Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Looks like all of Barbara Kingsolver's books are on sale for kindle. Is anyone here a fan? I've had The Poisonwood Bible in hardcover for ages but not read šŸ˜…

Picked up the Light on Farallon Island. I've always found lighthouses sort of fascinating (and also enjoy historical fiction). Golden Hills and The Silent Bride also looked good, it was hard to choose!
I picked We Can Be Heroes: A Survivor's Story.

there were three I wanted but chose this is the end.

Reactions: 1
Looks like all of Barbara Kingsolver's books are on sale for kindle. Is anyone here a fan? I've had The Poisonwood Bible in hardcover for ages but not read šŸ˜…
i loved the lacuna, but have struggled with the other two books of hers iā€™ve read (the poisonwood bible and one that i genuinely donā€™t remember the name of!) - i find her writing style very dry, but all the things that bother me were somehow missing from the lacuna!

Reactions: 2
Looks like all of Barbara Kingsolver's books are on sale for kindle. Is anyone here a fan? I've had The Poisonwood Bible in hardcover for ages but not read
I read The Poisonwood Bible this month. I enjoyed it but it was a slow read. Very character driven and it felt like not much happens for the first 2/3 of the book. I actually enjoyed the final chapters the most because it seems to pick up pace and move the characters on but when Iā€™ve read reviews on Goodreads and Amazon I seem to be in the minority with that view!

Glad I read it, it is very well written and the characters are really well developed. The setting of remote Africa was also new to me so found that interesting. I wouldnā€™t gush over it like other people do though. It was 3.5 star read for me.

Reactions: 5
I picked We Can Be Heroes: A Survivor's Story.

there were three I wanted but chose this is the end.
This was mine too. Someone on Instagram raved about it last week so Iā€™m chuffed itā€™s on the list.

Not sure if it's @Caffeine Fiend's influence but I've decided I want to read Beartown.

I wasn't blown away by Anxious People and Ove but Beartown seems like it might be different. I do like character driven books.

I didn't realise it was book one of a three book series. Have you read the other two @Caffeine Fiend? Us Against You and The Winners.

All three are very highly rated on Goodreads.
I also was a bit meh about Anxious People and A Man Called Ove but loved Beartown and Us Against You - both 5*'s for me.

I have also read the third, The Winners, but didn't love it and was so disappointed as I was waiting so long for it and preordered it, for it to feel like a slog to read. It didn't spoil the trilogy for me but I don't think it was needed - it felt like it was written because of the love of the other two books rather than there being a need to continue the story. I swear I remember the author even saying he never planned a third but I could be wrong! It also could have done with a better edit as it was way longer than it needed to be.

It does have overwhelmingly good reviews though so could be a me problem! I agree with a lot of the 3* comments on Goodreads/Storygraph. I won't go more into why I don't like it though as don't want to add any spoilers and would definitely still recommend reading the trilogy as like I say the reviews are very positive so still a chance you'll love the third. :giggle:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've just finished After I Do by TJR which I really enjoyed, probably my favourite of her books. My first book of May is Remarkably Bright Creatures after seeing it talked about on here.

Reactions: 9
Kittens! šŸ„° My cat is poorly today šŸ˜”

Iā€™ve been very good, havenā€™t bought a single book! Iā€™m determined to get through my physical TBR šŸ˜‚

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Ten of my wishlist went down to 99p today!

I'm currently reading Things We Never Got Over. Not only is it awful, with the most insufferable and unfanciable MMC, but it's about eleventy thousand pages long for a romance?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Iā€™ve got a few on my to read list

- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Idol by Louise Oā€™Neill
- Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owenā€™s (late to the game with this one)
- How To Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie (havenā€™t heard great things)
- Magpie by Elizabeth Day

Currently reading Freckles by Cecelia Ahern (not really that impressed) and my next read is The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman which Iā€™ve been waiting ages to read and just havenā€™t gotten around to it.

Parking myself here for any recommendations šŸ’•

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ten of my wishlist went down to 99p today!

I'm currently reading Things We Never Got Over. Not only is it awful, with the most insufferable and unfanciable MMC, but it's about eleventy thousand pages long for a romance?
I thought it was way too long too. I dont mind long books (Im gonna be reading Pucking Around this month which is 700+) but this was too long.

I do want to read the sequel but its also almost 600 pages Im sure. šŸ˜¬

Finally got a chance to sit down & have a browse through the recommendations. Thank you so much to who mentioned Are You There God? It's Me Margaret was in the sale. I loved the audio book as a kid although the usage of sanitary belts left 8 year old Biscuits very confused šŸ˜‚ I'll probably be heading on a solo cinema date when the film comes out later this month. Any other Tattler book fans going to see the film?

I also purchased:

-The Whalebone Theatre (thanks @LaBlonde for your endorsement!)
- Acts of Desperation
- Her Majesty's Royal Coven after a friend raved about it to me.

Swithering over Tell Me Lies as the blurb says it's a similar style to Coleen Hoover, which doesn't entice me. Anyone care to make a case before midnight? šŸ˜Š

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Finally got a chance to sit down & have a browse through the recommendations. Thank you so much to who mentioned Are You There God? It's Me Margaret was in the sale. I loved the audio book as a kid although the usage of sanitary belts left 8 year old Biscuits very confused šŸ˜‚ I'll probably be heading on a solo cinema date when the film comes out later this month. Any other Tattler book fans going to see the film?
I'm so excited to go! I'm going with some friends but I do love a solo cinema date ā¤

• Heart

I also purchased:

-The Whalebone Theatre (thanks @LaBlonde for your endorsement!)
- Acts of Desperation
- Her Majesty's Royal Coven after a friend raved about it to me.

Swithering over Tell Me Lies as the blurb says it's a similar style to Coleen Hoover, which doesn't entice me. Anyone care to make a case before midnight? šŸ˜Š
It was me that mentioned Margaret. One of my earliest memories is reading Judy Blume books so was super excited to see there was a movie coming.

I was torn over Tell Me Lies. The Amazon reviews put me off but then I saw a book Instagram account that had rated it highly so it's back on the list but I've not purchased it.
---
I'm so excited to go! I'm going with some friends but I do love a solo cinema date ā¤
I'd never been to cinema alone until recently. I really wanted to see Prima Facie but nobody could go with me so I put my big girl pants on and went - I'm a convert.

It's going to be my new summer thing after work so I can take advantage of air con!

• Heart
It was me that mentioned Margaret. One of my earliest memories is reading Judy Blume books so was super excited to see there was a movie coming.
I loved Judy Blume too. Her books seemed so grown up because of the issues they were dealing with. Forever is the standout one for me though. There was a copy that was passed round my group of friends with lots of dog eared pages to mark the ā€œsexyā€ bits!

I feel I'm going on a Judy Blume hunt later and adding all her books to my wishlist ā˜ŗ

I loved Summer Sisters - read it multiple times in my teens and always cried and laughed.

I dont think ive read Forever - will add both books to my wish list now!

Oh my goodness you are all such good readers! I do well to finish 1 book a month šŸ¤£

Iā€™ve just finished reading ā€˜Bunnyā€™ by Mona Awad. Has anyone else read it? Seriously WTF have I just read? I canā€™t tell if it was genius or terrible? I also have a few theories about it

So I figured out quite early on that Ava wasnā€™t real. But my theory is that Samantha is actual in a mental institution and her tutors are therapist and the bunnies are other patients or possibly nurses (since they keep giving her tablets).

Iā€™m currently reading Stacey Hallā€™s ā€˜Mrs Englandā€™. I loved loved loved ā€˜The Familiarsā€™ but found ā€˜The Foundlingā€™ so so. So Iā€™m not sure what to expect from this one.

I did not get on with Book Lovers but Ive read over 100 pages of Happy Place today and its much better.

I really didn't like Nora or Charlie or Noras sister tbh. Harriet and Wyn are much better so far šŸ˜Š

Reactions: 7
Oh my goodness you are all such good readers! I do well to finish 1 book a month šŸ¤£

Iā€™ve just finished reading ā€˜Bunnyā€™ by Mona Awad. Has anyone else read it? Seriously WTF have I just read? I canā€™t tell if it was genius or terrible? I also have a few theories about it

So I figured out quite early on that Ava wasnā€™t real. But my theory is that Samantha is actual in a mental institution and her tutors are therapist and the bunnies are other patients or possibly nurses (since they keep giving her tablets).
I DNF'd it as just couldn't get into it but your theory is interesting, kinda makes me want to try again and think of it from your perspective.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.