Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ooh didn't know this thread existed till I saw someone mention it on the Hinch thread! I've not read properly for ages, always read religiously every night before sleep but I've lost my way! I started again last night with a book called Sing Me To Sleep, have a feeling its going to be a bit dark but not got far yet! Next up will be an autobiography called Dreams From My Mother by Elizabeth Anionwu, bought it after meeting her about 18 months ago and never even picked it up!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 13
Does anyone else get really annoyed with editing errors? 🙈 Like surely the editors read the chapters more than once to make sure they haven't missed anything - but they still do. I've seen whole paragraphs repeated, names becoming interchangeable (Mrs Brown became Mrs Green for a whole page before going back to Mrs Brown 🙈), obvious spelling mistakes and now, and this has infuriated me, I'm reading a book that's split into four different POVs. The first is the main character and the second is a secondary character who meets the main character but doesn't yet know her name. She calls her Godkiller and Veiga (interchangeably) but then the character will have dialogue and it will have "(characters name) said" but the pov character doesn't know her name yet! Maybe I'm being picky but it's soooo annoying.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 11
Does anyone else get really annoyed with editing errors? 🙈 Like surely the editors read the chapters more than once to make sure they haven't missed anything - but they still do. I've seen whole paragraphs repeated, names becoming interchangeable (Mrs Brown became Mrs Green for a whole page before going back to Mrs Brown 🙈), obvious spelling mistakes and now, and this has infuriated me, I'm reading a book that's split into four different POVs. The first is the main character and the second is a secondary character who meets the main character but doesn't yet know her name. She calls her Godkiller and Veiga (interchangeably) but then the character will have dialogue and it will have "(characters name) said" but the pov character doesn't know her name yet! Maybe I'm being picky but it's soooo annoying.
it’s the incredibly annoying, and lazy! they (most of the time) have editors who are actually paid to pick up on these things!

i read a lucy dillon book last year and my god, the amount of errors. the main character’s age changed multiple times, as did the make of her car. she would frequently say something and then contradict it in a flashback. and then she thanked two editors in the end notes! i was like “i’d get your money back tbh”.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
it’s the incredibly annoying, and lazy! they (most of the time) have editors who are actually paid to pick up on these things!

i read a lucy dillon book last year and my god, the amount of errors. the main character’s age changed multiple times, as did the make of her car. she would frequently say something and then contradict it in a flashback. and then she thanked two editors in the end notes! i was like “i’d get your money back tbh”.
I always think this 🙈 I get so mad over it and feel like they should pay me as I'd do a better job 😂 I actually wanted to be an editor when I finished uni but it's another classic "it's not what you know it's who you know" kind of job 🙄

Speaking of characters age - I noticed in Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine she goes from 29, to 31 and then to 30 - I was like, how?! 😂
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Omg I’ve never encountered such errors! so either I’ve had terribly good luck in my book selections over the years or I am desperately unobservant with no memory for detail.

Honestly, my money is on the latter!

I have noticed the occasional typo etc but nothing re continuity or consistency but I’ve a hard time remembering the title of the book I’m reading so…😂
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Guys I'm going mad and started My Year of Rest And Relaxation even though I'm in the middle of 6 other books (incl. one audio, 2 kindle). Someone come and slap me into place 🤣

I really need to finish one of them this weekend or I will feel very bad and disappointed in myself!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I always think this 🙈 I get so mad over it and feel like they should pay me as I'd do a better job 😂 I actually wanted to be an editor when I finished uni but it's another classic "it's not what you know it's who you know" kind of job 🙄

Speaking of characters age - I noticed in Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine she goes from 29, to 31 and then to 30 - I was like, how?! 😂
i remember that in eleanor oliphant too!

i always pay attention to characters’ ages because i like to cast them in my mind (please say i’m not the only person who does this 🤣) or at least picture an actor who could play the role and if there’s inconsistency in what they look like or how old they are it completely throws me/the casting director in my head off!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 6
Noticed this was 99p, I’ve read a couple of Charity Norman’s books and liked them so this might be worth a go.

 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
@OH.FFS I haven’t read that one but I’ve read See You in September and The Secrets of Strangers and liked them both. I think I’ll get it too. 😂 So much for not buying any books and reading what I already have. 🙊
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
@OH.FFS I haven’t read that one but I’ve read See You in September and The Secrets of Strangers and liked them both. I think I’ll get it too. 😂 So much for not buying any books and reading what I already have. 🙊
I had a £30 Amazon voucher and it’s nearly all gone on .99 p books. Lol
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I read a book within the last few months where a character suddenly had a change of name for one page only. I thought I was going mad and hadn’t been concentrating!

Another annoyance (which isn’t book specific tbf) is when two characters are in a restaurant and one of them orders for them both without asking what they want 😅 I would hate that in real life!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I have read In Order To Live by Yeonmi Park in a day today. It is her true life account of life in North Korea, her escape and then her life after. It is both harrowing and inspirational. I cried tears both at her hard moments but also at her best ones.

As an aside. We are all born innocent. But so much depends on which bit of land you had the fortune or misfortune to be born on. Our countries are not without their faults, but Lord knows we have our freedoms.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Finished The Family at No 12 this week, along with This N That by Bette Davis.

Two very different books, the first was a solid thriller that I found myself constantly wanting to continue reading but the ending just turned out to be a bit rushed and shoved together. Second was a fabulous lesson in Hollywood name dropping, seriously... Bette knew everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
@D.W's Library Card I read The Family at No. 12 yesterday and am delighted to have someone else to discuss it with.



It was such a complex story and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. I do agree that the ending was rushed though and it left me with questions. There was also a lot of suppositions from the police and I also wondered how they knew that the Grandmother couldn't read or write.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
@D.W's Library Card I read The Family at No. 12 yesterday and am delighted to have someone else to discuss it with.



It was such a complex story and, for the most part, I enjoyed it. I do agree that the ending was rushed though and it left me with questions. There was also a lot of suppositions from the police and I also wondered how they knew that the Grandmother couldn't read or write.
Yes, without giving anything away I was left with questions, in some parts i'm still trying to piece it together but overall it was really good, I was sucked in VERY quickly.

@twilightgarden do let us know your thoughts once you've finished it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
i remember that in eleanor oliphant too!

i always pay attention to characters’ ages because i like to cast them in my mind (please say i’m not the only person who does this 🤣) or at least picture an actor who could play the role and if there’s inconsistency in what they look like or how old they are it completely throws me/the casting director in my head off!
Ooooh who would you cast as Eleanor?


Also, was listening to Lisa Taddeo on a podcast today. Three Women is being adapted for tv.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.