Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

nbt

VIP Member
I read a book within the last few months where a character suddenly had a change of name for one page only. I thought I was going mad and hadn’t been concentrating!

Another annoyance (which isn’t book specific tbf) is when two characters are in a restaurant and one of them orders for them both without asking what they want 😅 I would hate that in real life!

• Haha
Reactions: 14

lizziebrooks1235

Also hello! I’m new here, but I’m so glad I’ve found a community of book lovers. I’ve been an avid reader since I was a child and I’m still loving reading. I read 36 books last year! Don’t ask! My house is like a library haha. I’ve currently read 3 books this year (The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark, and Driftwood by Cathy Cassidy). For this year I’m going to take my time reading books as I have felt that the past few years I’ve been mostly speed reading haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I know paperbacks take up too much space, however I love them 😂😂 I like kindles, but I don’t like how bright the screens are, and I don’t like staring at screens for a long time. I’ve tried audiobooks but I find I can’t concentrate as much; but I totally get why people like them. ☺
I always completely dismissed Kindles and couldn’t imagine not reading proper books but I bought a Kindle Paperwhite on a whim last year (completely influenced by this thread) and I am obsessed with it! I ALWAYS have it in dark mode with the brightness right down (usually between 4-6 out of a possible 25) and I love it. I find most screens too bright and I’m forever turning the brightness down on my phone but the dark mode on the Kindle makes it so much more accessible. Can totally recommend.

I always loved the idea of having a library in my house and built up quite a collection of books. Nowadays I probably only have about 15 paperbacks (though what feels like about 1000 picture books in my son’s room) as I just use my Kindle. I feel so less cluttered and have actually read so much more in the last couple years since I moved to a Kindle than I ever have!

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Makes me feel better that others are in the same boat. I just have no motivation to read either which isnt like me.

• Sad
  • Heart

fudgebox

VIP Member
I absolutely love my kindle, I actually can’t stand reading a proper book now I prefer my kindle😆 I love taking it to work, reading at night when hubs is asleep, buying books for 99p🤩

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
I found this template in a Facebook group I’m in and am going to start filling it in monthly and see what comes out as my best of the year. Just popping it here incase anyone else wants to 😊

1677681762032.jpeg

can’t believe the kindle deals still aren’t working!! usually the highlight of my 1st of the month 😂 I’ve bought 3 so far but just not enough

• Heart

gossipgal21

VIP Member
Just popping myself in here! Had a baby 15 months ago, the last 2 months I’ve finally had brain space / some actual time to read again! 😬

My last two reads were All My Mothers by Joanna Glen and Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell (found this a bit disappointing).

Currently reading The Road Trip by Beth O’Leary as I enjoyed The Flat Share and needed a bit of a lighter one this time. So far so enjoyable 👍🏻

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
202AD44A-DCBE-431B-942D-D561E8598FD0.jpeg

I had a very good month this month! Enjoyed most of the books I read and got more into audiobooks, happy with that 😊 another two ticked off my A-Z and halfway through another.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I just saw that this book is on Kindle 99p. I think every woman should read it. It is devastating, frustrating and all our healthcare experiences rolled into one.

Unwell Women, A Journey Through Medicine and Myth in a Man-Made World

Amazon product

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
If li'd just like to say that since my January 16th blip I have not bought any books this year. Not a single one.

I don't know what is wrong with me.

• Heart
  • Wow

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I finished Becoming - Michelle Obama on audible today.

It is my first 5 star this year. I put it off for so long because of the length. Its probably the oldest book on audible that I hadnt listened to. I loved it. I found it such an emotional listen. I cried quite a few times listening to it. I dont think its written to be emotional but I really found myself welling up several times.

She was a great narrator too.

• Heart

AllieBee

VIP Member
Have been to the library for the first time in forever today! Also bought a couple of books in Waterstones - Lessons In Chemistry and Mothers Boy, and picked up Girl A in a charity shop. I'm so bad I have so many books to read on my kindle but I just can't stop getting more!

AllieBee

VIP Member
Ooh didn't know this thread existed till I saw someone mention it on the Hinch thread! I've not read properly for ages, always read religiously every night before sleep but I've lost my way! I started again last night with a book called Sing Me To Sleep, have a feeling its going to be a bit dark but not got far yet! Next up will be an autobiography called Dreams From My Mother by Elizabeth Anionwu, bought it after meeting her about 18 months ago and never even picked it up!

cherrymoon

Chatty Member
I haven’t read anything since finishing The Housemaid last week. Moved house on Tuesday so that’s taken up a lot of my time, then caught a stomach bug which has completely wiped me out. And I am feeling quite home sick ☹

• Sad
  • Heart

biscuitthief

Just bought Trespasses. It's 99p on Kindle. Thanks guys! It looks amazing
Me too! This thread is the reason my TBR keeps getting longer and longer.

I don't mind though :) this thread has reignited my love for reading! I'm currently on the first of the Seven Sisters series by Lucinda Riley which I am loving so far :D

• Heart

docmum

VIP Member
Love Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Really great writing.

I actually don’t mind a bit of Dickens 😅 if you see his books as more like newspaper serials / almost like comics - they are very exaggerated characters. I enjoy the TV adaptations more though, as they’re less of a slog. BBC’s Bleak House was great and obviously the greatest adaptation of all time - Muppets Christmas Carol 🙌🏻

I studied literature at uni and never really got on with American literature for some reason. I don’t love a lot of the typical classics either. Absolutely hated Wuthering Heights 😅 but I will have to give some of the recommendations in this thread a go!

Not just with classics but I find any book that’s been massively hyped up either in the media or by people, I tend not to enjoy. Not on purpose like I’m trying to be cool or anything, I just find some books get a lot of money / promotion thrown at them for whatever reason but the quality of the writing just isn’t there for me.
rebecca was the start of my post-school classic dip and I loved it too, CoHo reminds me a little bit of this.
This thread is a brilliant terrible influence on me. Been in bed with the lurgy all weekend so ventured out today for some tablets since feeling more human and hopefully not infective to the world. My local high street is a 5 minute walk and happens to have a Waterstones so I’m now home and all dosed up, and starting the new Janice Hallett. I’ve gone from reading hardly anything in a year, to speeding through the housemaid, buying KU and finishing 3 more books, and now with a beautiful hardback on my lap. You’re simply the best medicine I’ve had in two years. Bliss.

• Heart
Reactions: 12