Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
That sounds like absolute perfection! :love:
I don't think I explained it very well in my excitement to share 🤣

But it's the normal cafe where you can get get food, soft drinks etc but they also do cocktails and happy hour (3 hours of it!) 4 nights a week.

I like to go out and I like cocktails but I don't like noisy, over crowded bars anymore so this is perfect - flicking through books, with an espresso martini, and home at a reasonable hour.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

Carapop

VIP Member
I return them all the time. Not all ones that I’ve bought but definitely a couple every month.
I got an email from Amazon acknowledging my tendency to return kindle books and recommending I try getting samples before purchasing in future 😂

• Haha

PiesAndLattes

VIP Member
I thought I’d chime in on the Kindle / Physical book chat. I was very much “physical books all the way”, I love the smell, browsing them at the shops, reading the back to see what it’s about and reading the first page or so etc but my partner surprised me with a Kindle for Christmas and I am a full convert. I have never read so much since getting the Kindle (for context I read 6 books last year and as of today I have read 18 since the beginning of Jan). I find it so easy if I have a few minutes before an appointment to read a few pages, read on my commute to work, my lunch break, at the beach, pub, pool whatever. I think the convenience has helped me read more (plus I love being able to read when my partner has gone to sleep but I still want to get a few more pages in).

Carapop

VIP Member
STOP MAKING ME BUY MORE BOOKS!!!!

seriously considering taking a few days work to catch up on reading

But my anxiety has been through the roof lately and it makes sitting in one place and focusing almost impossible, especially with a slow read

And so now I’m anxious about being too anxious to read 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Griftwood

VIP Member
First time posting on this thread, bringing a pro tip: if you’ve been trying to get through War and Peace but it feels like a slog, instead of devoting all your attention to it, why not start a couple of even more difficult books on the side? My suggestions are Tristram Shandy and Ulysses. Before you know it, Tolstoy will be your “easy read” 😂 (I’m taking an Open University lit course with the latter two on the reading list and while I dread the final essay, at least I’m finally breezing through W&P in my scant spare time! Silver lining.)

• Haha

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
I have a child free morning so I'm going back to bed with my current read, Before My Actual Heart Breaks. Then I'm going to watch the first episode of Daisy Jones and the Six. A vast amount of chocolate will also be consumed 🥰 Just thought y'all might appreciate this post.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I really enjoyed Daisy Jones. It was just such a different read for me. Certainly not a literature masterpiece but was nice and fluffy and sometimes I like nothing much happening.

I will be watching it soon.

Reactions: 16

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Guys I've gone nuts this month with book buying...over £250 🙈🙈🙈 I've filled an entire bookcase and I have 27 books that I can't fit anywhere and 9 more on the way (to explain, I have an obsessive online shopping addiction - I was really bad with clothes last year and my NY resolution was so sort my shit out. I did really well in January but this month books have been my new obsession. I need to reign it in now 🙈).

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Got an email from Kindle Unlimited to say its increasing to £9.49 per month! Its only £1.50 increase but still seems alot!

• Wow
Reactions: 15

docmum

VIP Member
I feel embarrassed about getting excited for the housemaid sequel today now after the last two posts 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I am really ashamed when I check my online banking and see all the 99p payments to Amazon 🤣

Finished The Housemaid yesterday. It was ok, preferred the start to the ending.

Have made a start with A Little Life. Only 2% in so a very long way to go!

• Haha

biscuitthief

Just finished The Housemaid by Freida McFadden. I couldn't put it down. It isn't a 5 star read but I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was - a popcorn thriller :) Looking forward to reading The Housemaid's Secret tomorrow :D

• Heart

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
So after my comment the other day about being embarrassed about the constant 99p payments from my bank account, I got smart and purchased a £10 Amazon gift card and used that for my books, now only Amazon are aware of my obsession of buying books - I used the whole gift card in one go on 99p books 🤣

• Haha

Mamacita

VIP Member
I also like the kindle cause I can read it with the lights off if my boyfriend wants to sleep

Carapop

VIP Member
Omg same, I only managed four books in February and one of those was an audiobook. I think Betty broke me.
---
New kindle deals tomorrow!

I’m only allowed buy something if it’s on my wish list. I have over 800 unread and at my current average of 4books a month it will take me over 16 years to get through my current library 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Now I don’t feel so bad. I wasn’t going to share because I was ashamed of myself but I’ve easy spent £50 on kindle books. I had a £30 Amazon voucher and I spent that and some.
now I don’t feel so bad ;)

I hope you enjoy your beautiful books … my dream is to have a library x
I'm lucky that my husband doesn't mind and actually bought me a new bookcase (the one I filled in about a week 🙈😂) I've been wanting to broaden my reading horizons so I've been buying a lot of books that I wouldn't usually choose. So far I've been really enjoying everything I've chosen and I've finally got my love of reading back which is so nice after social media basically stole my mojo. I've come off social media completely now and I just focus on reading which is so refreshing.

• Heart

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Finished The Housemaid today and now I've started The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I love how much I'm reading lately. It's so much nicer than mindlessly scrolling.

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Oh for goodness sake 🤦🏼‍♀️
It’s utterly ridiculous. My biggest gripe is removing the word ‘ugly’ from The Twits descriptions - the whole point of the story is that they are ugly on the outside because they’re so ugly on the inside!