Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve not read the book but I couldn’t get very far with the tv series. I feel like the only one who didn’t love it ☹
I recorded the series as I’d heard all the hype for the show and book. Decided to read the book first so started it...promptly ditched and immediately deleted the recordings of the show. I just do not understand what was to like about it. I genuinely remember none of what I read, not even a snippet of anything - no idea how it became so popular. I think I must have missed something ...

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
I have such a weakness now for the Asda 2 for £8 deal so I have to stop by each time I’m in 😂

Today’s purchases were ‘normal people’ & ‘Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine’ - I’m so basic I know 🤪

Currently halfway through the ‘midnight library’ and I don’t really know what I think of it so far to be honest. Hope as I get further through it I’m more gripped though.
Eleanor Oliphant was my top read of 2020. Absolutely love it.
Normal people was disappointing compared to the series which I love.

Reactions: 7
I finished If I can’t Have You last night and balled my eyes out 😭 I’m a sensitive soul 😬 it was gone 11 but I had to put the tv back on I couldn’t get back to sleep...books need trigger warnings for people like me! I‘m going to start People Like Her now...it’s not going to make me cry is it?!
Don’t worry, it’s not a tear jerker. More of an eye opener!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Slightly off topic but I didn’t realise Nicole Moriarty and Liane Moriarty were sisters!!

both excellent authors!

Reactions: 1
I have listened to all the Audiobooks mentioned recently 😆 love Audible.

Another one I loved was American Kingpin by Nick Bilton. Its about the Silk Road. So interesting.

Im listening to the memoir of a Strangeways prison officer atm. Its ok, not sure Id recommend.

I have listened to all the Audiobooks mentioned recently 😆 love Audible.

Another one I loved was American Kingpin by Nick Bilton. Its about the Silk Road. So interesting.

Im listening to the memoir of a Strangeways prison officer atm. Its ok, not sure Id recommend.
What other genres of books do you like?

What other genres of books do you like?
I tend to prefer non fiction on audio book so memoirs are good, biographies / auto biographies, true crime. That type of things. Ive also enjoyed books like Invisible Women which was really informative and eye opening. Would really recommend that one. Unnatural Causes was good too but the author annoyed me slightly. This is going to hurt, I loved, so funny.

Ive got one about Des Nielson to listen to I got on the £3 sale. Also listened to one recently County Lines about drug dealing in the UK. The same guy also did that also has one about Brexit I fancy. Im planning on using my credit this month for 'The Five by Hallie Rubenhold, its an indepth look at Jack The Ripper victims.

I tend to prefer non fiction on audio book so memoirs are good, biographies / auto biographies, true crime. That type of things. Ive also enjoyed books like Invisible Women which was really informative and eye opening. Would really recommend that one. Unnatural Causes was good too but the author annoyed me slightly. This is going to hurt, I loved, so funny.

Ive got one about Des Nielson to listen to I got on the £3 sale. Also listened to one recently County Lines about drug dealing in the UK. The same guy also did that also has one about Brexit I fancy. Im planning on using my credit this month for 'The Five by Hallie Rubenhold, its an indepth look at Jack The Ripper victims.
Ah ok. I'm only really good for fiction recommendations. Hopefully someone else will have some good nonfiction recs for you 😊

Ah ok. I'm only really good for fiction recommendations. Hopefully someone else will have some good nonfiction recs for you 😊
I love fiction but to read. I zone out more with fiction books or maybe I can miss some bits with non fiction and it be ok 😆 I have American Dirt to listen to aswell.

I think fiction do draw me in more probably so I then struggle to listen and do whatever Im doing and I tend to only listen to Audible when Im doing something else. If Ive got time to sit Id read rather than listen. If that makes sense.

Reactions: 3
I love fiction but to read. I zone out more with fiction books or maybe I can miss some bits with non fiction and it be ok 😆 I have American Dirt to listen to aswell.

I think fiction do draw me in more probably so I then struggle to listen and do whatever Im doing and I tend to only listen to Audible when Im doing something else. If Ive got time to sit Id read rather than listen. If that makes sense.
have you read this one,

Discover the shocking truth behind the life and business of Sir Phillip Green
Sir Philip Green is no stranger to scandal. He was once hailed one of Britain's best businessmen and had prime ministers and supermodels on speed dial. But his reputation came crashing down when Oliver Shah uncovered the truth behind his doomed BHS deal. The collapse of British Home Stores left 11,000 employees without jobs and put 20,000 people's pensions at risk. Green eventually paid 363m towards the company's 571m pension deficit. In October 2018, Green was named as the business figure at the heart of Britain's #MeToo scandal. With accusations of harassment flooding the press, and with Topshop's pension deficit rising to almost double the figure that toppled BHS, can the retail tycoon survive yet another scandal? In Damaged Goods, Oliver Shah, the award-winning journalist who first broke the BHS story, shines a light on Green's past and his uncertain future; this is the extraordinary account of the retail magnate Sir Philip Green's fall from grace.

My partner just bought ‘love as always’ which was written by one of Fred & rose west’s children about growing up with them. Looks very interesting.

On my to read list is also ‘the real silent witnesses’. I’ve always been very intrigued by non fiction

have you read this one,

Discover the shocking truth behind the life and business of Sir Phillip Green
Sir Philip Green is no stranger to scandal. He was once hailed one of Britain's best businessmen and had prime ministers and supermodels on speed dial. But his reputation came crashing down when Oliver Shah uncovered the truth behind his doomed BHS deal. The collapse of British Home Stores left 11,000 employees without jobs and put 20,000 people's pensions at risk. Green eventually paid 363m towards the company's 571m pension deficit. In October 2018, Green was named as the business figure at the heart of Britain's #MeToo scandal. With accusations of harassment flooding the press, and with Topshop's pension deficit rising to almost double the figure that toppled BHS, can the retail tycoon survive yet another scandal? In Damaged Goods, Oliver Shah, the award-winning journalist who first broke the BHS story, shines a light on Green's past and his uncertain future; this is the extraordinary account of the retail magnate Sir Philip Green's fall from grace.
No! But sounds like something Id love...

I found a audio ok recording of The Song of Achilles on YouTube and now I need to buy the book. I've decided that I prefer to read books than listen to them but the audio book still had me in tears towards the end. When I read the actual book I think it will ruin me.

Going to pop to Waterstones tomorrow and have a browse and might pop to The Works as they seem to have some decent books on 3 for £5. My first Box of stories is also being delivered on Friday and I've downloaded two kindle books today...oops 😬😬

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I didn’t know that!
Love Liane, but Nine Perfect Strangers was terrible compared to her others 😢
could not agree more!! I’ve told a few people who like her work to avoid that book, it was so disappointing.
I really like Nicole as well and I have the ex on my long list of books to read 🙈

No! But sounds like something Id love...
I have it downloaded but as of yet haven’t got around to it, I sway towards fiction and I need to step out of my comfort zone!

Reactions: 2
I absolutely loved Eleanor Oliphant! I think I ended up reading it in less than 24 hours as I just fell in love with it.

Normal People is one of the only books I’ve ever given up on. I think I got about 40% of the way and just didn’t care enough to read on. I found it dull as dishwater! Hopefully you find it a much better read than I did - it’s got so many great reviews that I may have just been an anomaly!
I thought Normal People was so bad. A poor version of One Day.
I hated the character of Marianne so much. A pretentious annoying pain up the arse. And I got so irritated with the predictable shite of gawky nerdy girl become so hot and desirable to everyone. Obviously that can and does happen but it was so bleeping obvious. Also I hated the message that the smaller and thinner she got through misery the more waifishly beautiful she became. (Marianne Keyes also does this all the time with her female protagonists).
I actually far preferred the TV programme.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.