Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I want to curl up in bed and read some more but after finishing my last book so quickly I want to try to take my time and make the £1.99 worthwhile haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I really hope you like it! I am still thinking about what I would do in the main character's position. I was laying in the bath thinking about how much I enjoyed it. This is probably the most I have related to a book in my fave genre. I still wouldn't give it 5/5 though so I will look forward to your thoughts.

I love your book tastes! I have read Vox, the unit, the last, the dreamers and station eleven. I'll check out the ones you have mentioned that I haven't read. Thanks!

For others this list has made me think about:
The power - naomi alderman
Q - Christina Dalcher (Same author as Vox)
The Followers - Megan Angelo

@Katykatykaty thanks for mentioning Skin. It is in my wishlist but wasn't 100% sure but I quite enjoy your reading tastes too. This will give me the push to download especially as it is 99p.
@silkytoes you are so right. I think if I read The Dreamers now I'd be able to visualise it better.
I’ve just added all those (and the ones mentioned by silkytoes to my list - they all sound right up my street. Love that a couple are 99p too. There’s some fascinating concepts in that list and I can’t wait to get started!!

I want to curl up in bed and read some more but after finishing my last book so quickly I want to try to take my time and make the £1.99 worthwhile haha.
I’m the same - I treat myself to The Midnight Library the other day for £4.99 (more than I’ve spent on a kindle book in absolutely ages) and when I finished it in less than 24 hours it felt like such a waste of money despite enjoying it all! At least when a books free you can read it as quick as you like and you’ve not wasted a penny.

Reactions: 3
Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I'm about halfway through and want to keep reading until I'm finished 🤦‍♀️

I'm surprised about the comments about Rebecca snd the characters being unlikeable, I adore the book and love Maxim and the second Mrs DeWinter. If you want a laugh (and have read the book/seen the Hitchcock file) watch on YouTube Mitchell and Webb's Rebecca skits. If you want horrible characters try Wuthering Heights which I slogged through hoping it would get better. I'll take the song over the book.

Has anyone read Sister by Rosamud Lupton, I read it a few years ago and remember loving it at the time.

Perfume is a beautifully written book (although not to everyone's taste). I think The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic (The Testaments is on my TBR pile).

I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Little Women, they are books I reread once in a while and it's like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.

I love a good crime book, anyone read Camilla Lackberg or Jo Nesbo?
I am not sure if I enjoyed The Seven Deaths, I couldn't put it down and read it in one day but I dunno. I kept getting confused and having to get it 'straight' in my head though! Have you read the other one by the same author I think it was called The Devil and the Sea - that one I loved! (And also read in one day)

I finished the new Stephen King last week and have not yet found anything I fancy reading yet, although i have an insane TBR list. I might go for a Poirot.

I’ve just added all those (and the ones mentioned by silkytoes to my list - they all sound right up my street. Love that a couple are 99p too. There’s some fascinating concepts in that list and I can’t wait to get started!!

I’m the same - I treat myself to The Midnight Library the other day for £4.99 (more than I’ve spent on a kindle book in absolutely ages) and when I finished it in less than 24 hours it felt like such a waste of money despite enjoying it all! At least when a books free you can read it as quick as you like and you’ve not wasted a penny.
I didn't like The Midnight Library. I didn't even finish it, got about half way and then skimmed the rest.

Reactions: 2
I am not sure if I enjoyed The Seven Deaths, I couldn't put it down and read it in one day but I dunno. I kept getting confused and having to get it 'straight' in my head though! Have you read the other one by the same author I think it was called The Devil and the Sea - that one I loved! (And also read in one day)

I finished the new Stephen King last week and have not yet found anything I fancy reading yet, although i have an insane TBR list. I might go for a Poirot.

I didn't like The Midnight Library. I didn't even finish it, got about half way and then skimmed the rest.
I always find how we all have different tastes really interesting. It’s why I always take Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt as what one person hates can be the next person’s favourite book ever. I went into The Midnight Library expecting not to like it after everything I’d read on here and knowing it was majorly hyped up on Amazon but I enjoyed it. I don’t think it necessarily deserves the hype or the hate it gets, it was just an averagely good book in my eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I always find how we all have different tastes really interesting. It’s why I always take Amazon reviews with a pinch of salt as what one person hates can be the next person’s favourite book ever. I went into The Midnight Library expecting not to like it after everything I’d read on here and knowing it was majorly hyped up on Amazon but I enjoyed it. I don’t think it necessarily deserves the hype or the hate it gets, it was just an averagely good book in my eyes.
I agree, I hate it when people say something is rubbish, it doesn't necessarily make a book rubbish just because you don't enjoy it, books are subjective, people like what they like, The Midnight Library is a good example, it was well written but I just didn't enjoy it.

Reactions: 3
Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I'm about halfway through and want to keep reading until I'm finished 🤦‍♀️

I'm surprised about the comments about Rebecca snd the characters being unlikeable, I adore the book and love Maxim and the second Mrs DeWinter. If you want a laugh (and have read the book/seen the Hitchcock file) watch on YouTube Mitchell and Webb's Rebecca skits. If you want horrible characters try Wuthering Heights which I slogged through hoping it would get better. I'll take the song over the book.

Has anyone read Sister by Rosamud Lupton, I read it a few years ago and remember loving it at the time.

Perfume is a beautifully written book (although not to everyone's taste). I think The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic (The Testaments is on my TBR pile).

I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Little Women, they are books I reread once in a while and it's like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.

I love a good crime book, anyone read Camilla Lackberg or Jo Nesbo?
It probably says something about my character that my favourite character in Rebecca was Rebecca herself although I also loved Beatrice and Giles and Frank Crawley! Loved Wuthering Heights too but only on a second reading.

Glad you mentioned Perfume - what an incredible book. It’s so unlike anything I’ve ever read.

Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was a favourite last year so I’m going to check out Sister - thanks.

Love Jo Nesbo. Have you read the Dragon Tattoo trilogy?

Actually it's funny you mentioned about feeling like you didn't get your money's worth because you read it fast, I have read a few books recently in one day (seriously don't know how, I have a job and kids) and I was wondering if authors like that people do that, it must be flattering to know that people are so.lost in your world that they can't put it down but at the same time so much work has gone into it and people are just reading it in 6 hours and moving on!

Reactions: 6
It probably says something about my character that my favourite character in Rebecca was Rebecca herself although I also loved Beatrice and Giles and Frank Crawley! Loved Wuthering Heights too but only on a second reading.

Glad you mentioned Perfume - what an incredible book. It’s so unlike anything I’ve ever read.

Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was a favourite last year so I’m going to check out Sister - thanks.

I didn’t click that Sister was by Rosamund Lupton too - I absolutely loved Three Hours so will definitely have to check it out.

Can anyone recommend any good psychological thrillers? I like Shari Lapena, Sue Fortin, Louise Candlish etc. I tend to get stuck in a reading rut every few months!
J P Delaney, the Perfect Wife and The Girl Before are good, not so keen on Playing nice but that might be because I read the other 2 recently. I find I need a break from authors otherwise it gets too samey.

You've encouraged me to buy the one you just read. I have The Choice on my kindle too. Love a dystopia.

Ones I've read and liked:
Vox - Christina Dalcher
The Disappeared - Amy Lord
Sleep Donation - Karen Russell
The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist

And if you're like me and also like anything apocolypse/pandemic-y
The Last - Hannah Jameson
Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel
The Dreamers - Karen Thomas Walker
The Passage Triology by Justin Cronin is good.

I finished two books yesterday. The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, this was a bit too sci-fi for me. Very well written thriller though. Are his other books like this? I liked the style of his writing but did get half of the 'twist' early on.

Also finished 'When we believed in Mermaids' by Barbara O'Neal. I really liked this one, was was 2 separate stories which intertwined and swapped over each chapter. Nice heart warming easy to read book.

Im about to start People Like Her on the Kindle I know Im late to the party with that. I have American Dirt on Audible to start too.

Can anyone recommend any good psychological thrillers? I like Shari Lapena, Sue Fortin, Louise Candlish etc. I tend to get stuck in a reading rut every few months!
Jane Shemilt - Daughter. I still think about this book and I read it quite a few years ago.

Harriet Tyce - Blood Orange, I feel like I go on about this a lot but it was one where I was :eek: at the end.

Love the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books. The Swedish film adaptations are decent too. My aunt has lent me the fourth book by the different author to read. Not started under, not sure how I feel about an author carrying on someone else's story.

I'll checkout Three Hours, I read Rosamund Lupton's second (I think) book Afterwards and didn't enjoy it at all. Its been few years since I read Sister so can't remember why I liked it so much.

I finished two books yesterday. The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney, this was a bit too sci-fi for me. Very well written thriller though. Are his other books like this? I liked the style of his writing but did get half of the 'twist' early on.

Also finished 'When we believed in Mermaids' by Barbara O'Neal. I really liked this one, was was 2 separate stories which intertwined and swapped over each chapter. Nice heart warming easy to read book.

Im about to start People Like Her on the Kindle I know Im late to the party with that. I have American Dirt on Audible to start too.

Jane Shemilt - Daughter. I still think about this book and I read it quite a few years ago.

Harriet Tyce - Blood Orange, I feel like I go on about this a lot but it was one where I was :eek: at the end.
I didn't find that so much with The Perfect Wife but I definitely did with Playing Nice, I think that's the weakest of the 4 books so one to avoid.

I really enjoyed Sometimes I lie by Alice Feeney

Just finished book 3 of the year. Not much but I’m feeling much more inclined to read. I read 100 pages over yesterday and this morning and powered through to finish it. Onto the next one!

I’m going to read Before the Coffee Gets Cold now

I didn't realise that JP Delaney is a pseudonym. Other names are Anthony Capella, Jonathon Holt and Tony Strong

Just finished book 3 of the year. Not much but I’m feeling much more inclined to read. I read 100 pages over yesterday and this morning and powered through to finish it. Onto the next one!

I read tons in the Summer. Sun lounger out yesterday and a new book started.

Before the coffee gets cold is a beautiful book. I might need to reread it as I think I would get something new from it with each read

someone recommended borrowbox. Think you can download library books from there and apparently newspapers. Haven't tried it yet though
BorrowBox is brilliant! I use it loads, and the reader app they use is as good as the Kindle app. The latest popular titles do get booked out though but you can reserve them.

Before the Coffee Gets Cold is such a lovely book.

Currently reading 'Rawblood'. It's a nice gothic horror so far, reminds me quite a bit of 'Wakenhyrst'.

Been reading a chapter or two of 'Middlesex' in between everything else I read. I can never face such a long book in one go but I like breaking them up and this one is very easy to keep track of even with gaps between reading.

BorrowBox is brilliant! I use it loads, and the reader app they use is as good as the Kindle app. The latest popular titles do get booked out though but you can reserve them.
BorrowBox sometimes do campaign titles which allow unlimited simultaneous use. We (I manage libraries) usually buy some each month but they do cost a lot more. Both BorrowBox and Overdrive have great content, no reservation charges, no fines etc and very easy to use. (#AD for libraries ha ha)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.