Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I listened to the hunger games on there a while ago just for background noise while working as I have read it before. And it was a nuisance as it didn't remember your place like audible does. So hopefully they have improved that
I found that really frustrating too but powered through as I love The Hunger Games. I then went to listen to the second and I couldn’t handle the voice, thought about even skipping to the 3rd or 4th and the voice artist was still awful so just had to pass.

Reactions: 2
I never knew Spotify had audio books! This is a great revelation. I've spotted Trevor Noah Born a Crime which I've seen recommended a few times so might have to give that one a listen.

I finished The Mountain in My Shoe by Louise Beech yesterday and found it a bit disappointing after loving This is how we are Human. Has anyone read any others by her that they would recommend?

Theyre not free sadly, well not the ones I looked at. Audible does seem to be the cheaper option from the little I looked.

Reactions: 1
Theyre not free sadly, well not the ones I looked at. Audible does seem to be the cheaper option from the little I looked.
Big advocate of libraries, most of them have online apps, they are free if you have them.

YouTube has some too.

Reactions: 3
Big advocate of libraries, most of them have online apps, they are free if you have them.

YouTube has some too.
My library does not have many good audio books. I went through my whole wishlist once and they didnt have one :( I was really disappointed

Im trying to get better at allowing myself to abandon a book that I’m just not enjoying. But the guilt of it is something else!

I do find I can do it after the first page or two easily enough, but once I’m a full chapter in I feel I must finish it, even if I’m hate-reading every word

I have a couple on my kindle that I abandoned halfway through and they honestly still haunt me. It’s a total waste of time and energy. There’s no point whatsoever. But I still hate not finishing what I start!
I'm totally the same. I read to the end of Le Grand Meaulnes even though I liked it less as I went on. 🤦‍♀️

Does anyone here watch Between the Covers with Sara Cox? One episode featured Sorrow & Bliss if anyone's interested. I'm sure it was from series 3, but don't recall the number.

Have booked tickets to see the stage production of A Little Life next spring!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Have booked tickets to see the stage production of A Little Life next spring!
!!!!! - i’m so jealous! where is it being performed? i saw yh post on her instagram about a production in germany (i think) but didn’t realise it was actually being expanded from there.

!!!!! - i’m so jealous! where is it being performed? i saw yh post on her instagram about a production in germany (i think) but didn’t realise it was actually being expanded from there.
It’s in London with James Norton from happy valley playing Jude and is also starring an actor from bridgerton whose name I can’t remember and an actor from Its a Sin whose name I also can’t remember 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
It’s in London with James Norton from happy valley playing Jude and is also starring an actor from bridgerton whose name I can’t remember and an actor from Its a Sin whose name I also can’t remember 🤣
i just saw it on twitter, and also only remember james norton 🤣 i wonder if it’s one very long play or two parts - it’s a lot of book to get into one evening! thank you for mentioning it, i’m looking into it too now 💙

unsure about james norton playing jude based purely on how much they mention him being racially ambiguous in the book (and so no one ever truly “knows” him) but i’ll allow it!

Reactions: 1
i just saw it on twitter, and also only remember james norton 🤣 i wonder if it’s one very long play or two parts - it’s a lot of book to get into one evening! thank you for mentioning it, i’m looking into it too now 💙

unsure about james norton playing jude based purely on how much they mention him being racially ambiguous in the book (and so no one ever truly “knows” him) but i’ll allow it!
I agree about the casting of Jude ( I really fancy James Norton but he’s not how I pictured Jude!) I saw someone on insta say if they cast Jude in a movie they’d pick Rami Malek and I can see that

• Sad
I agree about the casting of Jude ( I really fancy James Norton but he’s not how I pictured Jude!) I saw someone on insta say if they cast Jude in a movie they’d pick Rami Malek and I can see that
yes!!! i’ve seen a few people mention rami in fan castings and he makes perfect sense. he’s also got an air of fragility to him which i think works for jude. james norton is just way too handsome - he would have made a great willem instead (that’s who i assumed he was playing when i first saw the cast photo!)

Reactions: 4
I cant remember who was talking about 'Every Summer After' but I started it this morning and Ive read 20% already. I dont usually take a lunch break when I WFH but I did today to read a bit more.

Im really scared that Sam is going to be dead or disfigured or something
😭

My library does not have many good audio books. I went through my whole wishlist once and they didnt have one :( I was really disappointed
I'm a member of three different libraries because I live close to three county borders. You don't have to live in the area to become a library member, just take something that shows your address on to join other libraries :) One of my libraries has rubbish choices for audiobooks, but they don't have fines on physical books, and one I can't get to to take out physical books, so I just use the ebooks/audiobooks.
I think some guy travelled the country and joined up to every library and wrote a book about it .... or maybe I dreamt that!

• Heart
I'm a member of three different libraries because I live close to three county borders. You don't have to live in the area to become a library member, just take something that shows your address on to join other libraries :) One of my libraries has rubbish choices for audiobooks, but they don't have fines on physical books, and one I can't get to to take out physical books, so I just use the ebooks/audiobooks.
I think some guy travelled the country and joined up to every library and wrote a book about it .... or maybe I dreamt that!
Good luck joining the library in my area. Proof of address for the area and your left kidney are the minimum requirements

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I decided to read my unread books before getting any new ones. So that's Pachinko, The Goldfinch and a non-fiction book about Palestine. The first two are long so it should take a while.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.