Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought Normal People was so bad. A poor version of One Day.
I hated the character of Marianne so much. A pretentious annoying pain up the arse. And I got so irritated with the predictable shite of gawky nerdy girl become so hot and desirable to everyone. Obviously that can and does happen but it was so bleeping obvious. Also I hated the message that the smaller and thinner she got through misery the more waifishly beautiful she became. (Marianne Keyes also does this all the time with her female protagonists).
I actually far preferred the TV programme.
Maybe I should try giving the tv show a go and see how I compare them. Not that I remember anything about the book so it’s probably feel like something totally new.

Reactions: 4
Maybe I should try giving the tv show a go and see how I compare them. Not that I remember anything about the book so it’s probably feel like something totally new.
I thought the book was dreadful. So much hype and yet again, totally overrated.
However, I loved the TV adaptation, so I'd say give it a try.

Reactions: 5
I have such a weakness now for the Asda 2 for £8 deal so I have to stop by each time I’m in 😂

Today’s purchases were ‘normal people’ & ‘Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine’ - I’m so basic I know 🤪

Currently halfway through the ‘midnight library’ and I don’t really know what I think of it so far to be honest. Hope as I get further through it I’m more gripped though.
I'd say they're both pretty good books to buy from that deal!

Reactions: 1
Normal people is such a strange book. It isn't that well written and I got bloody sick and tired of Marianne being every negative female trope going rolled into one. Just wanted to give her a slap. I bloody loved Connell though, I had a similar experience at uni where I had quite bad anxiety, so his story really did get to me and made me cry 😂 I've not watched the series yet as I just don't have the emotional capacity atm lol things always hit harder when you see and hear them!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Normal people is such a strange book. It isn't that well written and I got bloody sick and tired of Marianne being every negative female trope going rolled into one. Just wanted to give her a slap. I bloody loved Connell though, I had a similar experience at uni where I had quite bad anxiety, so his story really did get to me and made me cry 😂 I've not watched the series yet as I just don't have the emotional capacity atm lol things always hit harder when you see and hear them!
You should watch it just for Connell🤩🤩🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤 but defo wait until you have emotional capacity hahaha. It is so much better than the book. I’ve rewatched it a few times now!!

• Heart
You should watch it just for Connell🤩🤩🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤 but defo wait until you have emotional capacity hahaha. It is so much better than the book. I’ve rewatched it a few times now!!
He's proper fit isn't he!! I need to be emotionally ready and also watch it alone or my boyfriend is gonna be like u ok m8 🤔when I'm drooling over Connell!

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I'm glad that it's not just me that felt this way about Normal People. I haven't seen the show but my friend said the show is better. I really had to force myself to finish the book.

Has anyone read Conversations with Friends? I bought that too because of the hype but can't bring myself to read it after Normal People.

I read Conversations with Friends and that was also poor. I really don't get the hype around Sally Rooney's writing. I definitely won't be reading her next book.

I absolutely loved Normal People 🙈 and unusually found the series even better! Mainly due to Paul Mescal 😍
I’ve attempted Conversations with Friends a few times and I can’t get past the first couple of chapters. I feel like I’m missing something because there was so much hype around it! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Has anyone read this? I just bought and excited to start it!
No but I've previously read one of her other books. Apparently Prince Phillip appears as a character which is incredibly convenient!

On a serious note, I see her books being raved about in historical fiction groups I'm in. If I didn't have a huuuugggeee TBR pile then I'd be considering this as well.

I really liked normal people! The book and the show. I also read conversions with friends which I wasn’t so keen on. They are quite ‘normal’ stories if that makes sense (there’s probably an actual term for this...) - nothing really dramatic happens

I read Conversations with Friends and that was also poor. I really don't get the hype around Sally Rooney's writing. I definitely won't be reading her next book.
that’s a book I nearly gave up on numerous times, I’m just avoiding her as an author from now on I think.

I just love how passionate you guys are about your love/hate of normal people ahahah and the discussions my post triggered!. I’ll put it on my to read next so I can join in next time 😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
No but I've previously read one of her other books. Apparently Prince Phillip appears as a character which is incredibly convenient!

On a serious note, I see her books being raved about in historical fiction groups I'm in. If I didn't have a huuuugggeee TBR pile then I'd be considering this as well.
I've read the Alice Network by her which I enjoyed but didn't realise it was the same author til you mentioned her other books and I had a nosey.

I will let you know how I get on with this one :)

Reactions: 1
I just love how passionate you guys are about your love/hate of normal people ahahah and the discussions my post triggered!. I’ll put it on my to read next so I can join in next time 😉
love that about this thread, we don’t agree on everything but there’s never going to be any drama about being “right” or “wrong” 😌

• Heart
Reactions: 10
love that about this thread, we don’t agree on everything but there’s never going to be any drama about being “right” or “wrong” 😌
Exactly! This is one of my fave threads on here. No blocking or deleting here if we have different opinions eh! :ROFLMAO: 😘

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.