Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished This child of mine. Really not sure what I thought of it, felt like it jumped the shark with the ending. Didn’t overly like any of the main characters by the end of it either.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone read the last house on needless street? I think it’s new out this month, it looks very intriguing and original but it gets some quite mixed reviews, a load of extremely gushing 5 star reviews saying best thing they’ve ever read then a few 1 star reviews saying it was terrible, I read a sample and really want to carry on reading but don’t want to waste 6 quid if it’s terrible ha ha

I’m currently reading the Bridgerton books after watching the series 😋
An author I love is Tim Weaver. I’ve preordered his next book which is out in a few weeks! Really good crime/psychological thriller stories.
I really enjoy Tim Weaver as a writer too!

thank you!! I just need to stop my obsession of checking my phone every 2 minutes so I can concentrate!!! I have such a short attention span it’s embarrassing😂😂
I am the same! I need to maybe have someone take my phone off me....it’s awful I’m so addicted!

• Haha
I'm still sitting here thinking about yesterday's book. Wow!! The author has said she is hoping to make a sequel so fingers crossed.

I am starting a new one. £1.99 on kindle for The choice - Claire Wade. I'm going to try to pace myself more with this one :)

Does anyone have any dystopian recommendations?

I’ve just finished people like her....wow!

randomly scrolled through my kindle with eyes closed to pick next read and landed on the passengers by John marrs....anyone read?

• Heart
Reactions: 5

randomly scrolled through my kindle with eyes closed to pick next read and landed on the passengers by John marrs....anyone read?
That was the first John Marrs book I read and I liked it. It made me want to read more of him

I've just finished The One after watching the netflix adaption. Book is much better I think, also reading The Rebuilding of Tom Cooper which is really funny so far.

Omg I love our little community!!!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
I'm a sad duck 🤣

people never understand how I can read on my phone, but I do most of my reading on my phone 🙈
it’s so handy, it’s like having a book on you 24/7, it’s the main reason I invested in a larger screen.

I quite like liane moriarty’s books, but her earlier ones are better than her later ones, I think everyone knows big little lies and the husbands secret but I really liked what Alice forgot.

Jane Fallon is an easy read as well I find, again neither are going to win any awards any time soon 😬 but her older books are good!
I loved What Alice Forgot! ❤

Reactions: 2
The Sight Of You by Holly Miller is well, well, well worth a read 😭😭😭
99p on kindle

Reactions: 2

Yes, its brilliant. Really keeps you guessing and makes you think as well. Love his books, The One is one of my favourite books, I don't think the Netflix adaptation did it justice.

Just looked up The Passengers - sounds right up my street. Added to my list! Thanks 😊

Yes, its brilliant. Really keeps you guessing and makes you think as well. Love his books, The One is one of my favourite books, I don't think the Netflix adaptation did it justice.
I’ve read the One (loved it!) Netflix adaptation is crap in comparison! Also enjoyed the minders

Massive yes to The Passengers. Loved, loved, loved it!!

I'm still sitting here thinking about yesterday's book. Wow!! The author has said she is hoping to make a sequel so fingers crossed.

I am starting a new one. £1.99 on kindle for The choice - Claire Wade. I'm going to try to pace myself more with this one :)

Does anyone have any dystopian recommendations?
You've encouraged me to buy the one you just read. I have The Choice on my kindle too. Love a dystopia.

Ones I've read and liked:
Vox - Christina Dalcher
The Disappeared - Amy Lord
Sleep Donation - Karen Russell
The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist

And if you're like me and also like anything apocolypse/pandemic-y
The Last - Hannah Jameson
Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel
The Dreamers - Karen Thomas Walker

You've encouraged me to buy the one you just read. I have The Choice on my kindle too. Love a dystopia.

Vox - Christina Dalcher

Shall definitely have to check those out. I love anything dystopian and end of the world-y in both books and films.

On the same vein, I’m currently reading Skin by Liam Brown and even though it came out pre-Covid, it could easily have been written about this pandemic. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

Shall definitely have to check those out. I love anything dystopian and end of the world-y in both books and films.

On the same vein, I’m currently reading Skin by Liam Brown and even though it came out pre-Covid, it could easily have been written about this pandemic. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.
Oh I think I have that on my kindle too, need to read it!

I felt the same about The Dreamers too - it came out in 2019 but was so spot on pandemic wise. Reading it at the beginning of 2021 meant I might have enjoyed it even more than I would have otherwise, because I was just so impressed haha.

Vox - Christina Dalcher

I really hope you like it! I am still thinking about what I would do in the main character's position. I was laying in the bath thinking about how much I enjoyed it. This is probably the most I have related to a book in my fave genre. I still wouldn't give it 5/5 though so I will look forward to your thoughts.

I love your book tastes! I have read Vox, the unit, the last, the dreamers and station eleven. I'll check out the ones you have mentioned that I haven't read. Thanks!

For others this list has made me think about:
The power - naomi alderman
Q - Christina Dalcher (Same author as Vox)
The Followers - Megan Angelo

@Katykatykaty thanks for mentioning Skin. It is in my wishlist but wasn't 100% sure but I quite enjoy your reading tastes too. This will give me the push to download especially as it is 99p.
@silkytoes you are so right. I think if I read The Dreamers now I'd be able to visualise it better.

Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend any good psychological thrillers? I like Shari Lapena, Sue Fortin, Louise Candlish etc. I tend to get stuck in a reading rut every few months!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.