Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone use a book subscription service? I keep getting ads for a box of stories and it looks quite good (about 15 per box for four books).
A few years ago I had a monthly book subscription from the Willoughby book club. I really enjoyed it because I ended up reading books that I wouldn’t have ordinarily picked out for myself. The books were always wrapped so nicely too!

Reactions: 1
I can recommend Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane,
not sure why it took me a while to realise how good it was, I wasn’t really feeling it until 1/2 nearly 3/4 way through, which could have just been my mood and the fact it was much less chick-litty than I’d expected going into it,
but that’s why I ended up enjoying it!

So much better than ‘if I never met you’ I’m glad to say, she’s improving as an author!
Her debut “you had me at hello” is one of my fav chick lits ever. I’ve been increasingly disappointed by each one since then so it’s good to know this one is better. I like her humour.

Reactions: 3
I've just finished the aftermath. Very very happy with how it ended and I even had a little cry. Oh and duck Daniel 😂 I definitely enjoyed reading it though, and it's not a book I'd have ever picked out for myself normally - this thread really is turning me into a bookworm 🤓

Not sure what to read next will browse my good reads list I've started!

• Heart
I’ve just finished The Midnight Library and I have to say I really loved it. I wasn’t even going to read it because I thought I wouldn’t like it but I’m so glad I decided to give it a go. I mean, it’s not the best book I’ve even read by any means but I really enjoyed it and found it heartwarming and uplifting. Now to decided what to read next 🤔

Reactions: 6
I've just finished the aftermath. Very very happy with how it ended and I even had a little cry. Oh and duck Daniel 😂 I definitely enjoyed reading it though, and it's not a book I'd have ever picked out for myself normally - this thread really is turning me into a bookworm 🤓

Not sure what to read next will browse my good reads list I've started!
Really happy you liked it!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m just finishing The Magpies series by Mark Edwards, on the final book now.

Not sure what my next read is going to be but it will be something on kindle unlimited, ending my free trial in less than 2 weeks so trying to cram in as poss 😌

Not sure what my next read is going to be but it will be something on kindle unlimited, ending my free trial in less than 2 weeks so trying to cram in as poss 😌
Download 10 books the day your trial ends, switch to Aeroplane mode and they'll all stay in your Kindle until you reconnect to WiFi.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Her debut “you had me at hello” is one of my fav chick lits ever. I’ve been increasingly disappointed by each one since then so it’s good to know this one is better. I like her humour.
Agree really loved this one. Is that the one she wrote the short story sequel to? I haven't read it have you?

Regarding series of books we've loved. I loved the Elena Ferrante series of books aka the Neapolitan Novels. The first one being My Brilliant Friend. Absolutely loved the whole series.
Just added this to my wishlist thank you!

Tina Seskis Hope Close. Its really good I loved her first 2 books When we were friends and One step too far omg that was excellent. Was surprised her book was in unlimited. I recommend her.

• Heart
I'm on my dystopian ban as it started messing with my head haha. I am currently reading If I had never met you and about 60% in. I'm finding myself really getting into it. I am hoping to finish this over the next couple of days. It is different to my last few reads and I am finding it quite refreshing.

Agree really loved this one. Is that the one she wrote the short story sequel to? I haven't read it have you?

Just added this to my wishlist thank you!
No I didn’t read it either, I didn’t it want to ruin the book! I never really like those follow up things

Tina Seskis Hope Close. Its really good I loved her first 2 books When we were friends and One step too far omg that was excellent. Was surprised her book was in unlimited. I recommend her.
Strangely I started When We Were Friends last week after having it on my shelf for about 5 years, I've never seen anything else about her. I gave up after 50 pages as I didn't like her writing style. Does it get better?

Strangely I started When We Were Friends last week after having it on my shelf for about 5 years, I've never seen anything else about her. I gave up after 50 pages as I didn't like her writing style. Does it get better?
I really liked it. I think though I was probably into it quite quickly I don't recall persevering. The only one of her books I didn't like was The Honeymoon. I normally love a travel/holiday location novel.

Currently 62% through cilka’s journey and I think I prefer it to the tattooist. Definitely going to have to take a break and read some easy fiction after this though 😂
Just finished it, I didn’t want it to end. I really loved it!! ❤

But I also read some articles online whereby survivors were talking terribly about it. 😩

I am reading the flight attendant about a quarter of the way through. It's alright so far, I do find the author uses lots of run on sentences so I have to keep re-reading them and I probably keep actively comparing it to the series which may not be a good thing.

I've finished If I had never met you by Mhairi Mcfarlane. It was refreshing compared to the end of the world/pandemic books I've been reading lately. I don't get the final chapter - felt a bit forced. But it did it's job at giving me a different genre to enjoy for a couple of days.

I'll have a look through and decide on my new book tomorrow. I haven't ordered my free prime book just yet so maybe one from there.

I've set my Kindle aside and picked up an actual book for the first time in over a year. I'm almost 50 pages in to The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson and am enjoying the story so far.

I've set my Kindle aside and picked up an actual book for the first time in over a year. I'm almost 50 pages in to The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson and am enjoying the story so far.
She is an interesting writer - I’ve read a few of hers including that one

I really like Dorothy Koomson. The sequel to The Ice Cream Girls came out last year, All My Lies are True. That's really good too

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.