Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Booklover

VIP Member
Finally finished People Like Her! It was wild wasnt it? Does make you wonder about all the flustered Instamums and how much of it is real.

About to start Daisy Jones & The Six.

After spending a whole year or what felt like it last year scrolling aimlessly I told myself I would do less scrolling and more books. Set myself a Good Reads challenge of 24. 1 audio and 1 actual book per month. Finishing People Like Her was my 14th book this year so I may need to increase my target especially with summer coming and lots of days in the garden.

For anyone considering a kindle, do it!! I got my first kindle, Christmas 2009 was the one with the keyboard along the bottom. The first book I ever bought on it was Jo Nesbo - The Snowman. I then upgraded to the smaller non keyboard one and then to the paperwhite. I find it so easy to pick up and put down. I love that even if I dont finish a chapter it keeps your space. Its so easy to read in bed as its so light. Great in the sunshine.

It also syncs so well with the app so if I ever find myself woth a bit of extra time at school pick up or even on my break at work and I dont have my kindle I can just pick it up on the app.

I will be honest long term on the ipad/phone isnt for me, the kindle is much nicer on the eyes.
I loved Daisy Jones and the Six. Hope you like it.

Geranium

VIP Member
Currently reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I'm about halfway through and want to keep reading until I'm finished 🤦‍♀️

I'm surprised about the comments about Rebecca snd the characters being unlikeable, I adore the book and love Maxim and the second Mrs DeWinter. If you want a laugh (and have read the book/seen the Hitchcock file) watch on YouTube Mitchell and Webb's Rebecca skits. If you want horrible characters try Wuthering Heights which I slogged through hoping it would get better. I'll take the song over the book.

Has anyone read Sister by Rosamud Lupton, I read it a few years ago and remember loving it at the time.

Perfume is a beautifully written book (although not to everyone's taste). I think The Handmaid's Tale is fantastic (The Testaments is on my TBR pile).

I love Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Little Women, they are books I reread once in a while and it's like being wrapped in a cozy blanket.

I love a good crime book, anyone read Camilla Lackberg or Jo Nesbo?
It probably says something about my character that my favourite character in Rebecca was Rebecca herself although I also loved Beatrice and Giles and Frank Crawley! Loved Wuthering Heights too but only on a second reading.

Glad you mentioned Perfume - what an incredible book. It’s so unlike anything I’ve ever read.

Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton was a favourite last year so I’m going to check out Sister - thanks.

Love Jo Nesbo. Have you read the Dragon Tattoo trilogy?

Geranium

VIP Member
I’m listening to The Mistake by Wendy James. It’s a slow burner but I’m really getting into it. I have audio books playing when I’m cooking.

Geranium

VIP Member
I’m 43% through The Aftermath and just waiting for something to happen. Nothing has made me excited or intrigued yet.
I don’t think it’s that kind of book, really. I thought it would be suspenseful but it wasn’t. More an exploration of how something that happened sends ripples through the years that follow.

Regina George

VIP Member
Have you read any from Rachel Abbott? I love her books and read all the Tom Douglas series through kindle unlimited. They have books 1 to 3 in one bundle and 4 to 6 in another so that may just count as 2 loans? Shari Low's books are witty and entertaining.

D. S. Butler, Carol Wyer, Carla Kovach and Diane Chamberlain are other authors I really enjoy.

Finished People Like Her last night and despite having a C. L. Taylor book lined up, and a huge TBR pile, I'm combing Amazon for new reads.
Thank you so much, going to look into all of these!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Just had a look at the Johnny Be Good series and think I might have to give it a read. Sound like my kind of books😂
I loved them, I don’t know why i alw remember them 😭😭 can’t believe it was 10/11 years ago! I hope I haven’t bigged them up in my memory 😆 there are two, then a YA style one

Booklover

VIP Member
It's a book by Lindsey Kelk. First in a series of eight. I like them a lot.

Has anyone read a book by Graham Norton? My step Mum bought me one of her books today and I don't know what to think of it. The Keeper, it's called.
I read Holding, which was really very good.

potatowaffles

So I was thinking about buying a kindle, (I know I only joined this thread about 2 days ago, but it’s lockdown so I’m gonna put my purchases under the self care category 🤪)

I’m trying to google though, I’m thinking maybe I’m better off seeing if they release a new version this year like most of the internet seems to be expecting? It appears that the last one was released in 2019? But I don’t know if that is outdated news or not? Anyone a kindle pro that can advise? 😂

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I move to ban all story lines that involve a vets practice 🤐 yet another overdone storyline.

we should write a book 😂

nbt

VIP Member
I read half of Last one to the party last night. I only stopped reading because it got to 1am and I really needed sleep!

I’m loving it. I think it’s gonna be one of those books that stays with me forever.
I’ve finished it 🥺

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Same! There is a 3rd book out in the autumn to finish the trilogy
What’s your next read?
Oh I didn’t know that! Will definitely pick that up once it is out.
I think I’m going to read Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes next after hearing about it on here.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
return it 🤐 full refund. I think it might be 7 days now, it used to be 14.

that’s why I’d return it 😂 it’s not something I do all the time but if I’ve paid a lot for a book and it’s then been reduced I do under “found a better price elsewhere” (not a lie)
Or just simply “I didn’t like it” 🤷‍♀️
I can’t even find the option to do it! I’ve done it for books I’ve not enjoyed or were just utter rubbish in the past - it feels like a little protest to the author for writing something I didn’t like. But I can’t find the button today. Only bought it on the 27th too. Hmmm... maybe it’s the universe telling me not to.

Warpaint

VIP Member
we did this is school when I was about 12/13 and I loved it, I think it’s a book that I’d excuse for not being woke enough by 2021’s standards, it was almost ahead of its time for tackling topics like race.
a lot has changed since it was written that’s for sure.
I wouldn't really say it's the 'woke' aspect of it that bothers me. All the characters were very one dimensional and almost caricatures. Not a lot happens throughout the book and then when we do get to the trial it just kind of fizzles by. There just doesn't seem enough time devoted to it after all that build up. It starts off well but then just loses its way.[spolier]

silkytoes

I finished Ninth House - Leigh Bardugo the other day and still don’t know how I feel about it. I enjoyed it but can’t help feeling underwhelmed by the ending! If anyone else has read this let me know your thoughts!

Started Such a Fun Age - Kiley Reid this morning and I’m almost done. Really enjoying it so far!
I finished Such A Fun Age yesterday, I loved it! Emira's friendship group were amazing and I loved her relationship with Briar.

I'm reading a book called When We Were Friends now but the writing style doesn't feel great to me. Lots of telling you what people are like instead of letting you find out through interactions etc.

Just finished Last One at the Party and loved it! I finished work early today and I’ve pretty much sat reading the second half since about 3pm.

I loved that it mentioned the coronavirus pandemic but then focused on the next big pandemic, talking about the lessons learned around the world - such an interesting concept to take an actual real life event and then say ‘what happens next?’

I was really quite emotional at various points but the writing style keeps it light and pacy.

However, I need to know more about the ending! I feel like I invested so much in the character and her story and I don’t think it’s finished!! What happened?!??

I’ve just downloaded Followers by Megan Angelo as my next read - 99p on Kindle.
I'm so glad you loved it too!! I felt the same about the ending. The author is hoping to write a sequel so fingers crossed we get to find out more in the next book.