Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've finished The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson and it was not what I was expecting at all. It was deep and disturbing, yet gripping and a book that I think I'll always remember.

p. s. the downside of reading an actual book was completely losing track of time and staying up way too late, at least my kindle has a clock that I can check every now and then.

Reactions: 4
I have been wanting to read Agatha Christie for a while. I started murder on the orient express but couldn't get into it. So I have paused it for now and started on my free Amazon book for the month. I decided to try The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent. First couple of chapters seem good but I haven't been in the right mood to read today. I'm sure I will pick it back up in next few days.
I'm going back to swimming 4+ times a week (hopefully) on Monday so I am worried I won't be reading as much.

Reactions: 3
My MIL gave me a pile of books to borrow (I’ve already got a huge bookcase full of unread books of my own 😬) so I picked a new one out last night.
The Snakes by Sadie Jones. Blurb sounds good but reviews on Amazon are a bit hit and miss. Has anyone read it?

Reactions: 1
My MIL gave me a pile of books to borrow (I’ve already got a huge bookcase full of unread books of my own 😬) so I picked a new one out last night.
The Snakes by Sadie Jones. Blurb sounds good but reviews on Amazon are a bit hit and miss. Has anyone read it?
I’ve read it....it started off well but then just got worse and worse 🙈

I have been wanting to read Agatha Christie for a while. I started murder on the orient express but couldn't get into it. So I have paused it for now and started on my free Amazon book for the month. I decided to try The Watcher Girl by Minka Kent. First couple of chapters seem good but I haven't been in the right mood to read today. I'm sure I will pick it back up in next few days.
I'm going back to swimming 4+ times a week (hopefully) on Monday so I am worried I won't be reading as much.
I’ve heard Agatha Christie’s best work that still stands up today is And Then There Were None. Heard so many people say the others are just pretty boring but that ones still a good read.

I’ve just had to abandon the book I was reading because it had a cat in it and I had a sneaking suspicion the cat would be harmed/killed as part of the plot and a little searching confirmed that was indeed going to happen and I just couldn’t go on...I’m a very strange person as I can read about all sorts of grisly murders etc and cope, but animal cruelty-no. When I’m watching films I’m always googling “does the dog/cat/horse die” ?

I’ve heard Agatha Christie’s best work that still stands up today is And Then There Were None. Heard so many people say the others are just pretty boring but that ones still a good read.
I love Agatha Christie, it’s real comfort reading for me. A good one to try is The murder of Roger Ackroyd which has for its time a really innovative twist.

Reactions: 2
I'm so glad you loved it too!! I felt the same about the ending. The author is hoping to write a sequel so fingers crossed we get to find out more in the next book.
I hope there is too! Just finished it and enjoyed it!
We’ve had a community bookstop on the go since last March.12000 books swapped in our little town while the library remains shut. So all the books need to be picked up so I’ve picked up another 4 to add to myever increasing to read shelf.
Unsure what to start next. Have a couple of classicsdownloaded on my Kindle so may go for one those.

I found my next book!!!!!

Helen has it all...
Daniel is the perfect husband.
Rory is the perfect brother.
Serena is the perfect sister-in-law.

And Rachel? Rachel is the perfect nightmare.
When Helen, finally pregnant after years of tragedy, attends her first antenatal class, she is expecting her loving architect husband to arrive soon after, along with her confident, charming brother Rory and his pregnant wife, the effortlessly beautiful Serena. What she is not expecting is Rachel.

Extroverted, brash, unsettling single mother-to-be Rachel, who just wants to be Helen's friend. Who just wants to get know Helen and her friends and her family. Who just wants to know everything about them. Every little secret…

Reactions: 5
I found my next book!!!!!

Helen has it all...

Daniel is the perfect husband.
Rory is the perfect brother.
Serena is the perfect sister-in-law.

And Rachel? Rachel is the perfect nightmare.

When Helen, finally pregnant after years of tragedy, attends her first antenatal class, she is expecting her loving architect husband to arrive soon after, along with her confident, charming brother Rory and his pregnant wife, the effortlessly beautiful Serena. What she is not expecting is Rachel.

Extroverted, brash, unsettling single mother-to-be Rachel, who just wants to be Helen's friend. Who just wants to get know Helen and her friends and her family. Who just wants to know everything about them. Every little secret…
Oooo sounds good. What is it called

oh sorry 😂 greenwich park by katherine faulkner, not looked at reviews yet though!

I’m still waiting for “watch her fall” to be reduced 😏
Greenwich Park sounds my cuppa tea. Its on my wish list.

• Heart
Just finished The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli. Enjoyed it.
I did too, really enjoyable read. I am listening to JKR 's alter ego Robert Galbraith Troubled Blood. It is amazing I love it!

• Heart
oh sorry 😂 greenwich park by katherine faulkner, not looked at reviews yet though!

I’m still waiting for “watch her fall” to be reduced 😏
Greenwich Park sounds like my kind of book....just went to download it but it's not available in the US until Jan 2022 :(

• Sad
Just finished "Death Comes to Pemberley". It was surprisingly good, but I got frustrated that there was so much copy and pasting of dialogue/ descriptions from Pride and Prejudice.

Just finished "Death Comes to Pemberley". It was surprisingly good, but I got frustrated that there was so much copy and pasting of dialogue/ descriptions from Pride and Prejudice.
I did not enjoy this at all 🙈
I wanted to like it but it was a struggle.

• Heart
I felt the same about the Sophie Hannah Poirot books. I like Sophie, I like Poirot but I did not like the too together!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.