Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

capriallie

VIP Member
I lent Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow to a colleague and there is a tea or coffee stain on the front cover. I’m heartbroken as it’s my favourite cover ever and I paid full price in Waterstones for the hardback 🤣

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 31

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I feel embarrassed about getting excited for the housemaid sequel today now after the last two posts 🤣
Please don't ❤ this thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.

Everyone is welcome here 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Mamacita

VIP Member
I thought I already live in the future using my kindle, but finding out people live in the year 3000 with their page turners has blown my mind. Here goes my plan not to spend money 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 24

nbt

VIP Member
Thank you to whoever it was that said you can change the speed on audible, I have just blitz through 2 hours of Matthew Perrys book with just under an hour to go, after slogging through most of it on x1 speed 😆
Could I BE talking any faster?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

Elle

VIP Member
yes i do have the cushion, which helps with neck, but holding the book open is exhausting 🤣 there are those things you can use to hold the pages open but i am a fast reader so can’t be bothered with the faff.

im making myself sound ancient 🤣 i’m only 37!
I, through sheer laziness might I say, have been using a kindle holder and kindle page turner.

Picture this, your anonymous friend Elle wrapped up in a blanket cocoon not having to either hold her kindle nor turn the pages.

I wouldn't have bought this for myself but I was gifted it but someone who knew i wanted it.

If you haven't seen such a thing, the page turner clips onto your kindle and manually clicks the page when you press the button of your special handhold device.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I’ve finally done it and ordered a new Kindle! 🤩Mine is having serious battery issues so I have traded it in. Amazon do a good scheme where you get a trade in gift card plus 20% off a new Kindle.
I have a lot of trips coming up and a kindle with a dodgy battery would be very upsetting. So excited to play with it, how sad am I 😆

Reactions: 21

Ilaariaa

VIP Member
I've been re-reading the Harry Potter series for the first time since I was like 14 and I'm halfway through Deathly Hallows and oh my God. I forgot it was this good.
At this point in the series you're so attached to Harry as a character and everyone else that you're completely invested and absorbed by what's happening. There's a very real risk that once I finish this I immediately start reading it again.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

docmum

VIP Member
Ooh didn't know this thread existed till I saw someone mention it on the Hinch thread! I've not read properly for ages, always read religiously every night before sleep but I've lost my way! I started again last night with a book called Sing Me To Sleep, have a feeling its going to be a bit dark but not got far yet! Next up will be an autobiography called Dreams From My Mother by Elizabeth Anionwu, bought it after meeting her about 18 months ago and never even picked it up!
😃 glad you came across! This thread is the total opposite to hinch, but so relaxing and gives lots of motivation to get off tattle and forget the world in a book!

@ordinaryjelly and @tam THANK YOU so much for the suggestions re book shops in Bath. I’m only just winding down from the day. I went to mr e’s emporium first and just got lost in the magic of the twists and turns.. loved their quirky selections that I hadn’t heard of or seen in my local Waterstones. Dockid was very happy in the beautiful kids section too. Didn’t really consider toppings too much after that as I didn’t think it could be beaten but wow. Had a little wander down later in the day and have found my favourite bookshop in the entire world. A sofa for dockid and his dad to sit away from me so I could browse alone 🥰 and they had a whole room tucked away with detective fiction. Plus the ladders. And their covered signed first edition hardbacks were everywhere too! Only downside was that there were a lot of tourists who made browsing irritating at times so I’m planning a trip back on my own, on a week day with an empty suitcase and a week off afterwards ☺

this thread is just wonderful.

085DEB3B-6BCD-4E02-9BDA-9AC49BC2FAE3.jpeg

---
I finally got around to reading The Thursday Murder Club today. Had it on the TBR list for a while, but kept putting it off.

Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. Liked the characters, but felt there were just a bit too many to have to remember who they all were (side characters rather than the main ones) and there were a lot of convenient plot points which felt very unrealistic.

Have the next 2 to read already as someone gave them to me in hardback, so will give them a go and hope they improve for me. Wondering if book one was really about setting the characters up and perhaps the others will be more interesting but its only a 3 star for me I think.
I felt exactly the same as you about the first one. A few family members were raving about it but I felt that I kept having to look back as i couldn’t remember which character was which, there seemed to be just too many. On a positive note, the second is much better and the characters take on much more personality and develop so that they’re identifiable and actually I became quite fond of them. I flew through the second. I have the third but it’s in the tbr pile.
Saw interesting interview with him saying he was writing the fourth and then plans to pause the series. He’s moving over to write a father-daughter private detective agency series (sounded a little like R Galbraith). They are currently casting for the first TMC film and is a good conversation point for those that have enjoyed/read them. (I could see Joanna Lumley as Elizabeth, and Julie walters as Joyce.)
Apologies for super long post.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I read a mix, always a physical book at home. But I always carry my Kindle with me to hospital and given I have spent 481 days of the last 599 in hospital the Kindle has been used a lot. I'd need my own bookcase beside my NHS bed otherwise and not sure they are approved!

I do prefer a physical book, the whole act of going and buying a book (which is a different past-time to actually reading a book,) the feel of the pages, the creaky spine, turning the pages... and the smell. Nothing compares to a paperback.

Room for both in my world.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Love how active this thread has become with our new friendly bookworms. 📚

My reading mojo got up and left over the weekend. No reading at all

I am about to start Whisky from Small Glasses by Denzil Meyrick, it is the first book in an eleven book detective/thriller series that my mum recommended. My mum rarely lets me down with recommendations so I have high hopes. Has anyone read these books?

• Heart
Reactions: 19

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I don't know if this is a thing everywhere but I'd never seen it before but I went to a Waterstones with a cocktail happy hour! It's my dream place!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 18

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Women's Prize Longlist is being unveiled at 6pm! More books for the TBR 📚
Glory by Noviolet Bulawayo

Homesick by Jennifer Croft - this is on tbr already.

Fire Rush by Jacqueline Crooks

Children of Paradise by Camilla Grudova

Stone Blind by Natalie Haynes

Trespasses by Louise Kennedy (this is amazing, if you only read one book from this list make it this one!)

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingslover (am intrigued by this one)

Cursed Bread by Sophie Mackintosh

The Dog of the North by Elizabeth McKenzie (this one looks fun)

Black Butterflies by Priscilla Morris (want to read this one)

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell

I'm a Fan by Sheena Patel

Pod by Laline Paull

Wandering Souls by Cecile Pin (another for the tbr)

The Bandit Queens by Parini Shroff

Memphis by Tara M. Stringfellow

• Heart
Reactions: 18