Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive just finished Lisa Jewell's Invisible Girl-not one of her bests but better then 'the family above'.

Reactions: 1
@Katykatykaty the book you are looking for isn't called The Hedge of Thorns is it? I was intrigued and had a search. It seems to involve a brother and sister going through a thick hedge and the sister getting injured. A writer called Mark Hamby has done a version (it is a very old story apparently).

Reactions: 2
@Katykatykaty the book you are looking for isn't called The Hedge of Thorns is it? I was intrigued and had a search. It seems to involve a brother and sister going through a thick hedge and the sister getting injured. A writer called Mark Hamby has done a version (it is a very old story apparently).
It’s possibly the closest thing to it that anyone’s suggested or I’ve found over the years but it’s not sitting right. It may have taken those themes as a starting point but gone in its own direction perhaps.

I’m certain there was a talking animal or the animal was some kind of guide who helped them on their journey through the woods. I think the girl possibly had to leave the woods to get something or some help for the boy but I could just be spiralling thoughts he he got sicker and sicker because of the thorn. I feel like there was some sort of magical element to it, not so much like spells and magic wands but just some sort of enchantment perhaps.

Thank you so much for helping with the search.

I found that one, and actually read the story online but it was a very religious story and there was no lion so I wasn’t sure...

I found that one, and actually read the story online but it was a very religious story and there was no lion so I wasn’t sure...
I think there’s possibly similar themes of the children going somewhere they know they shouldn’t but beyond that, it’s not a match.

The more I think about it, it may been a wolf instead of a lion. Or possibly a big dog. I’m sure it talked though, whatever animal it was.

It has sort of Hansel and Gretel vibes in that the children were in a wood with a character nearby who wanted to do them harm so they had to stay away. I can’t remember if the witch/woman/hag got to them in the end...

I think I remember the girl having to leave the boy in some kind of house/cottage/shelter while she went to get help/magic/medicine as her brother was getting weaker and weaker because of the thorn.

To be honest even if I found the book I am looking for my memory of it is that vague that I probably wouldn't even know it was the correct one 😂.

I used to really love the Caroline Akrill horse books when I was younger, think there were 3 of them. It had an eccentric family in it that took on a trainee event ride or similar.

We had a book club at school and mum.used to give me money each week to pay in then when I had enough I used to love choosing my books! Then she joined me at the local mobile library where I read every Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High book!

Love those memories.

Love The Hunger Games, it's what encouraged me to read the books.

I've enjoyed Series 1 of Big Little Lies and am re watching it with my other half so we can both watch series 2 together.

I initially really liked The Handmaid's Tale but have stopped watching somewhere in series 3.

We Need To Talk About Kevin really encouraged me to read the book too, that was good.

I loved A Series of Unfortunate Events as a kid but reaaaaaaaally hated the film adaptation. I was really happy to watch the Netflix series, it was everything I wanted from the adaptation and felt it was done with real love for the books.
Definitely jumped the shark series 3. 1st series and 1st half of 2nd series were cannot miss then it just got silly

To be honest even if I found the book I am looking for my memory of it is that vague that I probably wouldn't even know it was the correct one 😂.

I used to really love the Caroline Akrill horse books when I was younger, think there were 3 of them. It had an eccentric family in it that took on a trainee event ride or similar.

We had a book club at school and mum.used to give me money each week to pay in then when I had enough I used to love choosing my books! Then she joined me at the local mobile library where I read every Nancy Drew and Sweet Valley High book!

Love those memories.
I loved The Black Stallion books

Last edited:
Definitely jumped the shark series 3. 1st series and 1st half of 2nd series were cannot miss then it just got silly
I think it was the finale of series 2 where I was so annoyed by her decision making that I vowed I'd not watch anymore because it was so ridiculous. A finale of TV show has never made me so literally angry before haha.

I don't think I stuck to that, I think I started watching series 3 but I don't remember any of it!

I recommend Verity by Colleen Hoover so much, it's the most perfect balance of romance and thriller. it left me breathless in some places, is a bit steamy with the sex scenes and genuinely disturbed me beyond belief

i got it for free on prime reading! it was truly excellent and one of my favourite books i've ever read

Reactions: 5
I recommend Verity by Colleen Hoover so much, it's the most perfect balance of romance and thriller. it left me breathless in some places, is a bit steamy with the sex scenes and genuinely disturbed me beyond belief

i got it for free on prime reading! it was truly excellent and one of my favourite books i've ever read
It was truly gripping, I loved it and have Layla by the same author downloaded. Haven't read anything like it before, twisted, dark, engaging and left me reeling.

• Heart
Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes is a book I have read a few times and really enjoyed it. Not liked anything else by her though.

Just downloaded Verity so on a roll with the reading after years of not bothering!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've just finished The Unhoney Mooners by Christina Lauren. It was quite good, a romantic comedy. It was nice to have a break from my usual choice of thriller.

I've got Anything you do say by Gillian McAllister up next...i've had this book for a few years now on my shelf and haven't had the urge to pick it up and actually read it. I think I got it free with a newspaper or something. Anyone read it?

I've just finished The Unhoney Mooners by Christina Lauren. It was quite good, a romantic comedy. It was nice to have a break from my usual choice of thriller.

I've got Anything you do say by Gillian McAllister up next...i've had this book for a few years now on my shelf and haven't had the urge to pick it up and actually read it. I think I got it free with a newspaper or something. Anyone read it?
Yep I’ve read that, its still one of my favourite books of the past few years, I think she’s a great author. Hope you enjoy it!

I'm still reading the flight attendant 😩 it's not bad or anything but it just really hasn't gripped me and I don't want to abandon it so will try to plough through. It's been a week and I'm still only half way. This Verity book sounds intriguing though so might download that to give me some motivation to finish this one!

I'm still reading the flight attendant 😩 it's not bad or anything but it just really hasn't gripped me and I don't want to abandon it so will try to plough through. It's been a week and I'm still only half way. This Verity book sounds intriguing though so might download that to give me some motivation to finish this one!
I’m feeling the same about Followers. I’m only about 22% of the way through (despite starting it 4 days ago) and although the premise is interesting I’m just not grabbed in by it.

It’s so annoying when a book doesn’t excite you from the start - I’m not talking about major twists and turns from page one but it definitely has to make you want to read on.

Ok so I've just learned that there was a TV series of TV Ice Cream Girls and the ending may be different to the book. Is this true does anyone know?

Finished All the Lonely People last night. Was a bit disappointed with how it ended. Going to read “the minute I saw you” by Paige Toon next. Then I will have finished everything I have downloaded and be able to buy some more 🤣

Reactions: 3
I’m feeling the same about Followers. I’m only about 22% of the way through (despite starting it 4 days ago) and although the premise is interesting I’m just not grabbed in by it.

It’s so annoying when a book doesn’t excite you from the start - I’m not talking about major twists and turns from page one but it definitely has to make you want to read on.
Followers doesn't really get much better. I managed to finish it but it was a bit underwhelming.

Midnight Library review: not a bad book but does not live up to the hype. It won best book of last year on Goodreads so I was expecting something amazing and it wasn't. Its a nice, easy read but not a patch on How To Stop Time by the same author.

I took a week’s breather from this thread because I was downloading so many new books and I already had a right load which were languishing unread...

I should’ve known better - all that’s happened is I’ve spent a while catching up and made a big list of books to look up 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Followers doesn't really get much better. I managed to finish it but it was a bit underwhelming.

Midnight Library review: not a bad book but does not live up to the hype. It won best book of last year on Goodreads so I was expecting something amazing and it wasn't. Its a nice, easy read but not a patch on How To Stop Time by the same author.
Glad it wasn't just me with The Midnight Library!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.