Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
@Oohthedrama im 63% of the way through Johnny Be Good and I’m loooving it. Definitely something I’d have loved to read when I was about 16 and a bit of a fangirl🤣 such an easy book to read but I’m really enjoying it! Will definitely read the rest of the series
so you then need to move onto “baby be mine” afterwards m, that’s much more of a story really 😂 looking back it is verging towards YA, but I remember reading it and really the series as a whole!

I even read the spin off book 😂 which was a YA and not my thing 😂

easy weekend reading 😍

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I have read 2 books where the art work on the front gave the twist away. I won't say which ones, but the first one was a proper twist and it was ruined for me because i was questioning why the picture on the front was what it was! You don't get that with a kindle really because you don't tend to look at the cover.
Ooh I wonder if the book cover is same one I'm thinking of because if so yes that was a big spoiler. I'm trying to think of a subtle clue - house? (Hope that is vague enough).

LellsBells

VIP Member
Thalia Hibbert, Helen Hoang, Jasmine Guillory, Christina Lauren, The Hating Game by Sally someone.. I personally don’t read romance but I watch a lot of booktube and these are the types of names that come up for contemporary romance / smutty reads that people are loving. I’m sure if you Google around those names you’ll find way more I’ve just gone a bit blank. Books like that are super popular with people on booktube at the moment soI hope you find something you like :)
That’s great, thank you 😊
I’ve actually just finished The Hating Game!

I never think to look at Booktube because it seems to be all YA books

lcb94

What questions do you have on Blood Orange? How did you like it?

I read it and wasn’t a fan, tbh.
I just feel like some things were unresolved about Carl. Like the Tuesday men’s meeting, and the suicidal patient he keeps running off to help, and he made it seem like he had something to do with Patrick’s death because he made a comment that alluded to being involved, and if Caroline’s police report was egged on by Carl then how do we explain Alicia’s? It felt like a completely different book in the last 30 pages!

Death2unicorns

Chatty Member
Has anyone read the last house on needless street? I think it’s new out this month, it looks very intriguing and original but it gets some quite mixed reviews, a load of extremely gushing 5 star reviews saying best thing they’ve ever read then a few 1 star reviews saying it was terrible, I read a sample and really want to carry on reading but don’t want to waste 6 quid if it’s terrible ha ha

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Could it be The Magician's Nephew? It's part of the same series as The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe so still has the lion and the witch but it has 2 children and a magic woods.
Thank you but it’s not that one. I had the full set of Narnia books in a box set and this was a single book on its own - I really wish I could remember more about it. One day I’m going to find it and realise it was no where near as good my heads made it out to be the longer the search has gone on.

I’m really racking my brains and the lion may have been a wolf or a fox. There was some of witch/hag character in it and there was a race against time to get help for the boy (or the lion/wolf/fox) to get help for the thorn in his foot as it was making him ill. I’m sure the cover was either black & white or quite muted colours and showed the boy and girl through the hedge/trees. It’s driving me mad thinking of it!

Last edited:

slugella

VIP Member
I prefer reading books to kindle but it is a pain the price difference! I get a lot of my books 2nd hand, Oxfam seem to always have a good selection in.

My kindle when I do use it is so ancient, 2nd hand from my mum, it's the one where the screen isn't a light up one if that makes sense? Which I like as it's easier to wind down at night with and less intense on my eyes. I think I'll start getting kindle books from the library as I don't like to shop at amazon.

Honestly I loved it! I’m a big King fan anyway but it was really good 😁
Ditto, I loved it too but it's rare that I don't. I always enjoy Stephen King books when the protagonist is a teenager, you know it's going to have a nice ending!

Has anyone read anything recently with a decent twist that actually SHOCKED them (and not in a so-shockingly-bad way)

I've been reading a lot of thrillers/page turners recently, which maybe is the problem as I'm getting good at spotting twists, but I'm just finding that nothing is landing for me and I end up bored. I read 'One by One' as a murder mystery and guessed whodunit by about page 8. I read 'Playing Nice' and was waiting for a shocking twist and nothing surprising or interesting happened, same with 'The Widow'. 'Blood Orange' was twisty but again, I found it a bit predictable. The last book I remember being truly surprised by was 'The Silent Patient'.
I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie the other day which had a good twist and did shock me (not in an "OMG WHAT" but in a "oh I didn't see that" way)

I recently read Little One by Sarah A. Denzil but tbh whilst I didn't figure the actual twist I was half way there from pretty early on. I can't remember any others i've read recently.

If I know a book has a twist I am always looking for it so then you start coming up with every eventuality and often get it yourself. The best are the ones where you had no idea it was even coming, or ones when you think it's done and then the last paragraph is the true twist!

Last edited:

Custard cream

I’ve just finished The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse. I wasn’t going to read it because it had gotten a lot of bad reviews but I’m so glad I did because I really enjoyed it! I’m going to read Harlan Coben’s new book “Win” next. Loving this thread 😊

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
Yes, its brilliant. Really keeps you guessing and makes you think as well. Love his books, The One is one of my favourite books, I don't think the Netflix adaptation did it justice.
I’ve read the One (loved it!) Netflix adaptation is crap in comparison! Also enjoyed the minders

HoGi

VIP Member
Has anyone read anything recently with a decent twist that actually SHOCKED them (and not in a so-shockingly-bad way)

I've been reading a lot of thrillers/page turners recently, which maybe is the problem as I'm getting good at spotting twists, but I'm just finding that nothing is landing for me and I end up bored. I read 'One by One' as a murder mystery and guessed whodunit by about page 8. I read 'Playing Nice' and was waiting for a shocking twist and nothing surprising or interesting happened, same with 'The Widow'. 'Blood Orange' was twisty but again, I found it a bit predictable. The last book I remember being truly surprised by was 'The Silent Patient'.
Oh no don't say that about playing nice, I'm about 3/4s of the way through and waiting for a twist haha

blondelolita

Chatty Member
You can have family sharing I think, if you manage your content and devices, me and my mum share books that way