Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey @StatusWoe and everyone else. I've been on Tattle for a while but would like to participate in this Reading Chat thread. Looking forward to sharing thoughts and reflections etc
Hi!

If anyone's interested in Lolita/Nabokov and doesn't mind watching a long-ish YouTube video, I highly recommend this one which talks about some of the misconceptions surrounding Lolita & its adaptations:

Reactions: 4
Books purchased today after the book shop contacted me to let me know that I had a book ordered two years ago still awaiting pick up.

Panic Years by Nell Frizzell - This was the special order book. Maybe it was a special orderbecause I'm not in the UK? I have no recollection of ordering this, but apparently did.

Vladimir - influenced by this thread 😂

Mrs Everything by Jennifer Weiner - Absolutely no clue what this is about, but saw someone I know reading it and she said it was enjoyable.

I also downloaded The Perfect Marriage because it was free on Amazon Prime.

Currently reading Ask Again, Yes. Wasn't loving it at the start and thought it was going to be boring, but it has picked up.

I've recently started to listen to books and am listening to Hunger by Roxanne Gay. Not sure what I think of it yet. I'm not really feeling it so far. It's the first audiobook this year that I haven't loved.

Reactions: 7
I started the Secrets of Strangers tonight. I’m 32% in and I am HOOKED. I don’t want to put it down but I need to go to bed 😭

• Heart
Books purchased today after the book shop contacted me to let me know that I had a book ordered two years ago still awaiting pick up.
I love how you said this casually and then just moved on 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Don't know if I mentioned it before on this thread, but I found an old library book I'd kept since early childhood. I think the date stamp said 1997 or 1999. Anyway, I Googled the library and it doesn't exist anymore so... 😬 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Kind of paranoid about admitting this on a public forum in case the Library Police put me in prison for bookcrime.

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Panic Years by Nell Frizzell - This was the special order book. Maybe it was a special orderbecause I'm not in the UK? I have no recollection of ordering this, but apparently did.

Vladimir - influenced by this thread 😂

Mrs Everything by Jennifer Weiner - Absolutely no clue what this is about, but saw someone I know reading it and she said it was enjoyable.

I also downloaded The Perfect Marriage because it was free on Amazon Prime.

Currently reading Ask Again, Yes. Wasn't loving it at the start and thought it was going to be boring, but it has picked up.

I've recently started to listen to books and am listening to Hunger by Roxanne Gay. Not sure what I think of it yet. I'm not really feeling it so far. It's the first audiobook this year that I haven't loved.
I’ve read the panic years, I found it a pretty good read but a tad slow at times!
---

I started the Secrets of Strangers tonight. I’m 32% in and I am HOOKED. I don’t want to put it down but I need to go to bed 😭
I just googled this and it sounds good! I haven’t read anxious people but is it sorta a similar story line?

Reactions: 2
The joy of finding a book that I have not read since I was 15. :love: Couldn't even remember the title or author. But I found it, borrowed it and will start reading it tonight:
Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks
Has anyone else read it? Hoping its as good as I remember...

Reactions: 3
I’m about halfway through this and really enjoying it. I haven’t had much time to read too much in one go over the weekend so hoping to get through a big chunk, if not the rest of it today.

I am also very easily influenced by this thread. Half way through “out of love” and I am very much enjoying it! Good recommendation (again).

Reactions: 5
I am also very easily influenced by this thread. Half way through “out of love” and I am very much enjoying it! Good recommendation (again).
God damn it. I read it last year (apparently). I wonder should I take a break between books, might it help store their impression on my memory?!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I’ve read the panic years, I found it a pretty good read but a tad slow at times!
---

I just googled this and it sounds good! I haven’t read anxious people but is it sorta a similar story line?
I haven’t read Anxious People either but from the blurb it sounds like a similar premise!

I haven’t read Anxious People either but from the blurb it sounds like a similar premise!
Awesome! I’ve just put secrets to strangers on my list to read next. After the housemaid I really enjoy a “just another chapter” book.
---

God damn it. I read it last year (apparently). I wonder should I take a break between books, might it help store their impression on my memory?!
Hahaha my book memory is terrible. Unless I LOVED it, I probably won’t remember much 😂

I like the title, "Anxious People". The blurb also seems interesting, but I'm not sure, if I'd like to read it?! I think I'll try the extract and decide then. I learnt that it is always best to first download the extract and decide on that if I want to buy the book or not. 😃

Does anyone have any non-fiction audiobooks to recommend, preferably something about psychology, science/biology, or history? And with chapters that are not too long 🤣
I read Better the Devil You Know: Encounters in Forensic Psychiatry recently and it was really interesting.

Another amazing one I read in the past few years is I'll be Gone in the Dark. About the golden state killer.

I'd also recommend the Psychopath Test and The Psychopath Whisperer.

Yes, I like books about psychopaths 😅.

I'm not big on audiobooks but I'm sure these all exist in that format?!
---

I like the title, "Anxious People". The blurb also seems interesting, but I'm not sure, if I'd like to read it?! I think I'll try the extract and decide then. I learnt that it is always best to first download the extract and decide on that if I want to buy the book or not. 😃
I liked Anxious People but by no means loved it. Found it to be a quick, entertaining read. There wasn't enough anxiety for my liking 😅.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I read Better the Devil You Know: Encounters in Forensic Psychiatry recently and it was really interesting.

Another amazing one I read in the past few years is I'll be Gone in the Dark. About the golden state killer.

I'd also recommend the Psychopath Test and The Psychopath Whisperer.

Yes, I like books about psychopaths 😅.

I'm not big on audiobooks but I'm sure these all exist in that format?!
---

I liked Anxious People but by no means loved it. Found it to be a quick, entertaining read. There wasn't enough anxiety for my liking 😅.
maybe the German title for "Anxious People" is more fiting? it's "Eine ganz dumme Idee" ("A really stupid idea"). That sums up the blurb, I think.

I thought it was quite enjoyable, not extremely memorable but a decent quick read!

They do have similarities, although I would say Anxious People is a bit 'quirkier' with more humour, but they're both wonderful books!

Does anyone have any non-fiction audiobooks to recommend, preferably something about psychology, science/biology, or history? And with chapters that are not too long 🤣
We listen to audiobooks on long journeys and tend to go for non fiction.
Unnatural Causes by Dr Richard Shepherd - and the follow up the Seven Ages of Death are brilliant as audio books. He's a pathologist, such interesting recollections.
What Lies Buried by Kerry Daynes is also really good, she's a forensic psychologist.
I'm sure there are others, but can't think off the top of my head. Would need to check my husband's audible account :ROFLMAO:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.