Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished "Death Comes to Pemberley". It was surprisingly good, but I got frustrated that there was so much copy and pasting of dialogue/ descriptions from Pride and Prejudice.
I didn't mind it but I didn't love it. I'm intrigued to read Pride and Premeditation which I think is coming out soon.

Reactions: 1
I felt the same about the Sophie Hannah Poirot books. I like Sophie, I like Poirot but I did not like the too together!
I feel exactly the same! At times it felt like I was reading a parody of the Suchet adaptation

I didn't mind it but I didn't love it. I'm intrigued to read Pride and Premeditation which I think is coming out soon.
Who wrote/ is writing that? I've not heard of it.

Reactions: 2
I feel exactly the same! At times it felt like I was reading a parody of the Suchet adaptation

Who wrote/ is writing that? I've not heard of it.
Tirzah Price, I've seen it advertised on Instagram adverts. It's a retelling where Elizabeth wants to be a lawyer like her father. I think it is technically in the YA category.

Not strictly just a bookish question but what’s everyone’s favourite book to movie / tv adaptation? Which ones have they done best in your opinion? And what books would make good tv and films that you hope they adapt at some point?

Not strictly just a bookish question but what’s everyone’s favourite book to movie / tv adaptation? Which ones have they done best in your opinion? And what books would make good tv and films that you hope they adapt at some point?
I loved The Hungrr Games adaptations. It’s one of my favourite book series ever and I love the films - particularly the first one. I think the story and characters translated really well to the screen and as far as I remember they stuck to the source material fairly well.

Reactions: 4
LOTR trilogy. I adored the books and was scared the films would not do them justice but they did.

I love a book called Greeen Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge. It’s set in both Guernsey and in New Zealand, it’s historical about 2 sisters who love the same guy and I’ve always thought it would be a wonderful series.

LOTR trilogy. I adored the books and was scared the films would not do them justice but they did.

I love a book called Greeen Dolphin Country by Elizabeth Goudge. It’s set in both Guernsey and in New Zealand, it’s historical about 2 sisters who love the same guy and I’ve always thought it would be a wonderful series.
I love it too ! I still have my copy, first read it when I was about 11 I think, it's probably the only book I've kept from my childhood.

• Heart
As others have said LOTR and Hunger Games are great movie adaptations (although Hunger Games does leave out a lot). The 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is great and I really enjoyed the recent adaptation of Little Women.

I really like the Hitchcock film of Rebecca too.

Love The Hunger Games, it's what encouraged me to read the books.

I've enjoyed Series 1 of Big Little Lies and am re watching it with my other half so we can both watch series 2 together.

I initially really liked The Handmaid's Tale but have stopped watching somewhere in series 3.

We Need To Talk About Kevin really encouraged me to read the book too, that was good.

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid but reaaaaaaaally hated the film adaptation. I was really happy to watch the Netflix series, it was everything I wanted from the adaptation and felt it was done with real love for the books.

As others have said LOTR and Hunger Games are great movie adaptations (although Hunger Games does leave out a lot). The 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is great and I really enjoyed the recent adaptation of Little Women.

I really like the Hitchcock film of Rebecca too.
Yes, I looooove the recent adaptation of Little Women.

Tirzah Price, I've seen it advertised on Instagram adverts. It's a retelling where Elizabeth wants to be a lawyer like her father. I think it is technically in the YA category.
Thank you! It sounds good so I've added it to my endless TBR list.

It's not the most faithful adaptation, but I loved the 2014 version of North and South (possibly because of Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe playing the leads).

Apart from that, The Pillars of the Earth was an excellent adaptation, and both of the Peter Wimsey adaptations are everything I wanted them to be. :love:

I yearn for a Bryant and May TV series adaptation because there is so much potential there for different directors to step in for different book adaptations.

Ok I have a few 😂😂
I saw an adaptation of Jane Eyre years ago that I really enjoyed, but I can’t for the life of me find it again.

Modern would be Crazy Rich Asians, that’s probably because I really, really did love that series 😂
also ‘something borrowed’ with Kate Hudson, i really want them to make “something blue” 😩 they HAD A SCRIPT!!!
i now want to reread both books in that series 😐

Overall winner.
Muppets Christmas Carol. Don’t fight me.

• Haha
Love The Hunger Games, it's what encouraged me to read the books.

I've enjoyed Series 1 of Big Little Lies and am re watching it with my other half so we can both watch series 2 together.

I initially really liked The Handmaid's Tale but have stopped watching somewhere in series 3.

We Need To Talk About Kevin really encouraged me to read the book too, that was good.

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid but reaaaaaaaally hated the film adaptation. I was really happy to watch the Netflix series, it was everything I wanted from the adaptation and felt it was done with real love for the books.
A series of unfortunate events was my lifeeeeee growing up. I absolutely adored that book series. Also hated the film! The series was ok but still not anywhere near the books. I’d have loved some episodes on the later books rather than the most popular ones.

A series of unfortunate events was my lifeeeeee growing up. I absolutely adored that book series. Also hated the film! The series was ok but still not anywhere near the books. I’d have loved some episodes on the later books rather than the most popular ones.
Did you watch all 3 series? They did 2 episodes per book for all 13 books except the very last which was just one ☺

I'll be going to my local library tomorrow to pick up 3 books I placed holds on.

Bird box - Josh Malerman
Broadcast - Liam Brown
ABC murders - Agatha Christie

I want to try another Agatha Christie and see how I get on with ABC murders. This is the first time I've gone to the library in almost a year. I am really excited!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ok I have a few 😂😂
I saw an adaptation of Jane Eyre years ago that I really enjoyed, but I can’t for the life of me find it again.

Modern would be Crazy Rich Asians, that’s probably because I really, really did love that series 😂
also ‘something borrowed’ with Kate Hudson, i really want them to make “something blue” 😩 they HAD A SCRIPT!!!
i now want to reread both books in that series 😐

Overall winner.
Muppets Christmas Carol. Don’t fight me.
There was a Jane Eyre adaptation with Ruth Wilson in the early/mid 2000's?

I love it too ! I still have my copy, first read it when I was about 11 I think, it's probably the only book I've kept from my childhood.
You’ve no idea how happy this makes me! I’ve never met anyone else who’s even heard of it let alone read it and loved it ❤

Thank you! It sounds good so I've added it to my endless TBR list.

It's not the most faithful adaptation, but I loved the 2014 version of North and South (possibly because of Richard Armitage and Daniela Denby-Ashe playing the leads).
Oh that’s an amazing adaptation...that scene in the mill shed with all the cotton in the air around them...those two had such chemistry!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have been trying to find the name of a book for years that I read as a youngster (probably 9ish so around 1984). And absolutely cannot find it but the information i have is so vague.

It was about a little girl from i think the carribean but could be wrong and was about her family life. It had the most lovely illustrations (though I could be imagining them 😂).

I have sent emails and made calls to try and find the name of this book but had zero luck. Anyone have any idea on how I could find it?

I had similar with another book I read when younger but managed to find that one and it wasnt as good as I remember lol (hear the children calling).

Any advice in tracking books with limited information would be great.

So I’ve started reading ‘The Midnight Library’ and from the offset, it reminds me of a more dark, adult version of a book I read when I was younger which was ‘The far away tree’ series by Enid Blyton. Where the children go to the top of the tree and there’s a different world there each time.

that was one of my favourite series growing up, along with Mallory towers and the Roald Dahl classics. I’m half tempted to take them all back with me next time I visit my parents house and give them a read for old times sake 🥰

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.