Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

killtheold

i always lose the books threads when a new one starts and then i find it again 23 pages in. so then i read all 23 pages and inevitably buy about 10 books on kindle. you bunch of witches.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Elle

VIP Member
Guys, girls and non binary pals!

I'm so excited because I've been wanting to read some Elena Ferrante for ages and have My Beautiful Friend (book one of a series) waiting on my book shelf.

What should I find in the charity shop today? Books 2, 3 and 4 all 50p each?!!!! I'm so happy. Be happy for me

• Heart
Reactions: 22

061wan

After much resistance I’ve finally caved and got a Kindle.

The first book I downloaded was none other than The Housemaid so I guess I’m with this thread for the long haul now!

• Heart
Reactions: 21

Elle

VIP Member
Hi everyone.

This is very much my vibe at the moment:

Screenshot_20230418_153505_Instagram.jpg

Reading *very slowly* Wrong Place, Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister. Solid thriller with an interesting premise. Keen to see what happens. (My slow reading isn't a reflection of the book. I'm just Tired).

Feel very out of the loop with this thread but you're all in my thoughts (weird vibe but ok)!

• Haha
  • Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
As soon as Daisy Darker was our Tattle book club choice I used some of my book token to order this edition (from an indie book shop. I know a 99p read is all that is accessible for some people and I get that. But those 8 99p books this month, that you will never read and delete in a year? Could be one indie book from your local high street that you will read and adore. I am so scared one day we will have a whole generation who won't know a bookshop in the same way we now have people who don't know Woolworths, just sayin')

20230502_162921.jpg

Why am I such a sucker for a sprayed edge? It is written in a lovely font as well. Need to finish my current read then get on with this.

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I’m so out of love with reading at the minute and it’s driving me mad. But then I think I’ve fallen in a funk with everything - I don’t fancy watching anything or listening to anything. I’m just favouring quiet and endless scrolling. I’ve started so many books, films and tv shows in the last month and never seem to get past the first 10% or 20 mins.

Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things soon.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20

aidil

VIP Member
and i’ve just added it to my amazon order 🤣💙 looks really interesting - let me know what you think!
Ooh aidil x blonde book club incoming! 🤣💜 The premise sounds right up my street! Also I’m a sucker for a pretty cover like this one…!

Kittens!!!!!! Oh I’m so sorry to derail but please pics please
1682935657787.jpeg

1682935733600.jpeg

1682935794094.jpeg

1682935842369.jpeg

They’re cute but god I’m missing my reading time so bad 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 19

swoopyloopy

My 18 year old daughter has written a novel. It’s about an alcoholic robot and is something a bit different. She is ASD and loves writing. She published it on Amazon as an A level project.
(I think it’s quite good)
It’s on Amazon and is free for kindle if anyone fancies giving it a go.
It’s called “The testimony of Micah Jones”.
She would just love people to read it. She’s currently writing her 2nd novel.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Carapop

VIP Member
I’m currently reading Normal People by Sally Rooney. I’m over halfway through and I’m really enjoying it so far. Sorry I’ve been inactive. I’ve been super busy. I got a couple of books for my birthday that I want to read next. However, I’ve come across a book called Hooked by Emily Mcintire, which is a dark romance retelling of Peter Pan. I read a little extract and I really enjoyed it. Thing is, I’m not sure if I want to read it because I have never read a dark romance before and I don’t know if I’ll be judged for it? Yet after I had finished the extract, I wanted to read more 😂😂 has anyone here read dark romance books? If so, would you recommend that I read them?
Judged by whom?!?! If you enjoy, then you enjoy. That ain’t no one else’s business. And you certainly won’t encounter any shade throwing here.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Reading is like taking a holiday in my head. A good book, even a gritty crime novel, can transport me to its location and I get lost in the imagery.

That is why I am a strict dnf'er. At 60 pages if I'm not in the scenery of the book then I won't be by page 134. So I quit. Life is too short to persist with bad books when there are so many other lovely books out there.

Carapop

VIP Member
Went into a Cancer Research Charity Shop, got 12 books for £3. 🤭🤭 But £3, it's nothing, it was coins from the shrapnel jar so it doesn't even count as spending proper money. That jar doesn't count for me.

Got Glitterland by Alexis Hall which has been on my list for ages, loved Boyfriend and Husband Material.

Also got 11 M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin books.

At 25p each I couldn't leave them on the shelf, they wouldn't be there next time I went.
To be fair, it was a charitable donation. You just happened to get free books out of it. You’re clearing space from their shelves. Doing them a favour.

Reactions: 17