Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
oof, i feel like prose style is such a personal choice. i’m extremely picky and i hate “basic” by numbers writing. average prose will put me off a book in seconds, even if i’m into the story.

but, books i’ve read where i would say that the prose is gorgeous and deserving of being underlined are:

lincoln in the bardo - george sanders

let the great world spin - colum mccann read it!

a tale for the time being - ruth ozeki hated her other book- the book of form and emptiness, actually abandoned halfway through. Scared me away from her!

the amazing adventures of kavalier and clay - michael chabon one of my favourite books of all time!

the goldfinch - donna tartt
sunnyside - glenn david gold
half of the human race - anthony quinn
all the light we cannot see - anthony doerr

the overstory - richard powers isnt this the one about trees…..???

middlesex - jeffrey eugenides (just don’t read any of his other books you’ll be disappointed!) ooooh I have this on my kindle to read

more recently i thought no one is talking about this by patricia lockwood was very beautifully written (but an acquired taste!) agreed, I gave it five star rating and that’s rare for me

as well as fault lines by emily itami oooooh I have this on my kindle too actually

writers & lovers by lily king. Finished this a few weeks ago. A solid 4 stars

oops sorry that’s a lot 🤣
thanks so much for taking the time to write such a considered response. Seems we have a few books in common! I’ve commented in relation to those I have read. I’ll have to investigate the others. I’m not typically a big fan of historical fiction though saying that one of my favourite novels is the end of the affair by Grahame greene so maybe I need to stop telling myself what I don’t like!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
thanks so much for taking the time to write such a considered response. Seems we have a few books in common! I’ve commented in relation to those I have read. I’ll have to investigate the others. I’m not typically a big fan of historical fiction though saying that one of my favourite novels is the end of the affair by Grahame greene so maybe I need to stop telling myself what I don’t like!
wow we definitely have a lot in common! 🥰 yes, the overstory is the one about trees! it’s unlike anything i’ve ever read before or since. and always lovely to see another kavalier and clay fan!

i thought no one is talking about this was gorgeous. i underlined and saved the whole section where she’s listing the things she wants to tell the baby.

i love love historical fiction so could probably do a whole other list on that 🤣 the end of the affair is a beautiful book, and actually a great place to start for other books with that vibe. i’ll do some research for you!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Great list @LaBlonde! I’m always on the look out for beautiful writing too so lots to add to my wish list there!

The book that jumped to my mind was On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong. Apparently the author is primarily a poet and you can tell…unfortunately the beautiful writing in this case seems to be at the expense of any real plot so I found myself wondering what the point was! Having said that it’s got plenty of gushing Goodreads reviews so it may be that my opinion of it is in the minority!

My all time favourite author for wonderful prose is John Steinbeck. It’s stuff you can really get lost in but they’re not always quick easy reads. East of Eden is my one of my all time favourites.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
wow we definitely have a lot in common! 🥰 yes, the overstory is the one about trees! it’s unlike anything i’ve ever read before or since. and always lovely to see another kavalier and clay fan!

i thought no one is talking about this was gorgeous. i underlined and saved the whole section where she’s listing the things she wants to tell the baby.

i love love historical fiction so could probably do a whole other list on that 🤣 the end of the affair is a beautiful book, and actually a great place to start for other books with that vibe. i’ll do some research for you!
I knew nothing of no one is talking about this before i started and at the beginning wasn’t too impressed but it took my breath away.

some of my favourites from the last year include:
“on earth we’re briefly gorgeous” (the most poetic of prose)
I didnt expect to love “Less” as much as I did
“Leave the world behind” was bizarre and brilliant
And I wish I didn’t read “sorrow and bliss” just so I could read it for the first time again. The writing was just so witty and human and wonderul

‘Later, when we were both in the grip of puberty, our mother said that since Ingrid was evidently getting all the bust, we could only hope I’d end up with the brains. We asked her which was better. She said it was better to have both or neither; one without the other was invariably lethal’

‘Patrick wondered if it was the worst sex that had been had by two people in the UK since records began. For the few minutes it lasted, he had the set expression of someone trying to endure a minor medical procedure without anaesthetic. We got out of bed straight away and dressed with our backs to each other. In the kitchen, drinking tea, I told Patrick that it had been like a terrible party. He said, ‘Because you could not stop making small talk?’ I said no. ‘Because only one person came.’’

Great list @LaBlonde! I’m always on the look out for beautiful writing too so lots to add to my wish list there!

The book that jumped to my mind was On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong. Apparently the author is primarily a poet and you can tell…unfortunately the beautiful writing in this case seems to be at the expense of any real plot so I found myself wondering what the point was! Having said that it’s got plenty of gushing Goodreads reviews so it may be that my opinion of it is in the minority!

My all time favourite author for wonderful prose is John Steinbeck. It’s stuff you can really get lost in but they’re not always quick easy reads. East of Eden is my one of my all time favourites.
Ahaha I just mentioned on earth we’re briefly gorgeous! Great minds 😉 I think because it was a memoir it didn’t need a plot so much. It just told his story. Or parts of it he wanted to share. And when the writing is so beautiful and the writer so invested in character development then I don’t care so much for plot.

I don’t think I’ve ever read Steinbeck! Oh wait…of mice and men right?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What! There's gonna be a film of it!?

ETA: definitely gonna watch that. Cute actors playing the guys. Especially Taylor Zakhar Perez. 😍🤤
Ah I LOVED him sooooooo much in Kissing Booth. I have this on my kindle maybe I should bump this up my list?

Half-year review

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 31/50 so I'm on track

Favourite read so far:
Percy Jackson series

Least favourite read so far:
Verity

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) :
Verity, I don't understand the hype around the book/author

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December:
About to start Shadow & Bone for the first time. Really looking forward to that and then Six of Crows

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?:
A few duds but overall it's been a fabulous six months of books!

Reactions: 3
I don’t think I’ve ever read Steinbeck! Oh wait…of mice and men right?
yes :) but east of eden, as mentioned by @SaintLeo, is an actual masterpiece and you should definitely read it!

i struggled with on earth we’re briefly gorgeous - it is stunning but the part with the monkey very early on just upset me so much that it threw me off the rest of the book. it was like trying to read someone’s dream in that i couldn’t get hold of it, but on the moments when i did it was beautiful!

Found The Guest List by Lucy Foley in the charity shop. Thought it was on my TBR but turns out it wasn't. Pretty highly rated on Goodreads though. Have any of you read it? I started reading Convenience Store Woman on my Kindle last night. Really enjoying it so far!

Flashback to me deliberating between City of Girls and Circe and then reading neither...this always happens.
I started reading The Guest List last month and got half way through and ditched it for something else as I felt it dragged. I may go back to it.

I started reading The Guest List last month and got half way through and ditched it for something else as I felt it dragged. I may go back to it.
I agree I felt it dragged and I even think I moved onto something else, said I would go back and read it but didn't 😂

Oh I meant to say. You were not at all alone in your thoughts on “on earth we’re briefly gorgeous”. Most professional reviews echoed your sentiments - beautiful prose but lacking in storyline and structure.

yes :) but east of eden, as mentioned by @SaintLeo, is an actual masterpiece and you should definitely read it!
Ok well obviously OBVIOUSLY I have to read a masterpiece! Thanks both, I’m inspired to read another day 😘

I'm about 75% through An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. I think it's quite well written and a good premise, but I haven't been wowed by it. Has anyone else read it?

I'm about 75% through An American Marriage by Tayari Jones. I think it's quite well written and a good premise, but I haven't been wowed by it. Has anyone else read it?
i felt the same! i thought it was beautifully written and had great dialogue but i didn’t really fully engage with it. i think the huge time jump made it hard for me to connect with the three main characters. i will say that the last section is by far the best part of it though!

Agree with all of the above re American marriage. It came highly recommended. I thought maybe my expectations were too high. Four stars!

I gave it 4 stars too. I really liked the whole premise and story the author painted. Found it quite a sad book.

Started Boy Parts on Audible, it is very strange. I dont dislike it yet but its quite odd is all I can say.

However I was coming here to say I noticed its on Kindle Unlimited if anyone wants to read it. Author is Eliza Clark.

Somebody, please, ban me from going to The Works or on their website. Just bought 3 more books - their 3 for £5 has gone up to 3 for £6. Still a good deal, but. Boris' Britain.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
For those who enjoyed American Marriage, I thought her earlier book Silver Sparrow was even better!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.