’t know. I may wait for your reviews first!

I’m reading it at the minute, I’m just under half way through and I’m really enjoying it so far. However I started it with low expectations as I thought it had been so over hyped in the media etc.

I’ve just finished Win by Harlen Coben and thought it was fantastic - so great to get to find out more about Win as he’s mentioned in some of Harlen Coben’s other books.
Win is such a fantastic character. I love the Myron Bolitar books

I am reading the Aftermath and I am so confused but I definitely want to keep going 😂

Reactions: 4
I enjoyed The Aftermath. It wasn’t quite what I was expecting but I liked the characters. It reminded me a bit of Liane Moriarty and Diane Chamberlain. The South African setting made a nice change as I’ve been reading a lot of UK and US books lately.

I ended up going for The Watcher Girl from prime first reads in the end but haven’t started yet.

Finished American Dirt yesterday so can’t wait for the book club discussion to open now

I just finished "The perfect wife" and was underwhelmed. It is about AI and it didn't grip me.

Any ideas for good historic novels?

Reactions: 5
I’m almost a quarter into Skin and the similarities between the situation in the novel and our experiences with COVID are uncanny.

I just finished "The perfect wife" and was underwhelmed. It is about AI and it didn't grip me.

Any ideas for good historic novels?
I like Philippa Gregory and and CJ Sansom. I loved Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett too.

I’m almost a quarter into Skin and the similarities between the situation in the novel and our experiences with COVID are uncanny.

I like Philippa Gregory and and CJ Sansom. I loved Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett too.
Forgot about Pillars of the Earth! Great book, lengthy. Didn’t care for the follow ups mind.

More recent history (20th century) I enjoyed Follet’s Century Trilogy. Also, set in Stalin’s Russia the Eye of the Red Tsar and the series that follows (Inspector Pekkala), by Sam Eastland - brilliant.

I’m 43% through The Aftermath and just waiting for something to happen. Nothing has made me excited or intrigued yet.
I don’t think it’s that kind of book, really. I thought it would be suspenseful but it wasn’t. More an exploration of how something that happened sends ripples through the years that follow.

I don’t think it’s that kind of book, really. I thought it would be suspenseful but it wasn’t. More an exploration of how something that happened sends ripples through the years that follow.
Yea I’m getting that vibe, it’s interesting but it’s not really making me desperate to read on. I think every book should make a reader excited to finish it regardless of the genre - the reader needs a reason to read on and this just isn’t giving me enough of a reason.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.