Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm reading so much lately and i'm buying them either brand new or used on amazon, in Tesco or Asda and i seem to be spending a lot of money! I've never used a Kindle before, but i'm beginning to think it might be cheaper for me to read on. Does it take awhile getting used to reading from it than an actual book? I've got an new IPAD can I read Kindle books for free on that?
I would think you could get the kindle app for an iPad - I have it on my iPhone. I was so anti kindle for years but now I barely touch actual books (and it breaks my heart a little) but it’s actually much easier to read on my phone sometimes. Just take some time to get the font, colour and size the best for you - for example I find a cream or black background works best for me rather than the bright white.

Reactions: 7
I'm reading so much lately and i'm buying them either brand new or used on amazon, in Tesco or Asda and i seem to be spending a lot of money! I've never used a Kindle before, but i'm beginning to think it might be cheaper for me to read on. Does it take awhile getting used to reading from it than an actual book? I've got an new IPAD can I read Kindle books for free on that?
I was a bit iffy about a Kindle and thought I'd prefer a physical book but omg I wouldn't be without it. It's fab to read from, choose different fonts etc. A lot of books go on sale for 99p there's loads of free and v cheap reads and the joy of reading about a a book and having it seconds later. Instant gratification. So a book in Tesco may be 3.99 but 99p on Kindle. You can use app on a phone too. And when u go on holiday no books to pack just a device.

Reactions: 9
Join your local library, it's free and there are always great books to read while you wait for the best sellers

Reactions: 5
yes you can get the kindle app and when you download them on Amazon it sends the ebook to your kindle app, also if you have an iPad you could use iBooks, I personally prefer iBooks to kindle there’s always lots on there for 99p and I find it more user friendly to browse iBooks, I usually go between iBooks and kindle looking for the 99p bargains! Haven’t bought a book from a shop in ages now, you can create reading lists on iBooks and kindle and stalk the price on them to see when they have gone right down or are own a special 99p offer

Reactions: 6
I use the Kindle app on the iPad and BorrowBox for library books. I much prefer it to a physical book, you don’t have to hold the pages open, it’s illuminated and lighter. As others have said, there’s plenty of good offers to be had too, if you look around.

The advantage that an actual Kindle has is the paper-white technology (I think) which means you can read it outside in sunlight, and some also can be illuminated.

Reactions: 4
I use the Kindle app on the iPad and BorrowBox for library books. I much prefer it to a physical book, you don’t have to hold the pages open, it’s illuminated and lighter. As others have said, there’s plenty of good offers to be had too, if you look around.

The advantage that an actual Kindle has is the paper-white technology (I think) which means you can read it outside in sunlight, and some also can be illuminated.
Oh yes great point the ability to read in sunlight no glare or in the dark too.

It took me a while to come round to the idea of a kindle, but I’ve had mine years now and love it. I’ve actually just read an actual book and it took me much longer to get through. You realise how inconvenient they are to hold too 😂 I can’t get comfy in bed with a book!

I have a Kindle and like it a lot, I always carry it in my bag so when waiting for the kids in the car or at football club it is just there. But I don't think it makes reading any cheaper. If you're happy to stick to Kindle Unlimited or the 99p ones then sure. But a lot of the books I want to read are not included.

I find World of Books better value for used books.

Reactions: 3
In book thread 1 I was debating whether to buy a kindle or not. In the end I did buy one and I feel like I am reading more on it. I am only reading books that are 99p/£1.99/£2.99 and they are always much cheaper than the paperback equivalent. I have also read a few free books on Prime Reading.
I would recommend a kindle as I find it much easier. I can read at night or early morning when my husband is sleeping. I love that I can change the font/brightness.
I don't know what it is but I find it easier to pick up during a work break than an actual paperback.

The reason I like my kindle is because of the ability to read outside in sunlight, adjustable font, backlight for night reading, it’s light. I have the kindle app on my iPad and phone but the kindle feels much more book like and I’m not tempted to suddenly start surfing the net or scrolling on insta etc the way I do on my phone and iPad.

Looks like i'm getting a kindle then guys! Thanks for your feedback! Does anyone have the Oasis?

Reactions: 1
Looks like i'm getting a kindle then guys! Thanks for your feedback! Does anyone have the Oasis?
I do. I read on the bath and it's water proof lol. It has good light etc but not that much different to the paperwhite I had previously. But I like the buttons on the side to turn pages

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I have a paper white & love it, but my mum has the basic kindle and it’s not bad either in fairness
theyre really good value for money actually, I use it more than I thought I would!

I only like real books, could never read on a kindle.
I only like real books, could never read on a kindle.
oh I’d never read on a device that’s so weird, I need a physical book, you cant beat the smell of a real book.

i mean,
it doesn’t look that bad,
feels a bit weird 🙈 oh not that weird actually....

omg 😳 why did I wait this long 🙈🙈🙈

it’s totally ok to love physical books but see how practical it is to use a kindle, I enjoy walking but when it makes me sense for me to use the car I enjoy using the car 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I do and the adjustable lighting is a benefit to having this one. You can set it to adjust automatically according to the light in the room. It’s also got a bigger memory, screen and it’s waterproof. Which I’m thankful for after a mishap with a glass of water, garden reading and my bunny last summer 🐰😂

However, there are cheaper kindles that still do the trick and no need to spend more money if it’s not required.

I have a kindle paperwhite and love it but have recently joined my local library to save money. Kindle is great for the 99p books but for more expensive ones I’m definitely utilising the library.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, I love this thread 🥰📚 I really found my love of reading throughout lockdown, my goodreads goal was to read 30 books in 2021 but I’ve upped it to 50 now.

• Heart
I have a kindle paperwhite and love it but have recently joined my local library to save money. Kindle is great for the 99p books but for more expensive ones I’m definitely utilising the library.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, I love this thread 🥰📚 I really found my love of reading throughout lockdown, my goodreads goal was to read 30 books in 2021 but I’ve upped it to 50 now.
I am excited about which books on my wishlist might be reduced tomorrow - I got The Silver Collar for 1.99p a few months ago and now it's back up to 9.99 :eek: watch out for 1st of month reductions

I’ve upped mine today too! I was aiming for 24 across the year - I’m already at 15 only 3 months in so I’ve upped to 40!

I am excited about which books on my wishlist might be reduced tomorrow - I got The Silver Collar for 1.99p a few months ago and now it's back up to 9.99 :eek: watch out for 1st of month reductions
Yes!!! And Amazon first reads so I can get a free book. I enjoyed the one from March so fingers crossed they have a good one tomorrow :)

My reading goal in 2020 was 26 but I fell really short and only managed 14. Of course we had the time with lockdown but I was working crazy hours on Covid related projects so I didn't get a proper time off for most of the year.

This year I was aiming for 12 so I could read 1 book a month. I'm already on 18 which makes me think I should up my goal haha

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.