Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

howaboutnot

Just finished "Death Comes to Pemberley". It was surprisingly good, but I got frustrated that there was so much copy and pasting of dialogue/ descriptions from Pride and Prejudice.

Cady1954

VIP Member
I dont live in the UK and since Brexit I cant seem to have access to kindle books so I have to use the US site which i think is slightly more expensive:mad:

I’ve just read TM Logan’s The Catch. It seemed like kind of a ridiculous premise, this whole thriller built around someone’s hunch, but turned out to be fairly absorbing if a bit silly. I do love a trashy thriller!
Other end of the scale, also just finished Jean Rhys’ Good Morning Midnight for uni and absolutely loved it once I got into the style of writing. Really incredible. Interesting to see what people have said about Matt Haig - never read any of his stuff and wondered if it was overhyped.
I have read both of his previous books and I really enjoyed them. I struggled to get into The Catch but will keep on at it. By the way are you a Kath and Kim fan by any chance? Just watched the whole series hilarious!

What are your opinions on Lionel Shriver? I have read four of her books and loved them. 'We need to talk about Kevin' was her best in my opinion.

Last edited:

Marylou

VIP Member
Starting The Whispers by Heidi Perks this weekend (well prob tomorrow 😆)
looks like it might be good.
I really liked Now You See Her and I've got 3 Perfect Liars on my TBR pile. Not really felt like read this week. I'm going to try The Strangers by C L Taylor again and see if it improves.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Just finished Get a Life, Chloe Brown. I enjoyed it. A very easy read with not much going on but I like that from time to time. I’ll read the other 2 books in the series if I feel like I fancy an easy read.

Next it “to all the lonely people” by Mike Gayle. Downloaded it so long ago I have no idea what it’s about 😂

I reckon if we weren’t in the midst of a global pandemic, I would have scored it lower than I did (I think I felt generous and said 4.5, but it could easily have been anywhere from 3.5 upwards on reflection). I think it just hit at a level that without this last years experience, I would have had difficulty processing and understanding.

Did anyone else find the VR party scene just totally out of place and weird?!
I had a feeling it would turn that way though. I think it is because I watched upload on Amazon Prime and they had these VR suits where you could feel evvvverrrrything 😂 I don't think it added anything beneficial to the storyline

Idontcare34

I've just finished The One after watching the netflix adaption. Book is much better I think, also reading The Rebuilding of Tom Cooper which is really funny so far.

Kitt

VIP Member
I have been wanting to read Agatha Christie for a while. I started murder on the orient express but couldn't get into it. So I have paused it for now and started on my free Amazon book for the month. I decided to try The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent. First couple of chapters seem good but I haven't been in the right mood to read today. I'm sure I will pick it back up in next few days.
I'm going back to swimming 4+ times a week (hopefully) on Monday so I am worried I won't be reading as much.
I’ve heard Agatha Christie’s best work that still stands up today is And Then There Were None. Heard so many people say the others are just pretty boring but that ones still a good read.

What's your point

VIP Member
I remember a book I read ages ago - And still she wept by T.C Barnes. Really enjoyed it but it has been ages since I read it! Might go back and see if it is still as good as I remember (its probably not 😂).

Oooooh, I love a book thread.

I've just finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah which was good but so bleak. I'm currently reading It's Always the Husband by Michele Campbell which is old but I saw it recommended somewhere and liked the title. It's OK so far.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I bought people like her the other day. Still going through 'when we believed in mermaids' on the kindle.

Started County Lines on Audible. Its very interesting and also :eek: as a parent.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I love fiction but to read. I zone out more with fiction books or maybe I can miss some bits with non fiction and it be ok 😆 I have American Dirt to listen to aswell.

I think fiction do draw me in more probably so I then struggle to listen and do whatever Im doing and I tend to only listen to Audible when Im doing something else. If Ive got time to sit Id read rather than listen. If that makes sense.
have you read this one,

Discover the shocking truth behind the life and business of Sir Phillip Green
Sir Philip Green is no stranger to scandal. He was once hailed one of Britain's best businessmen and had prime ministers and supermodels on speed dial. But his reputation came crashing down when Oliver Shah uncovered the truth behind his doomed BHS deal. The collapse of British Home Stores left 11,000 employees without jobs and put 20,000 people's pensions at risk. Green eventually paid 363m towards the company's 571m pension deficit. In October 2018, Green was named as the business figure at the heart of Britain's #MeToo scandal. With accusations of harassment flooding the press, and with Topshop's pension deficit rising to almost double the figure that toppled BHS, can the retail tycoon survive yet another scandal? In Damaged Goods, Oliver Shah, the award-winning journalist who first broke the BHS story, shines a light on Green's past and his uncertain future; this is the extraordinary account of the retail magnate Sir Philip Green's fall from grace.

howaboutnot

I have been trying to find the name of a book for years that I read as a youngster (probably 9ish so around 1984). And absolutely cannot find it but the information i have is so vague.

It was about a little girl from i think the carribean but could be wrong and was about her family life. It had the most lovely illustrations (though I could be imagining them 😂).

I have sent emails and made calls to try and find the name of this book but had zero luck. Anyone have any idea on how I could find it?

I had similar with another book I read when younger but managed to find that one and it wasnt as good as I remember lol (hear the children calling).

Any advice in tracking books with limited information would be great.
Can you remember any of the characters' names, or locations in the book? Sometimes you can chain those search terms and find the book.

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Apologies if this was covered in thread #1, is anyone a fan of the Department Q books? If so, have you read the recent one, Victim 2117, and what’s your opinion?