Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

jarv

VIP Member
I bought the flight attendant earlier, total impulse purchase as I watched the first episode of it earlier 😂 will give it a go tonight

Reactions: 1

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
The Last Night by Mhairi Macfarlane. Her debut novel was one of the best books I’ve ever read but her other novels have got progressively worse - this felt like a return to form and I really enjoyed it!
Next up is the Sanatorium. Hyped up books make me nervous .... let’s see what all the fuss is about!
Happy reading everyone ❤
couldn't agree more about Last Night, much better than her last (which in fairness I did enjoy bar the ending) and I really recommend it again!
the sanatorium I didn’t love, it’s readable, but nothing special. At least I didn’t find it lived up to my expectations, others might love it!

Geranium

VIP Member
You all are my soul mates 🥰🥰. I read through these threads and have found soooo many books I want to read.
I do love me some gritty detective novels but my fav genre is historical non-fiction; I’m a nerd.
I tend to read actual books and when at work on break I’ll read something on my kindle app
But something about holding a physical book *shivers*. I know I’m weird but I love it.
We have a great bookstore that always has 5$ book sales so I go crazy there and a massive used book warehouse where you find anything and everything.

I just finished “Perpetrators, Victims, Bystanders” by Raul Hilberg (read that quite a few times over the years)
Before that I read “The Heart of Everything That Is” by Bob Drury & Tom Clavin
Just started “Life after Life” by Kate Atkinson
Will get to ordering the many books you guys have mentioned for my next reads , thanks for all the recommendations 👍
Life after Life is a favourite of mine. 😃

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
You’re not really selling the Aftermath to me 😂
I think I just felt it was going to be more suspenseful than it’s turning out to be. It’s still readable but I think I expected more of an exciting thriller type of book.

Found this line in a review on Amazon and it’s fits very well...
“It’s an ok read. Not going to blow your socks off and not going to tax the brain. Worth a look.”

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Im a great fan of MK but Grownups has me struggling for some reason?

I have that to read at some point! Natalie Barrelli is really good. Ive read all of her books
Oh really? I must admit the large cast did put me off a bit but now I'm racing through it. Did wonder why there was a family tree at the beginning but it does help my baby brain remember who is related to who 🤪

Notworthy

VIP Member
I’m reading it at the minute, I’m just under half way through and I’m really enjoying it so far. However I started it with low expectations as I thought it had been so over hyped in the media etc.

I’ve just finished Win by Harlen Coben and thought it was fantastic - so great to get to find out more about Win as he’s mentioned in some of Harlen Coben’s other books.
Win is such a fantastic character. I love the Myron Bolitar books

Notworthy

VIP Member
I didn't realise that JP Delaney is a pseudonym. Other names are Anthony Capella, Jonathon Holt and Tony Strong

Just finished book 3 of the year. Not much but I’m feeling much more inclined to read. I read 100 pages over yesterday and this morning and powered through to finish it. Onto the next one!

I’m going to read Before the Coffee Gets Cold now
I read tons in the Summer. Sun lounger out yesterday and a new book started.

Betty701

Chatty Member
I’m just going to download people like her. I’ve just read this time next year which was a very quick and easy read. I’m listening to a promised land Obama’s biography which is not a quick and easy listen I’ve got 2 hours left I think.

Eureka

VIP Member
Just bought for 99p Lightseekers by Femi Kayode it came up on my recommended books- a crime fiction that is set in Nigeria about a psychologist who goes to a remote town to investigate a triple murder. I will start it next. It looks good
Thanks for the recommendation, just bought it.

Ah OK this one isn't about sisters. Must a few spoiler covers around!
I think people think they're being clever, but after that massive one I look out for it!

I've just realised I can do a spoiler.....

It was the Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Kimmylookatme

Chatty Member
I’ve just read TM Logan’s The Catch. It seemed like kind of a ridiculous premise, this whole thriller built around someone’s hunch, but turned out to be fairly absorbing if a bit silly. I do love a trashy thriller!
Other end of the scale, also just finished Jean Rhys’ Good Morning Midnight for uni and absolutely loved it once I got into the style of writing. Really incredible. Interesting to see what people have said about Matt Haig - never read any of his stuff and wondered if it was overhyped.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I found that one, and actually read the story online but it was a very religious story and there was no lion so I wasn’t sure...
I think there’s possibly similar themes of the children going somewhere they know they shouldn’t but beyond that, it’s not a match.

The more I think about it, it may been a wolf instead of a lion. Or possibly a big dog. I’m sure it talked though, whatever animal it was.

It has sort of Hansel and Gretel vibes in that the children were in a wood with a character nearby who wanted to do them harm so they had to stay away. I can’t remember if the witch/woman/hag got to them in the end...

I think I remember the girl having to leave the boy in some kind of house/cottage/shelter while she went to get help/magic/medicine as her brother was getting weaker and weaker because of the thorn.

I'm on my dystopian ban as it started messing with my head haha. I am currently reading If I had never met you and about 60% in. I'm finding myself really getting into it. I am hoping to finish this over the next couple of days. It is different to my last few reads and I am finding it quite refreshing.

Geranium

VIP Member
I really like Dorothy Koomson. The sequel to The Ice Cream Girls came out last year, All My Lies are True. That's really good too
I didn’t know there was a sequel...
Thank you, I need to read that!

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I've finished Skin by Liam Brown which I downloaded for 99p. I would give this 3.5/5. Interesting story, very realistic and easy to imagine. I kept forgetting this was based in the UK. My imagination kept slipping to this being an american home etc until I saw "mum" or Centre". I didn't like a couple of the characters in the book and I felt the ending wasn't particularly satisfying and easy to guess.
I felt the ending was a bit of a cop out and a bit underwhelming. I didn’t like that the son was the whole key to the ending because I’d hated him all the way through. I wanted to know if the virus was still there, how/if they came out of quarantine etc - perhaps because those questions are so pertinent to our lives right now.

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Hallo 👋
New poster on this thread - don't know how I have missed it so far!
I heard a book being discussed on the radio I am really keen to read - Unsettled Ground by Clare Fuller. It sounds so good, coming out very soon I think. I haven't read any other Clare Fuller - has anyone else?
Our Endless Numbered Days was her debut and is a really good book, I have read another of hers - Bitter Orange which I liked too but her debut was better. I am looking forward to Unsettled Ground.