Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s pretty much how I read War & Peace! Skim read the war bits to get to the more character focussed peace bits. I expected to have to read W&P in stages cos it’s so big but in the end I went straight through in one go, and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would!

Agree about Anna Karenina and Edith Wharton. I studied a lot of American lit at uni and Edith Wharton was a big part of that, often looked at together with Henry James. The House of Mirth is another good Wharton novel and A Portrait of a Lady by Henry James.
oh i love the house of mirth! i’ve always found henry james more difficult but i really love washington square.

i always recommend war and peace to people! i get that the size is daunting but once you focus on only the character parts it’s a more do-able read and such a wonderful book.
My relationship with classics is a bit problematic. I read Moll Flanders, Moby Dick and Pamela or Virtue Rewarded. I nearly died of boredom while reading Pamela or Virtue Rewarded but quite liked Moll Flanders😂 everyone i know who has read jane eyre loved it so much, i did too (the ghost scene was so scary it still makes me shiver even to think about it😂) The problem with Wuthering Heights is that the male character Heathcliff is so unlikable i just wanted to read a romantic book not two people who torture each other😕 Les misérables, The count of Monte-Cristo and Les Fiancés by Alessandro Manzoni are my top 3😻 i love the phantom of the opera too❤
omg les miserables is one of my favourites!

i adore jane eyre - i first read it as an impressionable teen and it was the pinnacle of messy romance for me for years 🤣

people who call wuthering heights a romance just confuse me because there is nothing romantic in that book at all, it’s about obsession and terrible people more than love imo. i like to remind people that heathcliff headbuts a tree out of “love” at one point 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Ahh yes I have heard there is a link in CC2 but I need to hurry up and read it as have been avoiding spoilers so far!🥲

I would love to read at least one classic a year! Have never tried Anna Karenina or War & Peace. I liked Jane Eyre but didn’t enjoy Wuthering Heights.
I tried to be as vague as I could, I know being spoiled when you’re really hyped up to read a book is frustrating.
Their is a link but I won’t say anymore.
I hope you enjoy it when you finally get around to it 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Realised I had never got round to my mid year review so finally got it done now l!

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 36/50 so about 10 ahead of target.

Favourite read so far: The Last Thing to Burn, This is How We Are Human and Appetite For Innocence - can’t pick between those three.

Least favourite read so far: The Club, The Paper Palace and Whisper Down The Lane.

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : I didn’t expect to enjoy Lessons in Chemistry as much as I did - would never have picked it up had it not been for the Tattle Book Club.

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: I’ve just used the £5 free credit after spending £10 on kindle books so keen to get stuck in with them but especially The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I’ve had the hardback since it came out but have never picked it up as it’s too heavy to read comfortably.

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: I had a run of middle of the road duds for a while but things have picked up in my last few reads through July (Last Thing to Burn, This Is How We Are Human, Don’t Make a Sound and Lessons in Chemistry).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Realised I had never got round to my mid year review so finally got it done now l!

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 36/50 so about 10 ahead of target.

Favourite read so far: The Last Thing to Burn, This is How We Are Human and Appetite For Innocence - can’t pick between those three.

Least favourite read so far: The Club, The Paper Palace and Whisper Down The Lane.

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : I didn’t expect to enjoy Lessons in Chemistry as much as I did - would never have picked it up had it not been for the Tattle Book Club.

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: I’ve just used the £5 free credit after spending £10 on kindle books so keen to get stuck in with them but especially The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I’ve had the hardback since it came out but have never picked it up as it’s too heavy to read comfortably.

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: I had a run of middle of the road duds for a while but things have picked up in my last few reads through July (Last Thing to Burn, This Is How We Are Human, Don’t Make a Sound and Lessons in Chemistry).
Oooooh I’m halfway through The Last Thing to Burn! I knew exactly nothing about it except the title when I started. It’s breaking my heart.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Oooooh I’m halfway through The Last Thing to Burn! I knew exactly nothing about it except the title when I started. It’s breaking my heart.
Same here, I’d spotted it recommended on here but didn’t know much about it. I listened to it on audiobook and realised I wasn’t breathing through several chapters. Hope you enjoy the rest of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Crescent city 2 is definitely a ride of a book, with a few little gems.
I won’t spoil it but you should understand what I’m talking about when you get to that part. S J Maas was quite proud of this little gem and the way it’s going to progress the book and future projects 😉
i have just finished the second book and i am so excited for the next one!! How can she leave us hanging there!?

I wish she would switch it up a bit with the writing though, bored of all the growls and grunting and looks that ‘say something’ etc. its the same in every book

BUT she writes a damn good story!!

Reactions: 2
i have just finished the second book and i am so excited for the next one!! How can she leave us hanging there!?

I wish she would switch it up a bit with the writing though, bored of all the growls and grunting and looks that ‘say something’ etc. its the same in every book

BUT she writes a damn good story!!
I feel exactly the same, but we have a bit of a wait now as I think SJM is planning on extending ACOTAR with another 2/3 books.
So she writes 1 of those then moves onto CC after like an alternate year thing.
That ending though…
I was a bit like ermmmm this is wild and I didn’t see it going where it did or what happened so it’ll be interesting to see how she carries that on.

I actually picked CC up on a whim in Waterstones when it 1st came out because it had pretty sprayed edges and sounded promising but I’m so glad I did.
I knew nothing else about her, I had ACOTAR 1 on my TBR and had only previously read her version of cat woman which was really good.
I literally devoured CC1 in days and loved it, then had the long old wait for book 2.

I totally agree about the weird grunts and looks, a bit of smut never hurt anybody but I think she could mix it up a bit in her language and descriptions.
I only have catwoman and CC 1/2 to go on so far and I’ve just started ACOTAR which I’m loving.
It’s a loose beauty and the beast retelling and I try to read as many of those as I can and so far she’s definitely becoming a fave author that I will happily pick up anything she writes with confidence.
I haven’t reached any smutty parts yet in ACOTAR but their is a little bit of a pattern 🙂

I feel exactly the same, but we have a bit of a wait now as I think SJM is planning on extending ACOTAR with another 2/3 books.
That ending though…
I was a bit like ermmmm this is wild and I didn’t see it going where it did or what happened so it’ll be interesting to see how she carries that on.

I actually picked CC up on a whim in Waterstones when it 1st came out because it had pretty sprayed edges and sounded promising but I’m so glad I did.
I knew nothing else about her, I had ACOTAR 1 on my TBR and had only previously read her version of cat woman which was really good.
I literally devoured CC1 in days and loved it, then had the long old wait for book 2.

I totally agree about the weird grunts and looks, a bit of smut never hurt anybody but I think she could mix it up a bit in her language and descriptions.
I only have catwoman and CC 1/2 to go on so far and I’ve just started ACOTAR but haven’t reached any smutty parts yet but their is a little bit of a pattern 🙂
I’ve almost finished ACOTAR 1 really enjoyed it!! I’ve read a lot online about people not liking the first book or atleast the first half of the first book but loved the rest of the series, but I’ve really enjoyed it so can’t wait to read the rest

I’ve almost finished ACOTAR 1 really enjoyed it!! I’ve read a lot online about people not liking the first book or atleast the first half of the first book but loved the rest of the series, but I’ve really enjoyed it so can’t wait to read the rest
I’m a 1/4 of the way through and I’m seeing the loose beauty and the beast references and I’m loving it so far.
I’ve heard it gets better as the series it goes on as well so that’s hopeful and I’m looking forward to continuing it.
I’ve just picked up the boxset of 4books on Amazon for £17 in the prime day deals so I can carry on reading straight away.
It’s been on my TBR for about 2 years and I’m sad I’ve slept on the for so long and didn’t get around to reading it sooner.

I’m a 1/4 of the way through and I’m seeing the loose beauty and the beast references and I’m loving it so far.
I’ve heard it gets better as the series it goes on as well so that’s hopeful and I’m looking forward to continuing it.
I’ve just picked up the boxset of 4books on Amazon for £17 in the prime day deals so I can carry on reading straight away.
It’s been on my TBR for about 2 years and I’m sad I’ve slept on the for so long and didn’t get around to reading it sooner.
Yeah I loved the beauty and the beast vibes!
can’t wait to start the next one

Yeah I loved the beauty and the beast vibes!
can’t wait to start the next one
That’s my favourite Disney movie so when I find a retelling I try to pick them up, some are good some are not so good.
But fairies and beauty and the beast was always gonna be a win for me 😌
I’d love to hear your thoughts as you get further in and I hope you carry on enjoying them x

• Heart
That ending though…

I only have catwoman and CC 1/2 to go on so far and I’ve just started ACOTAR which I’m loving.
It’s a loose beauty and the beast retelling and I try to read as many of those as I can and so far she’s definitely becoming a fave author that I will happily pick up anything she writes with confidence.
I haven’t reached any smutty parts yet in ACOTAR but their is a little bit of a pattern 🙂
i’ve only recently started getting into her books so haven’t had to wait for any ‘new ones’ so this will feel very long!!

ah you’re in for such a ride with the acotar books!

i originally didnt like the first book and was a bit meh about why it was so hyped but i carried on and honestly book 2 onwards is great and you understand why book 1 was needed, it really does lay the base down for rest of fhe series.

i definitely recommend her throne of glass series too but that is quite a long one, like 7 books.

That’s my favourite Disney movie so when I find a retelling I try to pick them up, some are good some are not so good.
But fairies and beauty and the beast was always gonna be a win for me 😌
I’d love to hear your thoughts as you get further in and I hope you carry on enjoying them x
I will for sure update when I carry on reading them!
i’ve only recently started getting into her books so haven’t had to wait for any ‘new ones’ so this will feel very long!!

i originally didnt like the first book and was a bit meh about why it was so hyped but i carried on and honestly book 2 onwards is great and you understand why book 1 was needed, it really does lay the base down for rest of fhe series.

i definitely recommend her throne of glass series too but that is quite a long one, like 7 books.
Throne of glass is the next series on my list!

I only recently discovered her as well, I picked up her version of cat woman and loved it.
Then not long after I read that then CC1 came out, then we all had the long old wait for book 2.
I’m gonna slowly try and get through her back catalogue while we await book 3.
That’s the only series I have to actually sit and wait for from her now which is a pain.

I’m quite enjoying book 1 but if they get better then I’m looking forward to how they progress.
I looked at TOG but wasn’t sure if I would like it, her books have quite mixed reviews on booktube so it’s hard to judge.
So far I’m enjoying what she’s written so I might just go off my own judgement and pick up the 1st book and give it a go.
I have nothing to lose and everything to gain 😌

Tickets booked to see the film of Where the Crawdads Sing. One of my favourite books ever so I’m eager to see how the film compares. Not expecting it to be as good of course, but I hope they do it some kind of justice

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve just finished This is How We Are Human 💔😭

I think I love Veronica and Isabelle just as much as Sebastian.

Question for those that’ve read it… do you think it’d make a good film? I think it’d be ever so sad but they’d need the best actors to do it justice.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Tickets booked to see the film of Where the Crawdads Sing. One of my favourite books ever so I’m eager to see how the film compares. Not expecting it to be as good of course, but I hope they do it some kind of justice
We are going to Cineworld’s unlimited screeNing if this on Tuesday. I’m excited/apprehensive as it’s one of my favourites too.

let us know what you think! I was quite excited but few of the reviews have left me feeling 😩 about it. Its not getting rave reviews but im still interested in ‘real’ people’s view 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.