Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it romance, that’s what the blurb sounds like? For once, I don’t think it’s for me 🙈🤣

It is romance but its more about relationships / friendship imo than a full blown romantic book.

It feels real not saccharine. Its grittier than a rom com I feel.

Reactions: 1
I think I now have most of what’s been nominated so far so will be happy with whatever is chosen!

I have just finished Richard Osmans 3rd book ( The Bullet that Missed). I do think that RO writes as though he is speaking - the writing is quite simplistic. I found myself on several occasions wanting to correct the sentence so it reads better. Regardless ( and suspending disbelief ) I do enjoy reading his books. I like the super short chapters and if I’m honest the simplistic language is good for a tired brain ( as I’m not having to think too deeply as the language is straightforward ). So for me - it’s another thumbs up.

Currently reading The Wild Silence ( sequel to the salt path). I am only a few chapters in but not loving it so much this time. Like the salt path I think the book will focus on the struggles of life and hardship. Maybe should have picked another book to read ?? We will see - might pick up yet as I am only a few chapters in.

Reactions: 4
I’m halfway through I am, I am, I am by Maggie o Farrell. She does write beautifully but I’m struggling to care about these little tales. And also a third through The Sense of an ending by Julian barnes. I think it won the Booker or some such. Again, I can’t fault the writing, it is almost like a male Elizabeth Strout, and I love her, but this is leaving me cold.

it might be my current broken brain rather than any book to blame tho!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Carapop I Am I Am I Am is a book that stayed with me for quite a bit especially the story about when she was in hospital as a child 👀
Thank you for saying this. I might pause my reading and pick up again when I’m not so broken brained and better able to appreciate the prose.

Started my wintery/festive themed reads this last week, I don't usually do themed reads but why not. Turns out there's a lot of Christmas themed books that involve murder and other crimes (crime and thrillers are my go to genres). So far read A Very Murderous Christmas edited by Cecily Gayford (10 short stories by classic crime authors), A Christmas Murder Game and Murder on the Christmas Express, both are written by Alexandra Benedict. Got about 8 other festive reads on my list, don't whether I'll do it in time!

I had to pause reading BABEL. My kindle said 15 hours and I am a fast reader. It’s interesting and I think I will like it but after coming out of a reading slump I need something a bit less daunting and lighter. My brain couldnt handle all the language stuff atm

I’ve started the Prison healer instead. Alot shorter 🤣

I started this last night and finished it when I woke up early this morning. I used to read a lot of horror books when I was a teenager and thought I'd be fine with this. I think I've mellowed with age though as I found myself skimming through a couple of events that happened in this book as they were just a bit too grim for me! It was pretty obvious what the story was leading up to and what the theme was that held the stories together but I kept on reading anyway. At least it was short! Feel a bit dirty now. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I wish bought Every Summer After just based on this thread. I will read it after I finish my current book.

I am reading The First Day of Spring based on @Libbylulu comments earlier in the thread, I am absolutely blitzing my way through it, it is gripping and unnerving.
I loved first day of spring. If one can Love such a theme! She writes beautifully. To have the reader empathise with the protagonist is no mean feat. It got me out of a reading slump.

Thank you for saying this. I might pause my reading and pick up again when I’m not so broken brained and better able to appreciate the prose.
Sorry I hope I didn't come across too sharp in my last post. It is definitely not light reading and the content quite troubling at times. The writing can also be a barrier to this as well.

I'd highly recommend her novel The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox if you haven't already picked it up.

Hope your brain feels better soon x

Sorry I hope I didn't come across too sharp in my last post. It is definitely not light reading and the content quite troubling at times. The writing can also be a barrier to this as well.

I'd highly recommend her novel The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox if you haven't already picked it up.

Hope your brain feels better soon x
Omg no not at all! Your post was totally fine. I shall defo investigate. I know I have a few of her others. She writes beautifully. I loved Hamnet. I think maybe I’m mad at her for continually cheating death - my mum died last month. I am all about reading about people dying and grief (Joan Didion’s year of magical thinking is wonderful) or about something entirely unrelated but am being very unforgiving about this near death business 😂

edit to update: I bought the vanishing act in November 2020 apparently! Must stop buying and start browsing my unreads

edit to update: I bought the vanishing act in November 2020 apparently! Must stop buying and start browsing my unreads
Oh so I actually READ this book. I have zero recollection!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I had to pause reading BABEL. My kindle said 15 hours and I am a fast reader. It’s interesting and I think I will like it but after coming out of a reading slump I need something a bit less daunting and lighter. My brain couldnt handle all the language stuff atm

I’ve started the Prison healer instead. Alot shorter 🤣
I ended up reading something lighter/quicker alongside Babel as I found the middle section - well 20-80% - quite slow and I was favouring scrolling instagram with the book on my lap.

Reactions: 2
Yes, i found I kept getting distracted by other things when trying to read it and usually if im gripped by a book then It takes precedence over other things

Does anyone have an recs for Instagram book accounts? I've found lots for romance and YA books, but I have no interest in those! Would love ones more tailored to things like thrillers and crime.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.