Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have Small Pleasures on my TBR. It has orange sprayed edges šŸ˜Š Iā€™ve been meaning to read it for ages so will bump it up the list!
Iā€™m reading an ARC of The Wilderness Retreat on my lovely new Kindle. Itā€™s alright so far, hoping it isnā€™t predictable.

Reactions: 2
I have finally made it to 50% of the way through Betty. I dont dislike it. There just isnt anything redeeming about it. I dont think oh I want to read you.

Sometimes thats worst. At least with a hate read youre eager to finish it šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 6
I have finally made it to 50% of the way through Betty. I dont dislike it. There just isnt anything redeeming about it. I dont think oh I want to read you.

I'm at 50% too. Feeling a bit meh about it at the moment but will dip back in over the weekend and see how it is.

Quick question though for people who have read The Alperton Angelsā€¦

Who was ā€œThe Mad Squaddieā€ and did he kill Amanda and Oliver?! Have I missed something?
I think thereā€™s a question by Ellie that suggests he may have had that involvement as the sniper at the end - there was no cctv, the princess wasnā€™t at school etc so it seemed orchestrated. I need to reread it again now but I gave it to my ex as I love pushing brilliant books on people šŸ¤£
What did you think of it?
---
I have the day in Bath tomorrow - any recommendations for bookshops by any chance?

Im at 30% and I keep reading anything except Betty šŸ˜­ I have no desire to pick it up

Reactions: 1
I have the day in Bath tomorrow - any recommendations for bookshops by any chance?
You have to go to Mr B's Emporium. In fact, just spend the whole day there. It is my favourite bookshop in the world

If you just want to spend half a day at Mr B's, then spend the other half in Toppings

Both unique, independent book shops.

Have fun!

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I got to 75% and gave up. Since giving up I read ā€˜faking friendsā€™. I might go back and finish it but for now, Iā€™ve definitely given up on it. I agree, I didnā€™t hate it I just felt like it was tediously hard to keep at it,

Unpopular opinion probably but I just finished A Man Called Ove and was pretty underwhelmed. It was a sweet story but I found it quite slow and not very compelling. The only other Backman I've read is Anxious People, which I enjoyed but didn't love. It feels like there is a lot of hype around Backman but I'm a bit disappointed so far.

Also recently finished Girlfriends by Holly Bourne which I really enjoyed. Such an interesting exploration of female friendships and expectations on women. Very compelling.
I found A Man Called Ove and Anxious People average - enjoyable enough that I finished them both, but nothing special for me and when reading I remember just wanting to get through rather than feeling lost in the story. I loved the first two in the Beartown trilogy though, both 5*'s and fave books of mine, but didn't really get on with the third. So Backman is a bit of a marmite author for me šŸ˜‚

I really enjoyed Girlfriends too! I thought she explored the topic really well and it was quite a fresh read, very different to anything else I've read. Love books about female friendship so any other recommendations anyone has I would love to hear!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I finally got around to reading The Thursday Murder Club today. Had it on the TBR list for a while, but kept putting it off.

Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. Liked the characters, but felt there were just a bit too many to have to remember who they all were (side characters rather than the main ones) and there were a lot of convenient plot points which felt very unrealistic.

Have the next 2 to read already as someone gave them to me in hardback, so will give them a go and hope they improve for me. Wondering if book one was really about setting the characters up and perhaps the others will be more interesting but its only a 3 star for me I think.

Reactions: 5
I finally got around to reading The Thursday Murder Club today. Had it on the TBR list for a while, but kept putting it off.

Not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. Liked the characters, but felt there were just a bit too many to have to remember who they all were (side characters rather than the main ones) and there were a lot of convenient plot points which felt very unrealistic.

Have the next 2 to read already as someone gave them to me in hardback, so will give them a go and hope they improve for me. Wondering if book one was really about setting the characters up and perhaps the others will be more interesting but its only a 3 star for me I think.
I gave up after the first one, just didn't grip me at all, I just didn't care about any of the characters to want to read the second. It was very average at best, lots of characters you don't remember properly and just disappointed me overall.

WELL I finished Babel at last. Not sure if Iā€™d recommend it or not. It started well for me but was far too long and seemed to lose its way as it went on. Couldā€™ve easily been 150 pages less

I think thereā€™s a question by Ellie that suggests he may have had that involvement as the sniper at the end - there was no cctv, the princess wasnā€™t at school etc so it seemed orchestrated. I need to reread it again now but I gave it to my ex as I love pushing brilliant books on people šŸ¤£
---
Toppings and company is one of my favourite bookshop, such a lovely place. They have ladders for their bookshelves!
Also there is a very good second hand shop called skoobs in the indoor market.
Enjoy!

• Heart
Iā€™ve heard both The Maid and the House Maid mentioned here. Wonder which book(s) youā€™re referring to as there are a few under those titles. I just finished The Maid by Nita Prose. It came with good reviews but it fell flat and a bit twee for me. There was one specific detail about the main character which didnā€™t ring true for me and after that, I just kept reading, hoping for redemption. I really wanted to like it.

I just started and am nearly halfway through My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout. It has sucked me in and the writing style is divine.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@or JusRollWithIt I think The Housemaid is referring to the book by Freida McFadden. That's the one I read anyway and I liked it. šŸ™‚ I haven't read any Elizabeth Strout books before but keep seeing them mentioned here, I may have to read one. Are they part of a series?

---
I thought that too but wanted to know who he actually was!

I haven't read any Elizabeth Strout books before but keep seeing them mentioned here, I may have to read one. Are they part of a series?
I believe so, but others here can probably tell us more. I got her name from this thread (or an earlier one) and this was the only book of hers available at our library. Iā€™m enjoying it so far. Something earnest about the writing, not overly sentimental. I mean, I havenā€™t finished it yet, but so far so good.

Thanks for clarifying re the various maid books.

I believe so, but others here can probably tell us more. I got her name from this thread (or an earlier one) and this was the only book of hers available at our library. Iā€™m enjoying it so far. Something earnest about the writing, not overly sentimental. I mean, I havenā€™t finished it yet, but so far so good.

Thanks for clarifying re the various maid books.
I haved loved every one of Elizabeth Strouts books so far. With regards the Lucy Barton ones...
My name is Lucy barton is the first and Anything is possible is the second but that one is simply one written about people who live in her home town so not directly related to Lucy Bartons story. Oh William and Lucy by the sea follow on from My name is so you need to read those in order. Hope that helps.

• Heart
A few quick reviews of recent books read!

The Locked Room - Elly Griffiths
I don't feel like you can go wrong with Elly, I normally despise police procedurals/crime but hers have enough of a 'gimmick' and mystery to make them interesting. This one is set during Covid and I did feel a bit hit over the head with lockdown details. Like yes I get it, I was there!

Winter - Ali Smith
I enjoyed this, even though I really didn't like Autumn. I'm glad as I bought all 4 in a 99p sale without having read any...
The characters in this are great, unlikeable yes, but I enjoy how she weaves various elements of classic literature and Shakespeare together with current events. Glad to feel like I've 'got it' now and will continue with Spring in...spring.

His Bloody Project - Graeme McRae Burnet
LOVED this. It is a fictional historical crime case told through a series of documents. Loved the format, which has a lot more narrative than you'd imagine, although the same events are recounted in a few different ways so some might find it repetitive. I came away not knowing what to believe, it really got me thinking about crime and justice and psychology and is ultimately quite philosophical.

I'm now on Project Hail Mary. I loved The Martian (film) but my issue with this so far is that it's basically exactly like The Martian. I have a feeling I know where it's going, hoping for some twists and turns or at least something as feel-good as The Martian ending.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.