Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Regina George

VIP Member
I’m currently reading What You Did by Claire McGowan and enjoying it so far, I’m about half way through. It’s on kindle unlimited too!

tw rape

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Can't stand the Tattooist of Auschwitz. Absolutely littered with historical errors and I couldn't continue reading it because of it. The book has also been heavily criticised by the Auschwitz Memorial: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...tacked-as-inauthentic-by-camp-memorial-centre

The author should be ashamed of herself too as I believe she's taken a great deal of historical license of the actual story and relationship between the two lead characters.

nbt

VIP Member
Looks like i'm getting a kindle then guys! Thanks for your feedback! Does anyone have the Oasis?
I do and the adjustable lighting is a benefit to having this one. You can set it to adjust automatically according to the light in the room. It’s also got a bigger memory, screen and it’s waterproof. Which I’m thankful for after a mishap with a glass of water, garden reading and my bunny last summer 🐰😂

However, there are cheaper kindles that still do the trick and no need to spend more money if it’s not required.

I loved An Amercian Marriage but didn't get the hype about American Dirt, it happens.

Playing Nice has been my least favourite JP Delaney but that might be because I read 3 of their other books quite recently. I thought The Perfect Wife was the best one.
Really? I didn't care much for "The perfect wife", I found it predictable, boring and a bit weird.

Geranium

VIP Member
An old favourite book of mine is Ballerina by Edward Stewart. I am a huge ballet fan and found it so gripping.

I’ve never read anything set around the ballet, I was excited to read it (I tried to wait for it to be reduced 🙈😂 but failed)
it was better that I hoped! ☺
Added it to my list as well 😊

jarv

VIP Member
I'm still reading the flight attendant 😩 it's not bad or anything but it just really hasn't gripped me and I don't want to abandon it so will try to plough through. It's been a week and I'm still only half way. This Verity book sounds intriguing though so might download that to give me some motivation to finish this one!

Libertine1975

VIP Member
Does anyone use a book subscription service? I keep getting ads for a box of stories and it looks quite good (about 15 per box for four books).

Geranium

VIP Member
Wierdly I think I read that blackberrying book (far too late to be of any use to you now 😂) - it rings such a bell - Alison Uttley?
I once spent so long trying to track a much loved childhood book and the joy of finding it in the end was immense - it was The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart. Thoroughly recommend for children. The forerunner of both Harry Potter and The Worst Witch stories. Children's books years ago seemed a bit weirder, if that makes sense, like the Alan Garner books. Very strange.
If only I’d had this thread then! You may well be right.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I have been trying to find the name of a book for years that I read as a youngster (probably 9ish so around 1984). And absolutely cannot find it but the information i have is so vague.

It was about a little girl from i think the carribean but could be wrong and was about her family life. It had the most lovely illustrations (though I could be imagining them 😂).

I have sent emails and made calls to try and find the name of this book but had zero luck. Anyone have any idea on how I could find it?

I had similar with another book I read when younger but managed to find that one and it wasnt as good as I remember lol (hear the children calling).

Any advice in tracking books with limited information would be great.
Ooh I’ve no idea I’m afraid but you’ve reminded me to ask about a book I’ve spent the last 15 or so years trying to track down!

I remember reading a book as a child (I’d say probably from 1990 onwards) and it was possibly about a brother and sister who found themselves at the edge of some kind of wood/hedge. They decided to go through into it and the boy got a thorn in his foot (I think) and as they went into the wood there was an evil witch type person, possibly a lion (he may have been the one with the thorn in his foot). I’ve no idea on character names, places,title, author etc and what I remember is totally vague but it’s killed me for years not knowing what it is. I’ve asked in so many places over the years and the only suggestion that ever comes back is The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe but it’s definitely not that one.
Anyone have any ideas?

PreciousVenus

Has anyone read anything recently with a decent twist that actually SHOCKED them (and not in a so-shockingly-bad way)

I've been reading a lot of thrillers/page turners recently, which maybe is the problem as I'm getting good at spotting twists, but I'm just finding that nothing is landing for me and I end up bored. I read 'One by One' as a murder mystery and guessed whodunit by about page 8. I read 'Playing Nice' and was waiting for a shocking twist and nothing surprising or interesting happened, same with 'The Widow'. 'Blood Orange' was twisty but again, I found it a bit predictable. The last book I remember being truly surprised by was 'The Silent Patient'.

Gembo

VIP Member
I wish there was a way to share books on kindle 😂 I know it’ll never happen bcos they’d make absolutely no profit but it’s so annoying when my mum and I both want to read the same book and end up both buying it😂 if it was a hard copy we’d just share it! I LOVE my kindle but usually get a few “proper” books for birthdays/Christmas which I always look forward to
You can! Me and my husband share books. I think we are able to do it as we share Prime but I think there are other ways too, I just googled this...
49F28710-EAC0-4B4D-AB0E-34A507B0C959.jpeg

peachhes

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend any good psychological thrillers? I like Shari Lapena, Sue Fortin, Louise Candlish etc. I tend to get stuck in a reading rut every few months!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
That's me off to the kindle store again 🙈 I really enjoyed CRA so will definitely read the other two!!
I WAS SO INVESTED IN THIS SERIES 😂 I’m tempted to read it again!

two I have on my possible list for today 🙈 don’t judge....
The promise by Lucy Diamond or just between friends by Rosie Nixion
41F17B82-DF37-4A22-A2EB-577E1076D70B.jpeg
87BC8055-DD68-4B55-B31E-BA63159F7B11.jpeg

Last edited:

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
My MIL gave me a pile of books to borrow (I’ve already got a huge bookcase full of unread books of my own 😬) so I picked a new one out last night.
The Snakes by Sadie Jones. Blurb sounds good but reviews on Amazon are a bit hit and miss. Has anyone read it?
I’ve read it....it started off well but then just got worse and worse 🙈

silkytoes

A series of unfortunate events was my lifeeeeee growing up. I absolutely adored that book series. Also hated the film! The series was ok but still not anywhere near the books. I’d have loved some episodes on the later books rather than the most popular ones.
Did you watch all 3 series? They did 2 episodes per book for all 13 books except the very last which was just one ☺