Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooooh who would you cast as Eleanor?
casting my mind back, but i think i went for shirley henderson (or at least that sort of type!)

i have to “cast” books in my head when i read them and so am always very disappointed with the tv/film versions 🤦🏼‍♀️
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Ooh didn't know this thread existed till I saw someone mention it on the Hinch thread! I've not read properly for ages, always read religiously every night before sleep but I've lost my way! I started again last night with a book called Sing Me To Sleep, have a feeling its going to be a bit dark but not got far yet! Next up will be an autobiography called Dreams From My Mother by Elizabeth Anionwu, bought it after meeting her about 18 months ago and never even picked it up!
😃 glad you came across! This thread is the total opposite to hinch, but so relaxing and gives lots of motivation to get off tattle and forget the world in a book!

@ordinaryjelly and @tam THANK YOU so much for the suggestions re book shops in Bath. I’m only just winding down from the day. I went to mr e’s emporium first and just got lost in the magic of the twists and turns.. loved their quirky selections that I hadn’t heard of or seen in my local Waterstones. Dockid was very happy in the beautiful kids section too. Didn’t really consider toppings too much after that as I didn’t think it could be beaten but wow. Had a little wander down later in the day and have found my favourite bookshop in the entire world. A sofa for dockid and his dad to sit away from me so I could browse alone 🥰 and they had a whole room tucked away with detective fiction. Plus the ladders. And their covered signed first edition hardbacks were everywhere too! Only downside was that there were a lot of tourists who made browsing irritating at times so I’m planning a trip back on my own, on a week day with an empty suitcase and a week off afterwards ☺

this thread is just wonderful.

085DEB3B-6BCD-4E02-9BDA-9AC49BC2FAE3.jpeg

---
I finally got around to reading The Thursday Murder Club today. Had it on the TBR list for a while, but kept putting it off.

Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. Liked the characters, but felt there were just a bit too many to have to remember who they all were (side characters rather than the main ones) and there were a lot of convenient plot points which felt very unrealistic.

Have the next 2 to read already as someone gave them to me in hardback, so will give them a go and hope they improve for me. Wondering if book one was really about setting the characters up and perhaps the others will be more interesting but its only a 3 star for me I think.
I felt exactly the same as you about the first one. A few family members were raving about it but I felt that I kept having to look back as i couldn’t remember which character was which, there seemed to be just too many. On a positive note, the second is much better and the characters take on much more personality and develop so that they’re identifiable and actually I became quite fond of them. I flew through the second. I have the third but it’s in the tbr pile.
Saw interesting interview with him saying he was writing the fourth and then plans to pause the series. He’s moving over to write a father-daughter private detective agency series (sounded a little like R Galbraith). They are currently casting for the first TMC film and is a good conversation point for those that have enjoyed/read them. (I could see Joanna Lumley as Elizabeth, and Julie walters as Joyce.)
Apologies for super long post.
 
Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 20
This is a little bit petty but why isn't Goodreads counting my books? I have them on there as currently reading and then read. But nothing works. I have read 32 books this year but Goodreads says I have read 0 and need to read 6.5 books a week to reach my goal.
 
  • Sad
  • Like
Reactions: 8
This is a little bit petty but why isn't Goodreads counting my books? I have them on there as currently reading and then read. But nothing works. I have read 32 books this year but Goodreads says I have read 0 and need to read 6.5 books a week to reach my goal.
Double check the dates read and make sure there is a date finished.

That should fix it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I think I’ve asked this on a previous thread but does anyone use collections on their kindle? I’m trying to organise my new kindle Busy deleting all my read NetGalley books and marking my purchased ones as read if I’ve read them. My TBR just on my kindle is wild , never mind my stash of paperbacks and library books to read 😰
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I think I’ve asked this on a previous thread but does anyone use collections on their kindle? I’m trying to organise my new kindle Busy deleting all my read NetGalley books and marking my purchased ones as read if I’ve read them. My TBR just on my kindle is wild , never mind my stash of paperbacks and library books to read 😰
I just have a 'read' collection. So any time I finish a book, I move it into that collection. That's all I use it for but I've seen others have genre collections, NetGalley ones etc
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Started reading The Flatshare (need something light after Babel!) but the voice of Leon is quite off putting - it’s the way he’s narrating his parts. It’s like he can’t finish a full sentence.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
It might be a good idea for me to make a NetGalley collection and a read collection to tidy things up a bit 🤔 any suggestions on collection ideas welcome. I mostly read crime/thriller type novels so not sure I’d bother with genre collections.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I think I’ve asked this on a previous thread but does anyone use collections on their kindle? I’m trying to organise my new kindle Busy deleting all my read NetGalley books and marking my purchased ones as read if I’ve read them. My TBR just on my kindle is wild , never mind my stash of paperbacks and library books to read 😰
Yes I do. I have a TBR collection which I put any new purchase into straight away. I rarely read things right after I buy them so otherwise they’d just slip down the list and get lost! I also have themed collections - classics, by author if I have multiple books by the same one, and by series where relevant. Possibly overkill but makes sense to me!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I think I’ve asked this on a previous thread but does anyone use collections on their kindle? I’m trying to organise my new kindle Busy deleting all my read NetGalley books and marking my purchased ones as read if I’ve read them. My TBR just on my kindle is wild , never mind my stash of paperbacks and library books to read 😰
I have read, unread and prime collections.

I collect books in unread as soon as I purchase them and move them to read when finished. The prime collection has the ones I have borrowed on prime so I know I should read and return or just get rid of if they have been sat there a while. I do it mainly so I know I haven't paid for them so don't get the guilts for deleting.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I think I’ve asked this on a previous thread but does anyone use collections on their kindle? I’m trying to organise my new kindle Busy deleting all my read NetGalley books and marking my purchased ones as read if I’ve read them. My TBR just on my kindle is wild , never mind my stash of paperbacks and library books to read 😰
That’s all I use, collections. I have by author and genre and then I have specific ones. One for my A-Z challenge and the tattle book club, etc. I make these favourites and sim to keep them at the top and so have to ope them regularly and open a book in the folder too. But it works for me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
How many books do you guys have in your TBR collections? Just been sorting through my kindle this morning and have 133 TBR trouble is I add books when I see something I want to read and then never find enough time to read them!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
How many books do you guys have in your TBR collections? Just been sorting through my kindle this morning and have 133 TBR trouble is I add books when I see something I want to read and then never find enough time to read them!
I have about 600 unread on my kindle 🙈

40 unread audible titles

And probably another 100 physical tbr

Plus another 500 odd on my Amazon wishlist 🤣

I have serious issues.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 12
Plus another 500 odd on my Amazon wishlist 🤣
I now feel the need to add more than a handful to my wish list. Then there is more chance that books on my wish list will be discounted.

roll-safe-clever.gif
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
How many books do you guys have in your TBR collections? Just been sorting through my kindle this morning and have 133 TBR trouble is I add books when I see something I want to read and then never find enough time to read them!
Way too many to admit to or even count 😳
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.