Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I've just finished A Little Life.

It took me ages to get into it. Between beginning of March until last week, I'd only read 18%, then suddenly I couldn't put it down and finished the rest within about 5 days.

I can't process it right now but as heartbreaking as it is, it is also beautiful. I liked the shifting timelines and different perspectives.

I can't wait to see how they've adapted it for stage. I know I'll be crying ugly tears 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Carapop

VIP Member
I just read Impossible (or The Impossible Us, it seems to go by two names) by Sarah Lolz in the space of about 18 hours. Absolutely not my genre, even less so once some time traveling-ish bits starting happening but it was an intriguing, fun book that kept me guessing right up until the end.
Imagine growing up with that surname in the social media age!

oh it’s Lotz! 😂😂😂

I was intrigued, went to check out the price, saw I already bought it last year, Fabliss… but wait…
IMG_8161.jpeg

Zero recollection.

• Haha

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I read 19 books this month, 7,500 and something pages.

Home Fire and The Prison Doctor: Women Inside were stand out books.

• Wow
  • Heart

nbt

VIP Member
Audible have now offered me four months half price 😏

I wonder if I ignore it, they’ll offer me an even better deal?

I love how I’m pretending this is an option when I know later on I’m going to accept it like, “yes please take me back I have no self respect” 😅

• Haha

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Who bought Happy Place because it was only £8.49 and was a lovely cover despite the fact they didnt like the one other Emily Henry book theyve read.

🙋‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 12

slugella

VIP Member
Just started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, enjoying it very much. I would have continued to read it last night but my cat hates having the light on (i know, she’s spoilt 😂) so I grabbed the kindle and started reading Daisy Darker. Stayed up far too late reading it but it’s fantastic so far!
This has proper tickled me 😂 😂 😂 I thought my cat was a diva but this might beat her! Love to see a cat spoilt as they deserve 🐈

• Heart

capriallie

VIP Member
I have unfortunately lost a lot of valuable reading time recently because I have been bingeing married at first sight

• Haha

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Went into a Cancer Research Charity Shop, got 12 books for £3. 🤭🤭 But £3, it's nothing, it was coins from the shrapnel jar so it doesn't even count as spending proper money. That jar doesn't count for me.

Got Glitterland by Alexis Hall which has been on my list for ages, loved Boyfriend and Husband Material.

Also got 11 M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin books.

At 25p each I couldn't leave them on the shelf, they wouldn't be there next time I went.

boopthatnose

Chatty Member
I think I'm actually going to try this...
I did this, accidentally on purpose during the original set of lockdowns. I really got back into reading at that time and decided I was just going to work my way through my bookcase/TBR only, no exceptions. Did the whole lot, and felt so smug about it.

A couple of years (or so) later I'm back to where I started, books coming out of my ears and just having a quick look buying several in the charity shop whenever I pass one. I'm not sure I've got it in me to start it again :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

SaintLeo

VIP Member
Opened up the case on my Kindle earlier and it’s so old and battered that the magnet on the clasp has come loose and is falling out. First thought - may as well just buy a new Kindle then!

I’ve since had a word with myself and just ordered a new case but the thought is in my brain now! 🙈

• Haha

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I sadly prefer a digital book but I do buy physical copies of books which look nice on my book shelf 😁

I just like to read in the dark so digital is easier 🤭

My dream is to have a spare room with only book shelves and have a physical copy of every book Ive ever read. Even if I listened on audio or read it on kindle. Maybe once my kids move out (although is that a dream these days 😂 )

• Heart

Carapop

VIP Member
I was going to spoil myself for my birthday and get a full price kindle read from my wish list but I just can’t bring myself to do it THREE DAYS from new monthly deals! 😂

Hasn’t this been the quickest month?!

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Ive averaged about 9 books a month this year. I walk my dogs for an hour at least a day and at times can listen to my audio books all day at work. Depends what my work is like that week. This really helps bump my numbers up.

41% of my books this year so far have been audio according to Storygraph.

I do have a partner and kids but often ignore them because my head or ears are in a book 🙊

My kids are not babies or toddlers so it does help. To those with young kids you will find more time to read. I do find in a modern world I really need to be strict with my phone, many a night Ill get into bed and make the mistake of opening my phone first and 30 minutes of potential reading time is lost with doom scrolling ☹
That's the thing, it is key to not start scrolling on your phone otherwise you have lost a good chunk of reading time. I try very hard to not pick my phone up once I am in bed. Easier said than done when you think "I'll just look that up quickly....."

SwizzleMalarkey

VIP Member
Just finished an advanced copy of Yellowface by Rebecca Kuang. I actually had to double check it was by the same author who wrote Babel and it is, I was so surprised! Such a different style!
A really enjoyable, quick paced, satirical and darkly comedic literary thriller told by an unreliable narrator. Tackles a lot of complex subjects but so deftly done and doesn’t hold any punches about the publishing industry. 👀 Would recommend when it’s out next month!

nbt

VIP Member
Not the best month for me either. Mainly 3 stars for me this month but The Appeal, The Babysitter and The Family at No 12 were all 4 stars.

49D4D894-F002-4837-B033-52970656111A.jpeg

Reactions: 11

mindlessness

VIP Member
I use reading to measure my mental health. There was a time when I couldn’t absorb the simplest sentence due to foggy and muddled brain. If I feel nothing is pulling me in I look at where I am with everything else and try addressing things before I fall down a hole. When I feel a bit clearer I start back with easy, feel good books - The People on Platform 5, The Lovestory of Missy Carmichael etc. I hope you feel better soon xxx
I do the same thing! When I was depressed it was always a marker for where I was up to, and helped me communicate with my Psychiatrist about where I was at too. It's really fucking hard dealing with depression and anxiety and other mental health stuff, so if any tattlers are struggling know you are not alone, and that there is hope. ❤

I buy mostly physical books. But I really like my Kindle for KU stuff, and then occasionally the monthly deals.

• Heart
Reactions: 11