Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Geranium

VIP Member
Haha spot on 😂
And yes the bit where she is forced to sell the huge family home and buys a small run down cottage but turns it a cosy and elegant dwelling with candles and a permanently crackling fire.
The other version is that she is attractive, but slightly overweight and frumpy. Through misery and living in the countryside she loses the weight, gets a tan and of course is able to spurn her husband after his affair did not work out.
Of course, forgot that bit!

• Haha
Reactions: 1

Regina George

VIP Member
Started reading The Arrangement by Miranda Rijks today and I’m gripped. I started reading for a few minutes on my lunch break and kept counting down hours till I could start it again. Nothing major has happened bar one big scene setting incident in the first chapter but I’m really drawn in by it.
You really sold this to me! It’s going to be my next read.

EENER159

Chatty Member
Have yall read: The Things We Can Not Say by Kelly Rimmer I listened to this book last year, and when i say i am still clinging onto the characters in this book.... I AM... It is set in 1942 WWII... and follows a girl from a young age to adulthood and all the things she has lived through... That is all i am going to say about it... dont want to give it away... OH MY~

Geranium

VIP Member
I'm currently reading Rebecca as wanted to read it before I watched the film and I'm really struggling with it. The writing is beautiful, the descriptions of the house etc. But I find the characters unlikeable and a bit boring, and the plot quite predictable. I think maybe as I went into it with super high expectations which makes it feel more disappointing?

It's my goal to read some Jane Austen this year - I can't believe I have never read any of hers. I bought Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility.
They are both great. Kind of at different ends of a the spectrum. S &S is about youthful falling in love and Persuasion is about a more mature love affair. Let me know what you think.

slugella

VIP Member
No but I've previously read one of her other books. Apparently Prince Phillip appears as a character which is incredibly convenient!

On a serious note, I see her books being raved about in historical fiction groups I'm in. If I didn't have a huuuugggeee TBR pile then I'd be considering this as well.
I've read the Alice Network by her which I enjoyed but didn't realise it was the same author til you mentioned her other books and I had a nosey.

I will let you know how I get on with this one :)

Custard cream

Does anyone use a book subscription service? I keep getting ads for a box of stories and it looks quite good (about 15 per box for four books).
A few years ago I had a monthly book subscription from the Willoughby book club. I really enjoyed it because I ended up reading books that I wouldn’t have ordinarily picked out for myself. The books were always wrapped so nicely too!

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I’m on a book buying ban this month (got way too many unread ones!) so I’ll just be adding all suggestions onto my wish list for May 😂

I know it may give away our real identities but does anyone track their reads on goodreads?
I do! I love good reads.

Sarah1971

I’m reading a book called The Cutting Place, by one of my favourite crime writers Jane Casey. I love her police officer heroine, Maeve.
I’ve read all those. I really enjoyed them. Have you tried Kerry Wilkinson? The Jessica Daniel series is really good.

HoGi

VIP Member
Has anyone read Bridgeton? Loved the series but not sure what the book is like??
I have just finished the second book.

They are quite different to the series. A lot of what happened in series 1 doesn't happen in either book 1 or 2.

I watched the first episode then read the whole of book 1 then went back to watch the whole season. My friend who watched the season and is now reading the book is struggling with the book.

However I find them quite enjoyable. Worth a read if you enjoy the series in my opinion

HoGi

VIP Member
same! I expected more, it wasn’t bad it just wasn’t anything special,

watch her fall by Erin Kelly I read directly after and really enjoyed!
But as I’ve said before I think I love the behind the scenes of the dark elite ballet world aspect!
Yeh totally agree. Wouldn't recommend it people but I still enjoyed it

I love books about ballet so I will have to check that out

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
You've encouraged me to buy the one you just read. I have The Choice on my kindle too. Love a dystopia.

Ones I've read and liked:
Vox - Christina Dalcher
The Disappeared - Amy Lord
Sleep Donation - Karen Russell
The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist

And if you're like me and also like anything apocolypse/pandemic-y
The Last - Hannah Jameson
Station Eleven - Emily St John Mandel
The Dreamers - Karen Thomas Walker
Shall definitely have to check those out. I love anything dystopian and end of the world-y in both books and films.

On the same vein, I’m currently reading Skin by Liam Brown and even though it came out pre-Covid, it could easily have been written about this pandemic. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
What Alice Forget - loved, and I generally dislike Liane Moriarty as she is dull and predictable.
could not agree with this more!!!! I loved what Alice forgot (I half wonder if her sister wrote it 😂) nine perfect strangers was one of the worst books I read that year.
I don’t even rate big little lies that much.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I didn’t realise Bird Box was a book! I must read it. Loved the Hunger Games too. I remember starting it on Saturday morning and my husband getting angry with me because I didn’t get up until lunch time!
Bird Box is so much better as a book than the film. I loved the film and have watched it several times but the book in incredible. There’s a sequel to it called Malorie but I’ve yet to read it.

I’ve just finished people like her....wow!

randomly scrolled through my kindle with eyes closed to pick next read and landed on the passengers by John marrs....anyone read?
That was the first John Marrs book I read and I liked it. It made me want to read more of him

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I wouldn't really say it's the 'woke' aspect of it that bothers me. All the characters were very one dimensional and almost caricatures. Not a lot happens throughout the book and then when we do get to the trial it just kind of fizzles by. There just doesn't seem enough time devoted to it after all that build up. It starts off well but then just loses its way.[spolier]
Totally get your point, I actually dislike Lee as an author and maybe it’s different for me pbecause I studied it for so long it holds a place in my heart 😂 my comment about wokeness relates more to the fact everything that’s deemed priblamatic seems to be on the chopping block lately 😏 it’s still an excellent book.

Regina George

VIP Member
Oh wow I’ve had prime for ages and didn’t know about first reads 🤦🏼‍♀️

Think I’m going for The Aftermath.