Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly I loved it! I’m a big King fan anyway but it was really good 😁
Ditto, I loved it too but it's rare that I don't. I always enjoy Stephen King books when the protagonist is a teenager, you know it's going to have a nice ending!

Has anyone read anything recently with a decent twist that actually SHOCKED them (and not in a so-shockingly-bad way)

I've been reading a lot of thrillers/page turners recently, which maybe is the problem as I'm getting good at spotting twists, but I'm just finding that nothing is landing for me and I end up bored. I read 'One by One' as a murder mystery and guessed whodunit by about page 8. I read 'Playing Nice' and was waiting for a shocking twist and nothing surprising or interesting happened, same with 'The Widow'. 'Blood Orange' was twisty but again, I found it a bit predictable. The last book I remember being truly surprised by was 'The Silent Patient'.
I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie the other day which had a good twist and did shock me (not in an "OMG WHAT" but in a "oh I didn't see that" way)

I recently read Little One by Sarah A. Denzil but tbh whilst I didn't figure the actual twist I was half way there from pretty early on. I can't remember any others i've read recently.

If I know a book has a twist I am always looking for it so then you start coming up with every eventuality and often get it yourself. The best are the ones where you had no idea it was even coming, or ones when you think it's done and then the last paragraph is the true twist!

Last edited:
Has anyone read anything recently with a decent twist that actually SHOCKED them (and not in a so-shockingly-bad way)

I've been reading a lot of thrillers/page turners recently, which maybe is the problem as I'm getting good at spotting twists, but I'm just finding that nothing is landing for me and I end up bored. I read 'One by One' as a murder mystery and guessed whodunit by about page 8. I read 'Playing Nice' and was waiting for a shocking twist and nothing surprising or interesting happened, same with 'The Widow'. 'Blood Orange' was twisty but again, I found it a bit predictable. The last book I remember being truly surprised by was 'The Silent Patient'.

Verity by Colleen Hoover blew me away. The Chalet by Catherine Cooper is also really good with a nice twist at the end.

Reactions: 1
I just finished Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones. I read An American Marriage last year and hadn't really understood the hype and I couldn't get passed my dislike of the characters.

I didn't find that with Silver Sparrow at all, I absolutely loved it.
I loved An Amercian Marriage but didn't get the hype about American Dirt, it happens.

Playing Nice has been my least favourite JP Delaney but that might be because I read 3 of their other books quite recently. I thought The Perfect Wife was the best one.

I almost never spot a twist, I’m too gullible!
I’m the same! I never seem to think too far ahead to even guess there’s something coming. I do the same with tv shows and films - I hate when my husband will make suggestions about what might happen and I won’t have even considered it at that point, totally ruins it!

I loved An Amercian Marriage but didn't get the hype about American Dirt, it happens.

Playing Nice has been my least favourite JP Delaney but that might be because I read 3 of their other books quite recently. I thought The Perfect Wife was the best one.
Really? I didn't care much for "The perfect wife", I found it predictable, boring and a bit weird.

Not recent I know but the last book I read where I thought wtaf and was shocked was One Day. Won't give it away just on the remote off chance people don't know.
I suppose the good thing about a kindle or device is you can't easily find out the ending (can you? I've never had one).
I find sometimes the blurb or even the reviews on actual books can be slight plot spoilers. This is a made up example but I've seen similar - "Caitlin Moran said 'Wow I did no see that ending coming!!! - talk about heartbreakingly bittersweet!!!'".

Reactions: 6
I'm still on the flight attendant 😂 it's been over 2 weeks now it's not even a difficult book I just cba 😂 not sure I'd recommend it but I may have been spoiled from watching the series first. I'm hoping to finish it either today or tomorrow and then make a start on last one at the party, which hopefully I will speed through much more quickly!

Not recent I know but the last book I read where I thought wtaf and was shocked was One Day. Won't give it away just on the remote off chance people don't know.
I suppose the good thing about a kindle or device is you can't easily find out the ending (can you? I've never had one).
I find sometimes the blurb or even the reviews on actual books can be slight plot spoilers. This is a made up example but I've seen similar - "Caitlin Moran said 'Wow I did no see that ending coming!!! - talk about heartbreakingly bittersweet!!!'".
No, it's not as easy to skip to the end but you can go to the last page if you are the sort of person that reads the last page first (i'm looking at you my kids).

I have read 2 books where the art work on the front gave the twist away. I won't say which ones, but the first one was a proper twist and it was ruined for me because i was questioning why the picture on the front was what it was! You don't get that with a kindle really because you don't tend to look at the cover.

Reactions: 4
I’ve been reading The Holdout by Graham Moore....I’m about 3/4 of the way through and it’s only just getting going!

I’ve just finished Verity by Colleen Hoover which I really enjoyed

reading The House Guest by Mark Edwards now!

I’ve been a reading roll the last few days...
I survived by Victoria Cillliers - the true story of a woman whose husband tried to killer by messing with her parachute. An interesting and shocking read.
One by one and Brain Damage by Freida McFadden. Enjoyed both of these especially Brain Damage. Currently reading another by her called Want to know a secret? and liking it.

I have read 2 books where the art work on the front gave the twist away. I won't say which ones, but the first one was a proper twist and it was ruined for me because i was questioning why the picture on the front was what it was! You don't get that with a kindle really because you don't tend to look at the cover.
Ooh I wonder if the book cover is same one I'm thinking of because if so yes that was a big spoiler. I'm trying to think of a subtle clue - house? (Hope that is vague enough).

Ah OK this one isn't about sisters. Must a few spoiler covers around!
I think people think they're being clever, but after that massive one I look out for it!

I've just realised I can do a spoiler.....

It was the Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

The Wife Between Us really shocked me at the end. Can’t say more than that without spoiling it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.