Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lizziebrooks1235

I’ve hit a wall when it comes to reading. Im in a really bad reading slump and I have no idea what to do about it. Im currently reading Rebecca, but at the rate I’m going I’ll have it finished by next year 😅 I genuinely don’t feel motivated to pick it up, despite enjoying it when I do. I’m not sure if this is due to tiredness, uni work or what but I really don’t like it haha. Any advice?

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Oh you poor darling. You don’t have to answer but do you struggle with mental health? I lose all interest in all things when I’m in a low mood. And it’s been most of the last decade for me. For some reason I can still read (even if I don’t retain!) but have no interest in tv or film and I once loved both. Scrolling is the death of me. I keep deleting IG as I find it Sucks up my time and ignites my anxiety. But I always reinstall. This thread is a god send ♥
Oh yea I definitely struggle with my mental health - been a lifelong battle. I don’t think I’ve dipped far enough for me to think anything major is going on but just in a proper funk. Probably a good place to try and change things up a bit, like get outside and eat a bit better to see if that all perks me up and gets me back on track. I also think I need to delete TikTok - it’s the only social media I’m on and I’ve fallen too far into its grip this last few weeks.

• Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
i’m honestly pretty lucky with the space i have for books - it’s just me in my house and so i’ve been able to dedicate a lot of wall space to bookcases (god bless ikea 🙌🏻) - i don’t have a kindle and always buy physical books if i can. it is my sole aim to keep waterstones afloat 🤣

that being said, i am accepting that i might be purchasing a kindle in future - for holidays if nothing else. i can’t say i don’t approve because i absolutely buy books from amazon already!
It was a holiday that converted me to Kindle. Was very much a real book person and quite adamant that I would never switch to ebooks, then I borrowed my mums Kindle to save suitcase space on a trip to Spain and the rest is history! I read almost exclusively on my Kindle now.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I read Asking for It by Louise o'Neill today.

What an utterly hauntingly painful book to read. I feel like she spliced my heart open with a scalpel and stuck it all back together. What a book. Totally triggering so I'd read the blurb before reading it. But for such a terrible subject matter it was so beautifully and delicately written. By the time I was contemplating if I could read on I was already invested in finding out what happened to Emma in the end.

4* but gee, I cried like a baby.

• Heart

Libbylulu

VIP Member
This thread is a bad influence. Remarkable Bright Creatures didn’t interest me before, but I’ve been talked round….. 😊

• Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I think my mum singlehandedly keeps that Waterstones in business though. Our conversations go "Popped to Waitrose today but before that I went in Waterstones and....." Every single time. I know not everyone can afford a physical book and however we read is what we can do for ourselves. I'm just passionate about keeping our bookshops.
same 💙💙 i think, like with so many aspects of high street shopping, convenience trumps everything, which i completely get, but it would be a shame to lose the few bookshop chains we have left (so many seem to have already gone). like said above though, i do frequently buy from amazon myself so am also contributing to the problem a bit. it’s just so easy.

also, i think i’m your mum - only with swansea waterstones. if any of you are ever in that shop and see a blonde girl, it is me, come and say hi 🤣

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Really diverse mix! I’ve only read 3/5. I’d support Betty and Home fire but must say that the housemaid surprised me! The one by Freida McFadden?

I must read the secrets of strangers. Everyone here who’s read it has loved it.
I’ve read Betty and The Housemaid (by Frieda McFadden) and I rated them both 5 stars too. They’re not in the same league of literary quality but I could tell you much more about The Housemaid now than I could for Betty as the story was so exciting. I also raced through The Housemaid and its sequel in less than 24 hours as I was so gripped continuously. In fact if I had to pick which one I’d rate highest I’d go for The Housemaid as I found Betty quite slow in parts.

If I remember rightly The Housemaid was a book club pick on here and was loved by a lot of the club, liked by some and a few found it alright.

What I usually like most about this thread is the lack of judgement we all have of what we read, like and dislike. What is the best book ever to one person might be utter trash to another but we’re all different. Also I find sometimes I’ll read a book one day and think it’s utter drivel but then go back to it in a different mood and it’ll feel like a whole different book.

• Heart

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
I've just finished the 3rd Throne of Glass book. How did you find the 2nd? I found Heir of Fire a lot more engaging than the first two so hopefully the series will continue like that!
I've only read the first one so far but I heard from the Internet that ToG starts getting really good at the third book, which bodes well as I really liked the first!

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre and I just have to accept I'm too basic for classics. Like, it's fine, I get why it's good and important, I'm just also kind of bored and wish Mr Rochester was a sexy fae.

• Haha
  • Heart

grimupnorth234

Just finished Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and Tomorrow after a recommendation on here a couple of threads back. Not my usual cup of tea but had me hooked all the way through.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Im still here reading 4 books at once. Trying to finish Conversation with Friends on audio before tomorrow as I have a borrowbox audiobook available then. The struggle is real 🤣

Ive been off work as the schools are off and I thought Id have got a lot more reading done but it hasnt worked out that way.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Omg I am a holy disgrace. Lived and worked in Dublin most of my adult life and never visited Trinity college library.
i went a few years back and FULLY prepared to go to trinity but only got as close as a bar opposite 🤣 too much shopping and drinking to make it to the library!

i finished again, rachel by marian keyes yesterday after absolutely flying through it. enjoyed it far more than rachel’s holiday, initially gave it four stars but downgraded to three when i woke up this morning.

just about to finally start pachinko (and collect my amazon order of three more books oops. i blame you lovely people)

• Heart
  • Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I have read 6 5* books so far this year, and I am really stingy with my ratings.

The Secrets of Strangers 5*

Betty 5*

The Housemaid 5*

You're The Only One I've Told, The Stories Behind Abortion 5*

Boys Don't Cry 5*

Home Fire 5*

• Heart

twilightgarden

VIP Member
Fingers crossed my meds are working and I can actually sit and get lost in a book now. I’ve missed reading so much. 😔
I’ve started The Measure by Nikki Erlick, has anyone read it? Interesting premise so far.
IMG_6279.jpeg

• Heart

epl000

VIP Member
Our plans were derailed this weekend as my husband came home from a work trip with Covid (after avoiding it for three years, literally the first time either of us has had it!). But it meant that we had an excuse to stay at home and plenty of reading was done, as well as finishing the Unlawful Killings audiobook whilst I repainted the bathroom 💪

I devoured Stanley Tucci - Taste which was excellent as I expected it to be. Not one to read while you're hungry but a really well put together memoir. I also finished The Last Party by Clare Mackintosh which was quite good, I liked the characters and think its the first of a series? Then yesterday ploughed through most of The People Next Door by Tony Parsons. A relatively easy read thriller, but not my fave. Overall a long weekend well spent.

• Heart

slugella

VIP Member
I ordered the first four Princess Diaries books in a boxed set from World of Books as I'm feeling nostalgic and they arrived today. So excited to read them 😂

• Heart