Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read about 20% of the Sanatorium and I’m very close to giving up. It reminds me of YA fiction. And to be honest that’s probably an insult to some of the amazing YA authors 😂. Can anyone confirm it gets better and encourage me to truck on please?
I finished it a couple of months ago and was very underwhelmed I have to say. If you don't enjoy it, put it aside and read something else - that would be my advice ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone read a book called Blackberry winter by Sarah Jio? I’ve just finished reading it and it would definitely recommend it. It is set in Seattle but it alternates between the life of a poor single mother in 1933 and a Seattle Hearld reporter in 2010. Think I might read Hamnet next, anybody read it?

Read about 20% of the Sanatorium and I’m very close to giving up. It reminds me of YA fiction. And to be honest that’s probably an insult to some of the amazing YA authors 😂. Can anyone confirm it gets better and encourage me to truck on please?
I really enjoyed the Sanatorium but i liked it right from the first few pages so if you are 20% through and you don’t like it I’d give up and pick up something else!

Reactions: 2
Thanks everyone really appreciate the advice! I’m going to pick up something else this evening! I might revisit the sanatorium another time and give it a second whirl.

I loved Daisy Jones and the Six. If you think you'd read another by that author I can highly recommend The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.
I really want to read Evelyn Hugo! I tried to get out the ebook from my library but apparently my county only has 1 copy of the ebook to loan and there's a 6 month wait for it! Now the libraries are open again I might go try get a physical copy. Is there a film coming out or something? I can't figure out why it has such a long wait.

Reactions: 1
So, I always read Cathy Kelly, and when she releases a new book I’ll always download it on the first few days, not because she’s an amazing author, it’s just routine, none are ever “bad” so it’s comforting to know I’ll most likely enjoy it,
even if it’s not going to win any awards. 🤷‍♀️

but her last one was sooooooooo bad, like almost lazy bad!!! No not almost, it was clearly a half arsed book rushed out, It’s made me angry at her 😂 it felt like she was ok releasing a book that lacked any plot just for the sake of having a release in 2020. 😕

it’s now made me hesitate and think before buying her new one that was released today 😂

does anyone else get like this after reading a book that clearly should never have been published? And wouldn’t have been if she wasn’t an established author!

I really want to read Evelyn Hugo! I tried to get out the ebook from my library but apparently my county only has 1 copy of the ebook to loan and there's a 6 month wait for it! Now the libraries are open again I might go try get a physical copy. Is there a film coming out or something? I can't figure out why it has such a long wait.
I wish we could all share books here 😂🙈

Reactions: 6
I think I've been ruined. I have my library books but I am struggling to read it. I don't know whether it is because I find it easier to pick up the kindle OR the book itself lol. I need to force myself to carry on because it is an interesting story.

Just finished Last One at the Party and loved it! I finished work early today and I’ve pretty much sat reading the second half since about 3pm.

I loved that it mentioned the coronavirus pandemic but then focused on the next big pandemic, talking about the lessons learned around the world - such an interesting concept to take an actual real life event and then say ‘what happens next?’

I was really quite emotional at various points but the writing style keeps it light and pacy.

However, I need to know more about the ending! I feel like I invested so much in the character and her story and I don’t think it’s finished!! What happened?!??

I’ve just downloaded Followers by Megan Angelo as my next read - 99p on Kindle.
Last One At The Party by Bethany Clift: I've just started reading this. I must admit that to begin with, I found the subject matter a bit near the knuckle given COVID, but I'm about 20% through it and I'm finding it hard to put down. I love the main character, and the fact that she doesn't take the obvious/sensible route, chosing instead to be a bit more Bridget Jones than Lara Croft. Great book so far 👌

So, I always read Cathy Kelly, and when she releases a new book I’ll always download it on the first few days, not because she’s an amazing author, it’s just routine, none are ever “bad” so it’s comforting to know I’ll most likely enjoy it,

but her last one was sooooooooo bad, like almost lazy bad!!! No not almost, it was clearly a half arsed book rushed out, It’s made me angry at her 😂 it felt like she was ok releasing a book that lacked any plot just for the sake of having a release in 2020. 😕

it’s now made me hesitate and think before buying her new one that was released today 😂

does anyone else get like this after reading a book that clearly should never have been published? And wouldn’t have been if she wasn’t an established author!

Lessons in Heartbreak and The Year that Changed Everything were the last 2 books of hers that I read in recent years. Both got poor reviews from me and I can't even remember what they were about now. Think Cathy's books can be very hit and miss and I too resent the fact that she hides one good book in the midst of a few crap ones.

Oh dear. I'm a Cathy Kelly fan (as is my mum) so I'm sad to hear this. What is the book?

Just seen that last one at the party is 99p for kindle - after seeing a few people say it's good here I clicked that buy button so fast 😂 it's so easy for kindle, too easy...

Reactions: 5
Just seen that last one at the party is 99p for kindle - after seeing a few people say it's good here I clicked that buy button so fast 😂 it's so easy for kindle, too easy...
Ooh I’m off to buy it....ta x

Reactions: 4
Bought and finished watch her fall by Erin Kelly - excellent!!!!
Really really enjoyed it! Recommend

Just had a little look at this on good reads. Sounds very good. Onto my list it goes!
I’ve never read anything set around the ballet, I was excited to read it (I tried to wait for it to be reduced 🙈😂 but failed)
it was better that I hoped! ☺

An old favourite book of mine is Ballerina by Edward Stewart. I am a huge ballet fan and found it so gripping.

I’ve never read anything set around the ballet, I was excited to read it (I tried to wait for it to be reduced 🙈😂 but failed)
it was better that I hoped! ☺
Added it to my list as well 😊

I just read it, and I think it's popularity comes from it being in a genre were there aren't a lot of other books which fit into the niche (I'm trying not to spoil anything so sorry if I'm being vague!) so it gets brought up frequently in online discussions, leading to it becoming very popular!

I just read it, and I think it's popularity comes from it being in a genre were there aren't a lot of other books which fit into the niche (I'm trying not to spoil anything so sorry if I'm being vague!) so it gets brought up frequently in online discussions, leading to it becoming very popular!
I........ I’m sorry 🙈🙈 didn’t love it. I don’t get the hype.
Although I do, I think it ticks boxes that authors might want to tick to keep the public happy and I hate when books do this if it’s FEELS like that’s happening and it’s not just a normal part of the plot.

• Sad

About 20+ years ago I was the same as you with Danielle Steel books. As soon as one came out in paperback I’d buy it.
Then she released The Klone and I.
It was the worst book I‘d ever read and I‘ve not read any of her books since.
As I matured, I’d have probably moved on from her eventually anyway but the absolute dross of that book killed my enjoyment of her books entirely.

About 20+ years ago I was the same as you with Danielle Steel books. As soon as one came out in paperback I’d buy it.
Then she released The Klone and I.
It was the worst book I‘d ever read and I‘ve not read any of her books since.
As I matured, I’d have probably moved on from her eventually anyway but the absolute dross of that book killed my enjoyment of her books entirely.
I loved Danielle Steel years ago 😂 but gosh her writing lately is awful, has been for years now, I half wondered if someone else was writing for her and putting her name to them, it’s like reading a school girl‘s essay with a word target to hit.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.