Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

nbt

VIP Member
Going to download the new DCI Kett book by Alex Smith, which is the sixth in the series and out today.

They’re on unlimited if anyone fancies trying out a new series.

Quite gritty in places, but a good set of regular characters with some unpredictable humour thrown in.

Reactions: 1

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I never managed to get into Wild Swans, then I lent someone my copy and it was never returned! That has happened so often I now never lend books! Read Diary of a Nobody at college and loved it. Some bits of it still make me giggle when I think about it all those years later!
Diary of a Nobody was such an unexpected delight for me. So funny and charming. Will always love it.

I was dusting my shelves this morning and my partners copy of Wild Swans caught my eye and I thought oh I really should read that! Your post has encouraged me to bump it up the to be read list :giggle:
I’m sure you will enjoy it. It’s so interesting and moving to hear the way women lived and survived. A wonderful book.

Booklover

VIP Member
I've finished Silver Sparrow by Tayari Jones. Bloody brilliant. Highly recommend it.
I've just started Hamnet this afternoon. What a contrast! I've read quite a few of Maggie O'Farrell's and her writing is always great IMO, so have high hopes for this. Anyone read it yet?

nbt

VIP Member
I’m currently reading What You Did by Claire McGowan and enjoying it so far, I’m about half way through. It’s on kindle unlimited too!

tw rape
Downloaded, thanks! I’ve not read for almost two weeks now because of having stuff on TV to watch. Think I’m going to spend a couple of hours catching up this evening 😍

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I meant to say, I shared LOATP on Insta and tagged the author. She replied to me and we sent a few messages back and forth. I love the book and her even more now, what a lovely thing to do 🥰
I wondered who you were talking about when you mentioned this on the WHYDT thread!! How lovely!

• Heart

Kitt

VIP Member
As others have said LOTR and Hunger Games are great movie adaptations (although Hunger Games does leave out a lot). The 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is great and I really enjoyed the recent adaptation of Little Women.

I really like the Hitchcock film of Rebecca too.
Yes, I looooove the recent adaptation of Little Women.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Ok, I may need to start a new thread for this request because it sounds like most of you are into psychological/thrillers but ...

Can anyone recommend a bit of a sexy book? 😳 I love a good erotic story but I’m not into reading about millionaires slapping the shite out of some poor girl. I just want to read about good old traditional sex between a man and a woman!
When I say traditional, I don’t mean Mills & Boons / Jilly Cooper style, I’m looking for modern day romances.

I promise I’m not a perv 🙈😂
if you’re looking for raunchy, with a good story line to boot check out someone like Tasmania Perry or Tilly Bagshawe, original sin, gold diggers, Fame, scandalous, they have tons, really good plots with full on sex scenes 😂

or Louise Bagshawe’s earlier books 😂 yes that MP Louise Bagshawe 😂

I read them years back, nothing wrong with a good sex scene once it’s got something more about it.

50 shades....hard pass. Pardon the pun

prinnygrace

VIP Member
Totally get your point, I actually dislike Lee as an author and maybe it’s different for me pbecause I studied it for so long it holds a place in my heart 😂 my comment about wokeness relates more to the fact everything that’s deemed priblamatic seems to be on the chopping block lately 😏 it’s still an excellent book.
TKAMB will always hold a place in my heart because of studying it in school 🤣 it was the first big novel tackling difficult themes that I really ever read. I think I could read it again and again and still like it just because I’d go back to GCSE English mode😂

• Heart

Notworthy

VIP Member
Love The Hunger Games, it's what encouraged me to read the books.

I've enjoyed Series 1 of Big Little Lies and am re watching it with my other half so we can both watch series 2 together.

I initially really liked The Handmaid's Tale but have stopped watching somewhere in series 3.

We Need To Talk About Kevin really encouraged me to read the book too, that was good.

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid but reaaaaaaaally hated the film adaptation. I was really happy to watch the Netflix series, it was everything I wanted from the adaptation and felt it was done with real love for the books.
Definitely jumped the shark series 3. 1st series and 1st half of 2nd series were cannot miss then it just got silly

To be honest even if I found the book I am looking for my memory of it is that vague that I probably wouldn't even know it was the correct one 😂.

I used to really love the Caroline Akrill horse books when I was younger, think there were 3 of them. It had an eccentric family in it that took on a trainee event ride or similar.

We had a book club at school and mum.used to give me money each week to pay in then when I had enough I used to love choosing my books! Then she joined me at the local mobile library where I read every Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High book!

Love those memories.
I loved The Black Stallion books

Last edited:

Gamu

VIP Member
I love books by Amanda Robson. I think they would be classified as " domestic noir" was excited to see i can preorder her latest..there's good ones coming up by some of my faves, Tasmina Perry, Tammy Cohen. Must be for holiday reading :(

Lindsey Kelk is my favourite series with the I heart series. I still haven't read I Heart Hawaii cause I don't want it to end. I find it weird Angela having a baby. I have to agree with you @Oohthedrama I'm also not as excited about her other books. I've read them but don't have the same sort of spark.

I also loved the True blood book series by Charlaine Harris. I loved the TV series and loved the books even more. I would love to get into a long series with like 12 titles but not found any!

silkytoes

I finished The Choice yesterday. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it. It was a little 'dystopia by numbers' so it was fairly easy to see where it was going but that's fine!

Kitt

VIP Member
Not strictly just a bookish question but what’s everyone’s favourite book to movie / tv adaptation? Which ones have they done best in your opinion? And what books would make good tv and films that you hope they adapt at some point?

Koakes

Just Finished Every Last Fear last night. It was so so so good!! I couldn't put it down

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I’m about a quarter of the way through The Aftermath and I’ve made myself stop reading as I am enjoying it so much I don’t want to finish it too quickly!
Ooh this sounds promising! I’ve got 20% left of Skin and then I’m on it. You’ve got me excited for it 😊

Keet

Chatty Member
I’ve just finished This child of mine. Really not sure what I thought of it, felt like it jumped the shark with the ending. Didn’t overly like any of the main characters by the end of it either.