Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im nearly finishing the chalet here today. Not bad , catherine cooper is the author.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone use a book subscription service? I keep getting ads for a box of stories and it looks quite good (about 15 per box for four books).

I've really enjoyed reading Carol Wyer's detective Natalie Ward series. Also for a light read with a good, and sometimes deeper story, The Chocolate Lovers series by Carole Matthews are up there with my favourites.

Rachel Abbott Tom douglas series is epic and I also enjoyed Helen Fields DI Callanach series although I did get bored of the will they /won't they story between the two leading detectives.

I can’t believe she’s had 20 books, some I’ve liked more than others but I don’t regret reading any of them!

the author I’m most disappointed with as time goes on is Sophie Kinsella.
I did love her shopaholic series, I even liked the Christmas one last year 😂 probably nostalgic reasons more than anything.
I liked the undomestic goddess enough to keep reading, 20st girl, they were easy reads, but her latest ones I just can’t get into and I don’t know if it’s just me, I also found her really early madeleine wickham books to be so different to what she eventually went on to write.
I worry lyndsey Kelk is following the same route for me 😫 the I Heart Series is one of my favourite series ever.

(actually what’s everyone’s favourite book series? The three that spring to mind for me without giving it much thought are the Emma Hearte/BTB books, the I heart series and strangely enough the Paige Toon Johnny Be Good series, but I’m sure there are more I just can’t think of right now.)
I know what you mean. I love the Shopaholic series up until the one with Minnie as a toddler - then I think Sophie lost the plot. I like the Undomestic Goddess, one called I think Can you keep a secret? and one or two others but she’s seriously gone down hill. I borrowed the audio book of one whose title I’ve forgotten and I lasted about an hour because it was about a seriously annoying girl called Fixie...!
There is a bit in one of the Shopaholic books where Rebecca goes shopping to cheer herself up, she keeps picking up more and more stuff but gradually realises she’s not getting that shot of pleasure any more because you can’t just shop yourself out of a bad mood....I often think of that in relation to some of the more grabby and materialistic instahuns.

Favourite series - very hard to choose but I would say the Lord of the Rings series including The Hobbit, The Harry Potter series and Jilly Cooper’s Rutshire Chronicles but not all of them. There are numerous crime series too but I should be here all day. ...

• Heart
Just had a look at the Johnny Be Good series and think I might have to give it a read. Sound like my kind of books😂
I loved them, I don’t know why i alw remember them 😭😭 can’t believe it was 10/11 years ago! I hope I haven’t bigged them up in my memory 😆 there are two, then a YA style one

I just finished The Aftermath - 4 out of 5 stars. I really warmed to the characters and wanted to know what happened to them as time went on. I think when I accepted that the book wasn’t an exciting, fast paced thriller type of story like I’d expected, I started to enjoy it a bit more. The second half felt much more interesting than the first half. Definitely a decent read, especially since it was free on First Reads!

Just downloaded The Last One at the Party as my next read after seeing it recommended here. Was 99p for the kindle edition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I can recommend Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane,
not sure why it took me a while to realise how good it was, I wasn’t really feeling it until 1/2 nearly 3/4 way through, which could have just been my mood and the fact it was much less chick-litty than I’d expected going into it,
but that’s why I ended up enjoying it!

So much better than ‘if I never met you’ I’m glad to say, she’s improving as an author!

Reactions: 4
I just finished The Aftermath - 4 out of 5 stars. I really warmed to the characters and wanted to know what happened to them as time went on. I think when I accepted that the book wasn’t an exciting, fast paced thriller type of story like I’d expected, I started to enjoy it a bit more. The second half felt much more interesting than the first half. Definitely a decent read, especially since it was free on First Reads!

Just downloaded The Last One at the Party as my next read after seeing it recommended here. Was 99p for the kindle edition.
The Aftermath, I am halfway through now and I find it comical what a pair of knob heads Julia and Daniel are 😂 I've seen a few people say you warm to the characters though and I am enjoying it but there have been a few "wtf" moments from me so far!

• Haha
I loved them, I don’t know why i alw remember them 😭😭 can’t believe it was 10/11 years ago! I hope I haven’t bigged them up in my memory 😆 there are two, then a YA style one
😂😂 they sound like my kind of guilty pleasure books! Got a couple to read before then but I have downloaded the first of the series ready so I don’t forget 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I can recommend Last Night by Mhairi McFarlane,
not sure why it took me a while to realise how good it was, I wasn’t really feeling it until 1/2 nearly 3/4 way through, which could have just been my mood and the fact it was much less chick-litty than I’d expected going into it,
but that’s why I ended up enjoying it!

So much better than ‘if I never met you’ I’m glad to say, she’s improving as an author!
I'm glad that you mentioned your mood in relation to reading. I've not read at all this past week because I'm just not in the right frame of mind. I'd usually lose myself in a book when I'm stressed or worried but I just can't seem to focus. Hopefully I'll be back to reading full swing again soon as I keep thinking about all those great books I've downloaded.

I'm glad that you mentioned your mood in relation to reading. I've not read at all this past week because I'm just not in the right frame of mind. I'd usually lose myself in a book when I'm stressed or worried but I just can't seem to focus. Hopefully I'll be back to reading full swing again soon as I keep thinking about all those great books I've downloaded.
I can’t edit but I also wanted to add that my mood affects the books I read. I don't think it would be fair to read anything unless I'm focused as it would be unfair to the author and I wouldn't be giving the book justice.

• Heart
The Aftermath, I am halfway through now and I find it comical what a pair of knob heads Julia and Daniel are 😂 I've seen a few people say you warm to the characters though and I am enjoying it but there have been a few "wtf" moments from me so far!
Oh I totally agree with you on Daniel but I did really start feeling for Julia the more the story went on. There’s a big reveal in the last quarter or so and it totally changed the way I saw the characters and their actions - one character in particular.

Im nearly finishing the chalet here today. Not bad , catherine cooper is the author.
i really loved this book!

Right i dont know what happened but i could NOT finish The other passenger by louise candlish for the life of me, it felt so slow and all the characters were completely unlikeable. i am only less than 100 pages from the end but i've put it back in my book cupboard and i really have no desire to know what happens

i've now started one by one by ruth ware, really enjoying it so far!

OMG YES!!! I sometimes find myself being really critical of a book other people have loved, that I know I’d usually love, but what’s going on in my life or how I’m feeling/how often I’m getting to read MASSIVELY effects how I feel about a book, if I’ve forced myself to read, I’m probably going to walk away feeling unsatisfied.

I need to be more aware of that rather than just dismissing the book as being bad, I’m realising that more and more since taking part in this thread actually!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
i really loved this book!

Right i dont know what happened but i could NOT finish The other passenger by louise candlish for the life of me, it felt so slow and all the characters were completely unlikeable. i am only less than 100 pages from the end but i've put it back in my book cupboard and i really have no desire to know what happens

i've now started one by one by ruth ware, really enjoying it so far!
The other passenger was mega slow, it did get better towards the end but the first 3/4 of the book was dull.

• Heart

Glad you enjoyed it 😊

I really want to read Erin Kelly Watch Her Fall but full price 😫 I’ll wait....

Regarding series of books we've loved. I loved the Elena Ferrante series of books aka the Neapolitan Novels. The first one being My Brilliant Friend. Absolutely loved the whole series.

Regarding series of books we've loved. I loved the Elena Ferrante series of books aka the Neapolitan Novels. The first one being My Brilliant Friend. Absolutely loved the whole series.
It was on sky last year. So so good.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.