Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finally finished Followers by Megan Angelo today! It felt it took me ages but it was actually only ten days, but for me that’s so much longer than I normally spend on a book.

I’d give it somewhere between 3 and 4 out of 5 depending on what I focus on. It took absolutely ages for me to be gripped in by it and then it would lose me again once it did. I thought there was so much waffle and pointless plot points - you could easily lose 100 pages and make it an exciting page turner. I enjoyed the premise but never really warmed to the characters (though I feel that may be intentional). I loved certain aspects of it but the waffle has made me forget them already!

Now to work out what to read next ...

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I loved Danielle Steel years ago 😂 but gosh her writing lately is awful, has been for years now, I half wondered if someone else was writing for her and putting her name to them, it’s like reading a school girl‘s essay with a word target to hit.
She’s still writing according to her blog, she churns out about 4 books a year I think, but I agree the quality of her work is awful now.

Reactions: 2
I loved Danielle Steel years ago 😂 but gosh her writing lately is awful, has been for years now, I half wondered if someone else was writing for her and putting her name to them, it’s like reading a school girl‘s essay with a word target to hit.
I think thats more maturity, we grow out of authors. I never got the hype over Jilly Cooper, finally read one of her books and nope, never again, thats 3 hours of my life lost to dross.

Reactions: 3
About 20+ years ago I was the same as you with Danielle Steel books. As soon as one came out in paperback I’d buy it.
Then she released The Klone and I.
It was the worst book I‘d ever read and I‘ve not read any of her books since.
As I matured, I’d have probably moved on from her eventually anyway but the absolute dross of that book killed my enjoyment of her books entirely.
I remember when The Klone and I came out. There was always a massive waiting list in the library for the new Danielle Steel but her loyal readers were so disappointed - we had so many complaints (not our fault the public hated it!), we even had people wanting their 50p reservation fee refunded🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
For my next book I’ve gone for Logging Off by Nick Spalding. It’s on Prime Reading - I thought after a run of paid for books I’d go back to a free one.
I love Nick Spalding's books

Easy reading and normally get a few out loud chuckles out of them

I love Nick Spalding's books

Easy reading and normally get a few out loud chuckles out of them
Ooh maybe a good pick then. I’ve not read any yet but I did like the look of Dumped, Actually a while back. I’m waiting for my husband to take my son up for a bath and then I can get started!

Ooh maybe a good pick then. I’ve not read any yet but I did like the look of Dumped, Actually a while back. I’m waiting for my husband to take my son up for a bath and then I can get started!
I think I have read them all as they are on prime reading.

Make a change to what I normally read

Reactions: 1
I've finished Broadcast by Liam Brown. Meh. No strong feelings for it in all honesty. I'm glad I got it from the library.

I have 2 more library books to read due back by 1st May so will try to read at least one more of them to make the most of it.

She’s still writing according to her blog, she churns out about 4 books a year I think, but I agree the quality of her work is awful now.
I am convinced there is now an intern that is writing on her behalf 🤣
the style is so
sarah walked into the restaurant, sarah liked the restaurant, the restaurant looked nice, she sat down and pulled her mobile phone out of her bag, she put her bag on the chair, sarah looked around the restaurant, it really was a nice restaurant....“

i want to scream “you’ve hit your word target we get it” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I am convinced there is now an intern that is writing on her behalf 🤣
the style is so
sarah walked into the restaurant, sarah liked the restaurant, the restaurant looked nice, she sat down and pulled her mobile phone out of her bag, she put her bag on the chair, sarah looked around the restaurant, it really was a nice restaurant....“

i want to scream “you’ve hit your word target we get it” 😂
I used to read her as a teen and I was agog at the couples in her books having sex four or five times a night, basically never sleeping!

• Haha
Sunday discussion,

what storyline has been done to death?

for me
- inherits a crumbling mansion/town house/cottage/farm/hotel in the countryside that comes complete with a handsome angry neighbour and dog.

- woman runs away from recent heartbreak and falls in love with the vicar.

Im half way through The Arrangement. Oddly gripped by it. I like shorter books / short chapters.

I found it a struggle to get through My Dark Vanessa because the chapters were so damn long.

New to this thread and sorry if it’s already been mentioned, but I am about to start The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.

New to this thread and sorry if it’s already been mentioned, but I am about to start The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.
You’ll have to let us know how you get one. There’s lots of mixed feelings around here about it - some people love it, some people hate it, so we need to know where you fall.
Hope you enjoy it!

Sunday discussion,

for me
- inherits a crumbling mansion/town house/cottage/farm/hotel in the countryside that comes complete with a handsome angry neighbour and dog.

Ooh interesting discussion idea. I feel like I’ve got loads of ideas but can’t formulate them into a proper answer!
I really enjoy a good murder mystery/crime novel but they’re all the same really when you break them down. I think it’s hard to truly find a story that hasn’t been done before.

• Heart
Sunday discussion,

for me

Very interesting discussion point!

For me it is:

- The ex-wife /partner of the husband (to-be) is meant to be an evil witch but in fact it is the husband that is evil

- A letter / box with jewellery, letters etc are being discovered in an inherited / bought house and lead to a secret from the past

Reactions: 5
A letter / box with jewellery, letters etc are being discovered in an inherited / bought house and lead to a secret from the past
OMG YES 😂😂😂

dying wife leaves letter for husband which are instructions for how to move on and eventually fall in love with her/his best friend. 😐

see also dead husband has secret life wife finds out about at his funeral.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Welcome. This is such a nice group to be part of. We have differing opinions on books we read, and it's good to share. We don't block or delete unlike some of the Influenzas!
I've read The Midnight Library. Let us know what you think.

Welcome. This is such a nice group to be part of. We have differing opinions on books we read, and it's good to share. We don't block or delete unlike some of the Influenzas!
I've read The Midnight Library. Let us know what you think.
Thank you for the welcome. Will do. After that I have The Authenticity Project lined up. I usually read non-fiction texts so feels good to have some fiction to lose myself in again.

I have a soft spot for a "cuckoo in the nest" scenario. But I really hate frustrating books where the protagonist tells a stupid lie and the resultant mix up is the whole story. I also hate it when they author tries to make us fall in love with a sweet female character who is such a doormat wimp I want to shake her.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.